The NYT is at it again

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: The NYT is at it again

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am
The oath is basically to "support and defend the Constitution" and to "well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office". Could an argument be made that the individual is not "well and faithfully discharging the duties of the office"? I think it would be hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt (meaning it would be a subjective judgment, not an objective one).
Disappearing a paper so that the president fails to enact a policy he decided on seems to be a violation of faith and duty that leaves little room for doubt. That is if they can pin the act on someone in the first place.

My mindframe is, if someone can do this to Trump, they can do it to the next guy. What if it was something that the voters wanted, Congress wanted, and the president wanted, stopped because someone in the WH took matters into their own hands? Despite the letter author's protestations, that sounds exactly like a "deep state" subversion of our government.

If they were so righteous they'd refuse to cooperate and go on the record. I am reminded of a marriage where one parent is abusing a child, and the other one thinks they can "manage" the situation and protect the child from the worst of it while still carrying on the relationship and hoping it all works out. It's a fucked up thing to do.

There is, of course, the possibility that it's complete hogwash front to back. But there's no hero to find here either way.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:19 am

My own personal throwaway theory (with no evidence whatsoever)... that it's a subtle message from Pence to the right that they don't have to worry that they're actually enabling someone dangerous and can continue to harness Trump's chaos to keep the Democrats unbalanced. "I got this. Your people are actually in charge behind the scenes." might be the message. In that scenario Pence authored the letter himself. He did deny that any of his staff did it :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:00 am

Here's a cynical thought:

What if that op-ed was a false flag operation designed to inflame the media and rally Trump's base?

Nah . . .

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:57 am

Nobody seemed to comment one way or the other on the Jon Huntsman theory, but to me it seems like the best one put forward so far. Of course he has denied it (without explicitly saying he didn't do it).
"Come to find, when you’re serving as the U.S. envoy in Moscow, you’re an easy target on all sides. Anything sent out by me would have carried my name. An early political lesson I learned: Never send an anonymous op-ed," Huntsman said.
He denied "sending" the Op-Ed, but he didn't actually say he didn't write it if you read his words closely.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:57 am
He denied "sending" the Op-Ed, but he didn't actually say he didn't write it if you read his words closely.
You mean Pence is Clintonian? :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:40 pm

xouper wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:00 am
Here's a cynical thought:

What if that op-ed was a false flag operation designed to inflame the media and rally Trump's base?

Nah . . .
Michael Moore is seriously advancing that hypothesis.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/entertai ... index.html

Moore said he believes Trump is behind numerous White House leaks, including the anonymous op-ed published by The New York Times earlier this month.

"Trump wrote it. Trump or one of his minions wrote it," he said. "He's the master distractor. He's the king of the misdirect. If we have learned anything by now, it's that he does things to get people to turn away. Let me give you the line in there that is most identifiable that he wants the public to believe. It's the line that says, 'Don't worry, adults are in the room.' That's the idea, to get us to calm down and look away from what he's really doing."

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:11 pm

That's the idea, to get us to calm down and look away from what he's really doing.
Which is what exactly?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:11 pm
That's the idea, to get us to calm down and look away from what he's really doing.
Which is what exactly?
You'll just have to watch his movie to find out. 8)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:30 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/us/p ... dment.html
WASHINGTON — The deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein, suggested last year that he secretly record President Trump in the White House to expose the chaos consuming the administration, and he discussed recruiting cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Mr. Trump from office for being unfit.

Mr. Rosenstein made these suggestions in the spring of 2017 when Mr. Trump’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director plunged the White House into turmoil. Over the ensuing days, the president divulged classified intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office, and revelations emerged that Mr. Trump had asked Mr. Comey to pledge loyalty and end an investigation into a senior aide.

Mr. Rosenstein was just two weeks into his job. He had begun overseeing the Russia investigation and played a key role in the president’s dismissal of Mr. Comey by writing a memo critical of his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation. But Mr. Rosenstein was caught off guard when Mr. Trump cited the memo in the firing, and he began telling people that he feared he had been used.
Not evident in that insanity is that several phrases are links to other NYT articles, except for the the highlighted part which is linked to something else:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+a ... e&ie=UTF-8

That kind of sourcing would not pass in high school yet it's just fine for NYT.

Pathetic.