Diversion

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Diversion

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm

sparks wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:49 am
We all know the outcome here: Humans will continue to suck up resources at an increasing rate until there is nothing left to consume. Then we consume something else.
FTFY

Human history is a story of one unsustainable development after another. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 pm

But but but...what are we going to eat after Peak Soylent Green runs out? Huh??? :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Edward G. Robinson.

What?

--J. "Myeaaaa! Where's Your Messiah Now, Moses?!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 am

sparks wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 pm
But but but...what are we going to eat after Peak Soylent Green runs out? Huh??? :)
The soylent green will run out exactly one unit before we all do.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm
Edward G. Robinson.

What?

--J. "Myeaaaa! Where's Your Messiah Now, Moses?!" D.
"Are you Master Builder or Master Butcher? Then you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands. And shit."

"Give me this house of Bacca and I'll give you the throne of Egypt. Give me the water girl Lillia and I'll give you the queen of your hearts desire. Give me all that I ask Lord Prince, or give me leave to go..."

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:19 pm

gnome wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 am
sparks wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:50 pm
The soylent green will run out exactly one unit before we all do.
The Soylent Green will not run out. The means to 'manufacture' it will break down into an irreparable state before the last of us check out. But by the time that happens, are there really any humans left on the planet?

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:25 pm

California’s reservoirs are actually near long-term average levels right now. The state’s firefighting resources are vastly overmatched, and help is pouring in from across the country and around the world. There’s even a newly converted Boeing 747 that’s been airdropping flame suppressant.

And still, a tiny bit of rain would do incredibly more good than any amount of water that could be diverted from the state’s lakes and reservoirs by firefighters. A barely measurable sprinkle over the amount of territory that’s currently on fire in California is about 6,000,000 gallons of water — about what the 747 fire bomber could carry in 300 loads, a month’s worth of round-the-clock operations. It’s not water availability in reservoirs that limits the ability to fight these fires — it’s logistics.

The massive Mendocino Complex, now the largest wildfire incident in California history, is burning right next to Clear Lake, the largest natural lake in the state. Firefighters are using water from the lake as fast as they can to help fight the fire. The fire is just 33 percent contained. So no, Mr. President, the fact that water exists in the state does not mean that it’s very useful to combat a fire like this.

Letting rivers run their natural course is not what causes massive wildfires. It’s year after year of hot and dry weather that causes wildfires. And, it just so happens, there’s something we’re doing that’s making weather hotter and drier.

Decades of misguided fire suppression policy and booming urban development in forested areas have contributed to this boom, but the main reason for the surge is climate change. (Even California’s chief firefighter agrees.) For the president to deny the central role of climate change in what’s happening is not only foolish, it’s dangerous.
See https://grist.org/article/president-tru ... -on-fire/# for more details.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 pm

"Decades of misguided fire suppression policy and booming urban development in forested areas have contributed to this boom, but the main reason for the surge is climate change. (Even California’s chief firefighter agrees.)"

That's a good example of an "appeal to authority" fallacy.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 pm

How convenient for you.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm

. . . Decades of misguided fire suppression policy and booming urban development in forested areas have contributed to this boom, but the main reason for the surge is climate change.
Other experts disagree that climate change is the major factor.

See for example:
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/11/2946.full wrote:
Human-started wildfires expand the fire niche across the United States
Jennifer K. Balch, Bethany A. Bradley, John T. Abatzoglou, R. Chelsea Nagy, Emily J. Fusco, and Adam L. Mahood
PNAS March 14, 2017.

. . . Fighting wildfires in the United States costs billions of dollars annually. Public dialog and ongoing research have focused on increasing wildfire risk because of climate warming, overlooking the direct role that people play in igniting wildfires and increasing fire activity. Our analysis of two decades of government agency wildfire records highlights the fundamental role of human ignitions. Human-started wildfires accounted for 84% of all wildfires, tripled the length of the fire season, dominated an area seven times greater than that affected by lightning fires, and were responsible for nearly half of all area burned.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/05/california-wildfires-its-a-people-problem/ wrote:
California Wildfires: It’s a people problem
New analysis says we’re building subdivisions in harm’s way
By Lisa M. Krieger, August 5, 2018 at 7:30 am | UPDATED: August 8, 2018 at 3:36 pm

. . . His major new analysis, published this spring in the journal Natural Hazards, found a 1,000 percent increase in the number of western U.S. homes at risk from wildfire over the past 50 years – from about 607,000 in 1940 to 6.7 million in 2010.

. . . “This is a people problem,” said Jon Keeley, a fire scientist with the U.S. Geological Survey’s Western Ecological Research Center in Sequoia National Park. “What’s changing is not the fires themselves but the fact that we have more and more people at risk.”

. . . While it might seem as if California’s wildfires are increasing, new research by Keeley shows that it is not so.

. . . And as we develop rural areas, we’re also more likely to ignite fires. In early California history, lightning was the major cause of wildfires. Now humans are the dominant source of fires, due to downed power lines, smoking, sparks from equipment and more.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Wildfires are natural, and that many people living in California is not.

The solution is obvious. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:06 pm
Wildfires are natural, and that many people living in California is not.
Truth.