The NYT is at it again

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: The NYT is at it again

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 am

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 pm
In a couple of podcasts I listened to on the way to work this morning, some people made exactly the same point.

If it's true, that some people in the Trump administration are quietly working to undermine Trump's agenda (or even only to stop his worst impulses from becoming policies), the Op-Ed is counterproductive to that effort.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:47 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 am

In a couple of podcasts I listened to on the way to work this morning, some people made exactly the same point.

If it's true, that some people in the Trump administration are quietly working to undermine Trump's agenda (or even only to stop his worst impulses from becoming policies), the Op-Ed is counterproductive to that effort.
Not to mention giving Trump the "deep state" argument.

Drain the Swamp!

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 am

ed wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 pm
shemp wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:54 pm
ed wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 am
For those folks living in la la land who don't think that the LSM can simply lie, I remind you of this, Anax,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48261

And if you think that the op-ed section is anything more than a place for the NYT to froth in indignation in was that would be beneath them on the front page, well... I have a bridge for you.

I think that there is a coordinated effort to undermine Trump, the timing of the book and the release of the "anonymous" op-ed is a bit too convenient for my taste.

Sadly, Trump is not a terribly sympathetic figure so these ham fisted efforts are supported by somewhat intelligent people who, if they carefully considered, would be aghast at what is going on.

The bottom line is that Trump was elected in a fair and open election. Any effort at removing him outside of our legal structures is a coup. I think that that is what the NYT and others are going for. YMMV
The crazy deathmonger continues to grasp at straws as the ship takes on more water and continues to sink.

I predict that if this piece turns out to be true, there will be nothing but crickets from him.
Ah!! Crickets!! A creature with which you are well acquainted from your time on the road. I recall how your antics were the stuff of great amusement in the halls of the privileged which I was wont to inhabit. Ramon, a swarthy dago, recounted an episode from the highlands outside of Cedar Rapids, a town of no account in the center of this great land of ours. Ramon was collecting aluminum shards, using unemployed Norwegians (who are adept at stoop labor,) for resale to the Alcoa Company and had cause to pass time with various people whom the better class ofttimes avoids.

They told of a strange being, a pathetic though loathsome wight who skulked about the remains of homes that were destroyed during the uprising and whose coverings wreaked such havoc on the children of the area. The story went that this creature, whom they called "Shemp" after his shambling gate and repellent appearance, carried a sample case in which he would store crickets. He would frighten the women folk with a barely coherent tale of how the shells of these creatures would serve to protect homes far far better than aluminum. Ramon told of how this creature would gargle balls for a few crickets that he would then add to the fetid mass packed in his pathetic case. The locals would gather round the "Shemp" creature and goad him into paroxysms of barely coherent rage with shouts of "Vinyl, vinyl"!

We, at the Club, would chortle with undisguised mirth at these tales. Sadly, we had more important things to do and, dare I say, monger :wink: , than to spend more than a nonce on your activities. But by all means, keep at it. And remember that even a meritocracy has cracks that one might slip thru if one has the appropriate "skills" if you follow my meaning.
It's obvious that your connection to reality is becoming ever more tenuous by the minute. You should stop stealing random pills from the pharmacy and ingesting them with whatever it is you're producing in the still out back.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:31 am

Christopher Hitchens was a big critic of the concept of Shadow Government. Unelected assholes working together to subvert the democracy behind the scenes.

He was a critic before Iran Contra of this and it was a general leftist principle.

It was nice to see Glenn Greenwald pick up that banner and absolutely scorch the NYT for this.

Shadow Government was the original memetic way of labeling the "deep state" which btw the NYT claimed didn't exist because one of their whore reporters was sucking the dick of someone leaking them information purposefully to subvert elected officials.

The NYT, the fourth column of the Deep State. Fuck off.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:06 pm

And the Trump Derangement Syndrome just keeps on a coming...

Elizabeth Warren Calls For Use Of 25th Amendment To Remove Trump
It’s time we invoke the Constitution to remove President Donald Trump from office, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said Thursday.

In light of the anonymous op-ed by a senior Trump official published Wednesday in The New York Times, Warren told CNN that officials should consider using the provisions of the 25th Amendment, which allows the vice president to take over in case the president is removed from office, dies, resigns or is incapacitated.

“If senior administration officials think the president of the United States is not able to do his job, then they should invoke the 25th Amendment,” Warren said.

The anonymous author wrote in the Times op-ed that, early in Trump’s term, there were whispers among his team of doing just that, but they backed down to avoid a complicated process they thought could trigger a constitutional crisis.
“Every one of these officials have sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States,” Warren said. “It’s time for them to do their job,”

Trump — who’s made his disdain for Warren clear, often with the use of a Native American slur — has raised hell over the op-ed and demanded the Times reveal the author.
:Popcorn:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:28 pm

What the hey, just one more...
Anonymous op-ed shows 'we don't really have a president,' John Kerry tells Stephen Colbert
John Kerry said on Wednesday that reading the anonymously written New York Times op-ed by someone in the current administration scared him and confirmed that America doesn't really have a president."

