Russia Has Some Nerve

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Russia Has Some Nerve

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Full story of the investigation and identification of the suspects who are Russian military intelligence agents.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Giz

Re: Russia Has Some Nerve

Post by Giz » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm

GRUsome way to die.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:54 pm

You did NAZI that coming.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 pm

I was just Putin it out there!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Sure sounds like you were Stalin

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Why be so grave. I just wanted to Beria couple of sabateurs.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm

I am seeing Red.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:32 pm

It's not all Red, just a couple of Marx

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Working all the Engels, I see. Kapital stuff.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:16 pm

You have to get the whole collective to Lenin to it to get results.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:18 pm

When I ski, I do not rush.

I trot.

*Crickets*

What a lousy party.

--J.D.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Ah, the trots. The true enema of the people.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Too many puns, not enough red caviare.

There. That's better. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:10 am

And it's still caviar and not caviare.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 am

Reminds of a Japanese video clip I saw about salmon fishing somewhere in the U.S. or Canada. The local fisherman was gutting the fish and, to the shock of the Japanese reporter, throwing the roe back in the water. The reporter was practically weeping and I thought he might jump in after it.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am

Apparently RT has interviewed the poisoning suspects. According to the Washington Post, the interview wasn't very convincing.

How badly did Russia’s interview with the Skripal poisoning suspects backfire?
RT, Russia’s state-backed international broadcaster, aired an exclusive interview with the two Russian men accused of poisoning Sergei and Yulia Skripal in the English town of Salisbury. The two suspects denied all involvement, claiming to be tourists interested in Salisbury Cathedral.
Just too guys from Russia with a particular interest in old British cathedrals in out-of-the-way places? Sounds legit.
This interview could have been simply one more episode in the fierce narrative battle between British and Russian authorities. However, this does not appear to have been the case, according to the latest research from the “Reframing Russia” project, which looks at the state broadcaster’s efforts to reshape Russia’s external image. The data suggest that — for RT, at least — this broadcast backfired.

RT has tried to discredit the British case

In its earliest reporting on the Salisbury poisoning, RT sought to draw into question key elements of the official British case. RT headlines focused not on the case itself, but on how the British media was reporting it. One headline, for instance, read “Blame precedes evidence.”

RT’s reporting was factually accurate, based on statements from the police or headlines generated in mainstream media outlets. However, the network told the story from the Russian point of view, with Russia merely responding to other states’ actions.

RT relied heavily on a particular selection of guests who highlighted inconsistencies in official United Kingdom accounts. Russia’s ambassador to Britain gave his thoughts in op-eds and interviews. “Putin’s former spin doctor,” Alexander Nekrassov, was another repeat commentator.

Likewise, former British intelligence officials Charles Shoebridge and Annie Machon contributed to several talk shows. Machon and Nekrassov also provided commentary for the BBC, but other regularly featured experts gave conspiratorial contributions unlikely to be hosted on other networks.

The tone of RT’s programming tended to vary dramatically, depending on the program and the journalist hosting it. One consistent theme throughout the Skripal coverage was the network’s critiques of Western political institutions and Western media. RT coverage also employed dismissive irony, humor and informality — and used social media responses to show there was wider skepticism about British claims.

Did this strategy work? Yes — but only initially.

Our social media research suggests that, initially, English-speaking RT audiences accepted RT’s skepticism about official British accounts of the poisoning. RT’s YouTube “Skripal” playlist of 60 videos has more than 1.6 million combined views and more than 32,000 comments. These videos were upvoted a total of 32,000 times, compared with only 4,200 downvotes, which suggests viewers largely agree with their content.
Do most of you who have cable get RT as a channel? Just wondering. Anyway, even for people who don't, they seem to be popular on Youtube, and anyone with internet access probably has access to RT via YouTube. So essentially we give a platform for Russian state propaganda. It's not all propaganda. There's some legitimate news too. But that all helps to make it seem more legit overall when they do slip in the propaganda.
To understand how audiences were reacting to RT’s reporting, we analyzed the top 100 most-liked comments on two specific videos discussing the Skripal case. On one video, 73 percent of the comments suggested there was a conspiracy at work, with claims such as “it is more likely the CIA poisoned them to place blame on Russia.” Some 44 percent of comments were critical of Britain and its allies, and 27 percent noted inconsistencies in British claims. Only four of the comments were critical of Russia, Putin or RT’s claims.
In response to another video, 35 percent of commentators suggested conspiracy theories, 95 percent of the comments were critical of Britain, and 26 percent suggested inconsistencies in the British narrative. Only one of the top 100 comments was critical of Russia — but it also stated that the British government was similarly untrustworthy.

And then the interview landed

The previous data show that RT viewers were generally skeptical of the official British account of the Skripal poisoning. But this week’s interview with the suspects marked a dramatic change — the top 100 most-liked comments included many from viewers who felt the interview was ridiculous and that the suspects’ stories were implausible. Fully 74 percent were critical of the claims presented by the suspects.

Some viewers even noted that the interview itself had changed their opinion of the whole affair: “Not a very convincing interview at all … I wasn’t doubting the Russian government until I saw this interview,” was one comment. Others saw it as reason to doubt the RT network, calling it “fake news.” In comparison, only 16 percent of the comments were critical of Britain, while 4 percent suggested the interview was an example of Russian trolling.
In the past, RT generally relied on humor to neutralize negative reactions. This time, the editor in chief who interviewed the two suspects struggled to deflect the criticism and dramatically hung up during a telephone interview with the BBC.

Perhaps the response of English-speaking audiences is no real concern, if the main purpose of the interview was designed more for domestic audiences. But if that was the intent, the interview also appears to have failed. Russia’s state-controlled domestic TV ignored the video’s critical reception, but newspapers have not been so forgiving. And the YouTube comments on RT’s Russian version of the interview have been just as negative as those in English. One viewer said: “Until today I perceived this Skripal story as Britain’s provocation. But once I saw these two idiots, my view has been shaken.”

To date, RT has pitched itself as a network at ease with the new digital world, prepared to tell uncomfortable truths in a media environment dominated by the institutions and power structures of the “West.” Criticism of the network, RT suggests, is fueled by Russophobes frightened at its challenge to those in power.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare