Chris murphy comes out for repealing the first amendment

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Chris murphy comes out for repealing the first amendment

Post by ed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:38 pm

In a car, cant get the citation. Murf is sen from ct, idiot. Met him once so i know.

Please get quote. Dumb fuck.
- new minimalist ethos -

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Chris murphy comes out for repealing the first amendment

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Never happen. (Oops.... wait. I've said that before and it didn't work out well at all!) I suspect the douche-nozzle is an attention whore.

If those who are in that camp actually were able to repeal the 1st, what do you suppose the immediate outcome would be? I'd predict Trump would declare himself King. Someone would get a hold of a nuclear weapon. Washington DC gone in 5 to 7 days. Then chaos, anarchy and civil war. By the end of the first year, half the countries population dead due to conflict and/or starvation. More to follow due to disease.

Putin wins.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:00 pm

This?

“Infowars is the tip of a giant iceberg of hate and lies that uses sites like Facebook and YouTube to tear our nation apart. These companies must do more than take down one website. The survival of our democracy depends on it,” Murphy, D-Conn., tweeted on Monday."

So, my question is. .. I was under the impression that youtube, Facebook etc ran their business as "facilitators" rather than " content providors". And that their business model, especially youtube, depended on that distinction. How much voluntary tone policing can they do (as opposed to complying with mandatory legal obligations) before that is jeopardized?

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm

sparks wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:46 pm
Never happen. (Oops.... wait. I've said that before and it didn't work out well at all!) I suspect the douche-nozzle is an attention whore.

If those who are in that camp actually were able to repeal the 1st, what do you suppose the immediate outcome would be? I'd predict Trump would declare himself King. Someone would get a hold of a nuclear weapon. Washington DC gone in 5 to 7 days. Then chaos, anarchy and civil war. By the end of the first year, half the countries population dead due to conflict and/or starvation. More to follow due to disease.

Putin wins.
Wait? Washington DC gone?

What kind of utopian fantasy is this?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:02 pm

These companies must do more...
Will be the reply to any and all actions "these companies" undertake.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm

And they won't (do more) because their first mandate is to show a profit for the stock holders.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:16 pm

A tweet?

Why should we take a tweet from a senator more seriously than a tweet from the president?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Anyway, he's not talking about repealing the first amendment anymore than Trump is when he says they should change the libel laws or says the media are "enemies of the people".

These are private companies, not the public square.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:19 pm
Anyway, he's not talking about repealing the first amendment anymore than Trump is when he says they should change the libel laws or says the media are "enemies of the people".
Why are you making me defend Trump?

xouper

Post by xouper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Then why is a federally elected politician using his official position to lobby private companies to engage in political censorship that favors his party?

That sounds to me like the government trying promote censorship of political speech, which would be a violation of his oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that [he] will bear true faith and allegiance to the same".

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm

xouper wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Then why is a federally elected politician using his official position to lobby private companies to engage in political censorship that favors his party?

That sounds to me like the government trying promote censorship of political speech, which would be a violation of his oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that [he] will bear true faith and allegiance to the same".
It may sound like it but it's not what it is.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Murphy really is talking about repealing (or more likely ignoring) the first amendment.

As is Trump when he says they should change the libel laws (in a certain way that favors real estate moguls and billionaires generally).
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 pm
Murphy really is talking about repealing (or more likely ignoring) the first amendment.

As is Trump when he says they should change the libel laws (in a certain way that favors real estate moguls and billionaires generally).
Both are campaigning to their base and have no intention of changing anything.

xouper

Post by xouper » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:32 pm
xouper wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

It may sound like it but it's not what it is.
I'm willing to change my opinion if you have a persuasive argument. :)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 pm

William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:51 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:38 pm

Both are campaigning to their base and have no intention of changing anything.
Then they really are talking about repealing the First Amendment, but they are lying.

And if you're right, that is even more disturbing. The think their respective bases want to repeal the First Amendment.

And if they are right, then eventually ...

At this rate I'll end up being the new Nyar if the old one doesn't come back.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm

xouper wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

Why is Trump, a federally elected politician, using his position to try to influence media coverage in a way that favors his party?

By the way, and I mean this seriously, my objection to Alex Jones has nothing to do with where he is on the political spectrum. Jones is trying to frame this as political censorship. I object to Infowars because they straight up lie.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:58 pm

If any media could be fairly accused of being "an enemy of the people" because of their dishonesty it's Alex jones and Infowars.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 am

This is my issue with modern media and people who use them. Tell me, why link to NY Post, which is commenting on a story from Daily Beast about a poll they commissioned?

The actual poll isn't that stark either.
First off, the good news. The large majority of Americans, 85%, agree that the “Freedom of the press is essential for American democracy.” Additionally, two-thirds (68%) say that “reporters should be protected from pressure from government or big business interests.” Majorities of both Democrats and Republicans agree with these two statements signaling deep support for the concept of freedom of the press.

Some of the limits of public support for freedom of the press are made stark with a quarter of Americans (26%) saying they agree “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior,” including a plurality of Republicans (43%). Likewise, most Americans (72%) think “it should be easier to sue reporters who knowingly publish false information.”
Unanimity starts to break down as we more grounded questions. While a plurality – 46% -- agree “most news outlets try their best to produce honest reporting”, there are very stark splits by the partisan identification of the respondent with most Democrats (68%) generally believing in the good intent of journalists, but comparatively few Republicans (29%). And when we ask questions with specific partisan cues, the political split is very wide. For instance, 80% of Republicans but only 23% of Democrats agree that “most news outlets have a liberal bias,” and 79% of Republicans but only 11% of Democrats agree, “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly. Returning to President Trump’s views on the press, almost a third of the American people (29%) agree with the idea that “the news media is the enemy of the American people,” including a plurality of Republicans (48%).

A final statistic is somewhat reassuring, only 13% of Americans agree that “President Trump should close down mainstream news outlets, like CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times.” Here less than a quarter of Republicans (23%) agree along with fewer than one in ten Democrats (8%).
Now back to my question; what the title of the NY Post article "43% of Republicans say Trump should be allowed to shut down media". Quite a bit of "truth massaging" to get that poll to fit into that title...(something something Doctor X's mom).

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm
xouper wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

Why is Trump, a federally elected politician, using his position to try to influence media coverage in a way that favors his party?
That's not a valid analogy. "Influence" is not the same as "censorship". Not even close.

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm
By the way, and I mean this seriously, my objection to Alex Jones has nothing to do with where he is on the political spectrum. Jones is trying to frame this as political censorship. I object to Infowars because they straight up lie.
So does CNN, MSNBC, and the New York Times. But that is not a valid reason to censor them.

And yes, it is political censorship.

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:58 pm
If any media could be fairly accused of being "an enemy of the people" because of their dishonesty it's Alex jones and Infowars.
Fair enough. Still not a valid reason to censor them.