Kerry, a former secretary of state and Democratic presidential candidate, weighed in on "The Late Show" after The Times published a piece attributed to a senior administration official who warned of an internal plan to thwart President Donald Trumps agenda.

"It scared the hell out of me," Kerry said to Stephen Colbert. "You know what it really means, Stephen, is that we don't really have a president. We have a president who is there, but he's not capable of doing the job or living up to the responsibilities."
Okay.....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Skeeve wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:06 pm
And the Trump Derangement Syndrome just keeps on a coming...

Elizabeth Warren Calls For Use Of 25th Amendment To Remove Trump
It’s time we invoke the Constitution to remove President Donald Trump from office, Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said Thursday.

In light of the anonymous op-ed by a senior Trump official published Wednesday in The New York Times, Warren told CNN that officials should consider using the provisions of the 25th Amendment, which allows the vice president to take over in case the president is removed from office, dies, resigns or is incapacitated.

“If senior administration officials think the president of the United States is not able to do his job, then they should invoke the 25th Amendment,” Warren said.

The anonymous author wrote in the Times op-ed that, early in Trump’s term, there were whispers among his team of doing just that, but they backed down to avoid a complicated process they thought could trigger a constitutional crisis.
“Every one of these officials have sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States,” Warren said. “It’s time for them to do their job,”

Trump — who’s made his disdain for Warren clear, often with the use of a Native American slur — has raised hell over the op-ed and demanded the Times reveal the author.
:Popcorn:

Ha. Ha. It's almost as if they don't realize every new political trick they come up with can be used against them later.

You can bet Republicans are taking notes.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:44 pm

shuize wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Ha. Ha. It's almost as if they don't realize every new political trick they come up with can be used against them later.
If the 25th amendment shtick works, no future president will ever serve a full term.

Or maybe the Dems expect that once back in power it will be forever.

Because HistoryTM (pbuh) is on their side and shit.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Latest conspiracy theory:
This shit actually makes Trump look good, so maybe he's behind it. :BigGrin3:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 pm

shemp wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 am
ed wrote:
shemp wrote:
ed wrote:
For those folks living in la la land who don't think that the LSM can simply lie, I remind you of this, Anax,

And if you think that the op-ed section is anything more than a place for the NYT to froth in indignation in was that would be beneath them on the front page, well... I have a bridge for you.

I think that there is a coordinated effort to undermine Trump, the timing of the book and the release of the "anonymous" op-ed is a bit too convenient for my taste.

Sadly, Trump is not a terribly sympathetic figure so these ham fisted efforts are supported by somewhat intelligent people who, if they carefully considered, would be aghast at what is going on.

The bottom line is that Trump was elected in a fair and open election. Any effort at removing him outside of our legal structures is a coup. I think that that is what the NYT and others are going for. YMMV
The crazy deathmonger continues to grasp at straws as the ship takes on more water and continues to sink.

I predict that if this piece turns out to be true, there will be nothing but crickets from him.
Ah!! Crickets!! A creature with which you are well acquainted from your time on the road. I recall how your antics were the stuff of great amusement in the halls of the privileged which I was wont to inhabit. Ramon, a swarthy dago, recounted an episode from the highlands outside of Cedar Rapids, a town of no account in the center of this great land of ours. Ramon was collecting aluminum shards, using unemployed Norwegians (who are adept at stoop labor,) for resale to the Alcoa Company and had cause to pass time with various people whom the better class ofttimes avoids.

They told of a strange being, a pathetic though loathsome wight who skulked about the remains of homes that were destroyed during the uprising and whose coverings wreaked such havoc on the children of the area. The story went that this creature, whom they called "Shemp" after his shambling gate and repellent appearance, carried a sample case in which he would store crickets. He would frighten the women folk with a barely coherent tale of how the shells of these creatures would serve to protect homes far far better than aluminum. Ramon told of how this creature would gargle balls for a few crickets that he would then add to the fetid mass packed in his pathetic case. The locals would gather round the "Shemp" creature and goad him into paroxysms of barely coherent rage with shouts of "Vinyl, vinyl"!

We, at the Club, would chortle with undisguised mirth at these tales. Sadly, we had more important things to do and, dare I say, monger :wink: , than to spend more than a nonce on your activities. But by all means, keep at it. And remember that even a meritocracy has cracks that one might slip thru if one has the appropriate "skills" if you follow my meaning.
It's obvious that your connection to reality is becoming ever more tenuous by the minute. You should stop stealing random pills from the pharmacy and ingesting them with whatever it is you're producing in the still out back.
My connection to reality has always been tenuous. That is a characteristic of entrpeneurs, if it weren't that way we'd all be wage slaves. Who the hell in their right mind would bet the ranch on "Black"? Right?

