NY Times hires a racist, proceeds to defend her

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: NY Times hires a racist, proceeds to defend her

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't want "victim status" but I would appreciate it if a certain faction of the ruling class (who are themselves white you know) would stop trying to get us all killed.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm
White people trying sooooo hard to claim victim status.

I know those tweets help perpetuate the existing power structure that oppresses white people by normalizing harmful stereotypes about white people that have created practices and institutions that negatively affect the lives of whites.

All people that identify as white really want is to be white, that is keep in place a social structure where they hold economic and cultural dominance and impose their values on those that aren't white by casting all non-white cultural behavior as deviant and a threat to this social structure while being offended at anyone who would suggest they are doing so. So insulting that position is the same as using insults to support that position and anyone who disagrees is the real racist.

Checks out.
You don't oppose racism, you only oppose racism against certain races of people. That makes you a racist by the textbook definition
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:20 pm
I don't want "victim status" but I would appreciate it if a certain faction of the ruling class (who are themselves white you know) would stop trying to get us all killed.
Yeah, those race traitors are a bummer. How dare they resist being part of a system that sees harm done to non-whites as less significant to that done to whites and take a moral stand against self interest.

etc.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:57 am
So does Jeong deserve a second chance like Hader, or not?
Excellent question.

So does Roseanne Barr (who is not a racist) deserve a second chance like Hader and Jeong, or not?

Edited to fix a speeling error.
Last edited by xouper on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:28 pm

I'd say that RCC is siding with a ruling class faction of (white) billionaires, because they use notional anti-racism against the working class.

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 pm

WildCat wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

I know those tweets help perpetuate the existing power structure that oppresses white people by normalizing harmful stereotypes about white people that have created practices and institutions that negatively affect the lives of whites.

All people that identify as white really want is to be white, that is keep in place a social structure where they hold economic and cultural dominance and impose their values on those that aren't white by casting all non-white cultural behavior as deviant and a threat to this social structure while being offended at anyone who would suggest they are doing so. So insulting that position is the same as using insults to support that position and anyone who disagrees is the real racist.

Checks out.
You don't oppose racism, you only oppose racism against certain races of people. That makes you a racist by the textbook definition
White people trying soooo hard to define racism in a way that trivializes the concept to avoid addressing it in a meaningful way.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:49 pm

You mean like hatred and discrimination based on skin color?

Or some fake definition that post modern idiots use?

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:50 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:28 pm
I'd say that RCC is siding with a ruling class faction of (white) billionaires, because they use notional anti-racism against the working class.
Quite the opposite. The main reason I'm so hostile to the idea of anyone culturally identifying as "white" is that doing so forces the assumption that working class people with white skin have interests in lockstep with that ruling class.

When someone makes fun of Appalachian people based on aspects of their shared culture that derive from traditions affected by poverty and exploitation in a way that perpetuates institutional disadvantages, that amounts to a form of racism. However, to call that being racist against "white people" is utter bullshit.

There is no such thing as "white people" There is just a political movement trying to galvanize people not of color to maintain social/economic dominance over people of color.

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

corplinx wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Trying soooooooooooooo hard.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 pm
WildCat wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Checks out.
White people trying soooo hard to define racism in a way that trivializes the concept to avoid addressing it in a meaningful way.
You think the way to fight racism is more racism?

Applying traits to people based on race is racism. You are a racist, wear your label proudly you've earned it.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm
corplinx wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Trying soooooooooooooo hard.
Actually, it didn't much effort at all to show you were being an idiot.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

All people that identify as white really want is to be white, that is keep in place a social structure where they hold economic and cultural dominance and impose their values on those that aren't white by casting all non-white cultural behavior as deviant and a threat to this social structure while being offended at anyone who would suggest they are doing so.
Taken literally, that is factually incorrect.

Your observations, taken literally, are racist by definition, in that you are disparaging a group of people based on their race.

Some white people do that and some don't. The fact that you do not make that distinction is further evidence that your characterization is racist.

Ergo, I am tempted to infer that you were being sarcastic (or something) rather than making a factual statement.

So insulting that position is the same as using insults to support that position and anyone who disagrees is the real racist.
Nice straw man. That's a misattribution of motive for the entire group you are referring to.

Ergo, I am again tempted to infer that you were being sarcastic.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:36 pm
And how exactly do "white people" define racism?

And since it seems you are one of those "white people", then does that observation apply to you as well?

If you wish to quibble about the definition of racism, then please post a citation to the correct definition and explain how "white people" have been getting it wrong.

Since your observation applies only to "white people", you are implying that people of other races never do that. How is that not a racist observation?

Or are you just being sarcastic again?