So, what was your point again?
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 pm

In all seriousness, think about what happened.

The NYT published a screed that they say is "authentic" that supports the existence of a secret, unaccountable government. It speaks to the wet dreams of those suffering from TDS so that they glom onto the contentions without a thought to the ramifications. In essence, they are supporting a coup by unknown, purported "officials" who have not been elected and who are engaged in behavior that might be described as treasonous. And, no, Trump is not close to having committed treason.

This is a fucking dangerous situation.
- new minimalist ethos -

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:09 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 pm
In all seriousness, think about what happened.
Idiots and a weird system combined to elect a president so incompetent and unstable that this op-ed is at all plausibly accurate? That's what happened.

It's a stupid op-ed. Both on part of who wrote it and who published it. As someone put it, it is the same as a person bragging about giving anonymously to charity.

People on the inside of an awful regime that claim to be lessening the excesses of that regime are not the resistance. Those are collaborators. This guy when found out is going to have a fan club of nevertrump GOPers and that's about it. Probably not even that. The more and more people reflect on this the more he will be seen as a craven coward attention whore that caused way more trouble than he prevented.

The part that should worry people is that Trump called this treason, as if government employees not showing him personal loyalty by criticizing him is treason. He's obviously an unhinged autocrat.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:09 pm
Idiots and a weird system combined to elect a president so incompetent and unstable that this op-ed is at all plausibly accurate?

Which is better?

A "weird system" with a constitutionally elected president you don't like?

Or a shadowy unelected cabal?

Because that's the choice we've been handed.

shemp

Post by shemp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:28 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm
Idiots and a weird system combined to elect a president so incompetent and unstable that this op-ed is at all plausibly accurate?

Which is better?

A "weird system" with a constitutionally elected president you don't like?

Or a shadowy unelected cabal?

Because that's the choice we've been handed.
Ridiculous.

How about "weird system" vs. "get rid of electoral college and let the people actually elect the President"?

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:28 pm

The part that should worry people is that Trump called this treason, as if government employees not showing him personal loyalty by criticizing him is treason. He's obviously an unhinged autocrat.
That's the least worrying bit.

If the limit of "unhinged autocrats" bad behavior was exclaiming "treason!" on twitter, then unhinged autocrats would have a far more benign reputation than they actually do.

Trump is limited to tweets. No-one has disappeared in the middle of the night (except presidential decorum and journalistic integrity )

shemp

Post by shemp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 pm
shemp wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:49 am
ed wrote:
shemp wrote:
ed wrote:

My connection to reality has always been tenuous. That is a characteristic of entrpeneurs, if it weren't that way we'd all be wage slaves. Who the hell in their right mind would bet the ranch on "Black"? Right?

So, what was your point again?
My point is that you're an idiot who came in here claiming the whole thing was made up by the lying liberal press, without any evidence whatsoever. Stay thirsty, my friend!

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Shemp wrote:My point is that you're an idiot who came in here claiming the whole thing was made up by the lying liberal press, without any evidence whatsoever. Stay thirsty, my friend!
I am saying, I will speak slowly now for denizens of the short bus, that one can't know. The Times has lied and, I suspect, will lie to undercut Trump. He cannot win with them.

That said, I think that the "anonymous Op-Ed" is bullshit. insofar as their claims about it.

You can believe negative stuff about Trump in the NYT, feel free.

eta. I may well be an idiot. Can't know that either, can you?
- new minimalist ethos -

shemp

Post by shemp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:58 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:37 pm
Shemp wrote:My point is that you're an idiot who came in here claiming the whole thing was made up by the lying liberal press, without any evidence whatsoever. Stay thirsty, my friend!
I am saying, I will speak slowly now for denizens of the short bus, that one can't know. The Times has lied and, I suspect, will lie to undercut Trump. He cannot win with them.

That said, I think that the "anonymous Op-Ed" is bullshit. insofar as their claims about it.

You can believe negative stuff about Trump in the NYT, feel free.

eta. I may well be an idiot. Can't know that either, can you?
To paraphrase Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, I may not be able to define idiocy, but I know it when I see it.

In ancient Rome
There was a poem
About a dog
Who found two bones
He picked at one
He licked the other
He went in circles
He dropped dead

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Despite my various speculations, my hypothesis remains "made up shit by NYT staffer" pending further evidences.

But it's interesting to see the Dems all line up on the side of "unelected cabal" (if they can't retcon the election).

It might even be a "fake it till you make" it ploy by the NYT whereby they call the cabal into existence by demonstrating how much support it would have.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:25 pm