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:12 pm

xouper wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

All people that identify as white really want is to be white, that is keep in place a social structure where they hold economic and cultural dominance and impose their values on those that aren't white by casting all non-white cultural behavior as deviant and a threat to this social structure while being offended at anyone who would suggest they are doing so.

Your observations, taken literally, are racist by definition, in that you are disparaging a group of people based on their race.

Some white people do that and some don't. The fact that you do not make that distinction is further evidence that your characterization is racist.

Ergo, I am tempted to infer that you were being sarcastic (or something) rather than making a factual statement.
"Being white" is a racist political position trying to frame itself as a race. Simple as that. I can be described as white as far as appearance goes, and in the sense that I am not of color. I do not culturally identify as white. I can culturally identify as an Appalachian and as Polish-American and as working class because those are the values and traits that describe my cultural identity.

Not being "white" That is manufactured bullshit. The only shared cultural trait among those that could claim to be white is finding not being of color as significant. Which is deplorable.

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:13 pm

WildCat wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

You think the way to fight racism is more racism?

Applying traits to people based on race is racism. You are a racist, wear your label proudly you've earned it.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:16 pm

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:12 pm
xouper wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 pm

"Being white" is a racist political position trying to frame itself as a race. Simple as that. I can be described as white as far as appearance goes, and in the sense that I am not of color. I do not culturally identify as white. I can culturally identify as an Appalachian and as Polish-American and as working class because those are the values and traits that describe my cultural identity.

Not being "white" That is manufactured bullshit. The only shared cultural trait among those that could claim to be white is finding not being of color as significant. Which is deplorable.
It seems to me you are conflating culture with biological race, but that may be because I am not completely getting your point. Please clarify on that point. Thanks.

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:47 pm

xouper wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:16 pm

It seems to me you are conflating culture with biological race, but that may be because I am not completely getting your point. Please clarify on that point. Thanks.
Biological race is borderline irrelevant. It is completely a cultural issue that is clouded by a level of pseudoscience and further confused by these cultural issues sometimes having a causal relationship with skin color.

Being "black" as we use the term in the US really isn't about skin color. It is more a shared historical cultural context among those whose culture begins with their ancestors being brought to America as slaves and how that shared history affects their lives.

Just like being an Italian American is a shared culture based on cultural traits brought from Italy and a shared history within America that includes a level of cultural and religious discrimination.

Being working class has elements of the above without any sort of implicit origin story. Shared history and cultural values.

The only way to come up with a concept of "white" is to identify the things those who take that identity have in common. Which is what besides a skin color?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am
I see. Well, I only knew about what has been posted in this thread. It's more than a little troubling that she would refer to a Neo-Nazi as a "friend" though. A bit of a red flag there. Without spending a lot more time researching both of these people, it's a little hard for me to definitively say they are comparable.
How about the fact that NY Times poorly (or not at all) vetted Quinn Norton, got embarrassed and then proceeded to fail at vetting Sarah Jeong? I sincerely doubt there is a lack of talent -- even if you forgo all the privileged white males and females -- that are competent and don't have such incredibly controversial social media footprint.
Well, fair enough.

I did notice that Popehat has been tweeting about it:
Popehat is a prolific twitter user I wonder if one was to go through Popehat tweets if there are such inflammatory and bigoted tweets in there? I doubt that very much yet Jeong seems to get a giant pass on being incredibly unprofessional.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:59 pm

hatred and discrimination based on skin color is wrong

#unpopularopinion?

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:12 pm

I have several objections to your explanation, so perhaps further clarification of your point would be helpful.
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:47 pm
xouper wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:16 pm
Biological race is borderline irrelevant. It is completely a cultural issue that is clouded by a level of pseudoscience and further confused by these cultural issues sometimes having a causal relationship with skin color.
Biological race is not irrelevant. Nor is it based on pseudoscience. There are very clear DNA markers for biological race.

Being "black" as we use the term in the US really isn't about skin color.
That is factually incorrect. Not all black people have the same shared cultural heritage.

It is more a shared historical cultural context among those whose culture begins with their ancestors being brought to America as slaves and how that shared history affects their lives.

Just like being an Italian American is a shared culture based on cultural traits brought from Italy and a shared history within America that includes a level of cultural and religious discrimination.

Being working class has elements of the above without any sort of implicit origin story. Shared history and cultural values.
I get your point about shared cultural heritage, but that is not what the term race means in science.

The only way to come up with a concept of "white" is to identify the things those who take that identity have in common.
That is factually incorrect. DNA testing is another way to identify white people. And black people. And other races (or as they prefer to say in scientific journals: population subgroups which is a loose synonym for biological race).

Secondly, white people do not have a homogeneous culture, and neither do black people. Cultural heritage is a separate issue from biological race. People with a shared cultural heritage do not necessarily have to be from one race, and vice versa.

Perhaps further clarification of your point would be helpful.