President Trump May Use Military to Build Border Wall

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: President Trump May Use Military to Build Border Wall

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:29 pm

I remember being subjected to it while reciting my 11 general orders, mask off.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:20 pm
Well that's an interesting factoid.

Tear gas is not actually a gas.
No. I sell it, actually.

I recall getting a box of rounds from a PD somewhere. I was taking the rounds out and checking them. Anyway, there was this white dust all over the place. I brought my face close and blew it off.

Ever have one of those experiences where when you are in the act of doing something you realize it is a terrible mistake? Like that time you drank a bit and stood up to do Karaoke? Or stood up in a corporate meeting the closely question your CEO on some aspect of personnel policy? As you start you say to yourself "Oh Fuck". As I started blowing I said to myself (too late) "Oh Fuck".

I had the presence of mind to close my eyes and sorta avert my face. Got it right in the kisser. Stumbled into the bathroom and ran water over my face for a bit. Very unpleasant. And, yes, a powder.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:37 pm

It smells sorta plesent though, right Rob?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't know if I would call it pleasant. It has an unmistakable smell but I don't know that I could describe it. Interesting question that. Something between bleach and ammonia maybe. Unique.

On reflection, the word 'sweet' somehow applies.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Like apple blossoms.

Not when it's concentrated.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah, I went through boot camp too so I have experienced it and it wasn't pleasant at all in the room.

If you were outside and just caught a whiff of it from afar it might be different.

In boot camp they make sure you get the full effect. Although I think they don't make you recite anything anymore. Or maybe it depends on your CC. But I think they have rules now that they can't keep you in that room past the standard time, which is apparently 15 seconds nowadays.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:54 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:41 pm
Yeah, I went through boot camp too so I have experienced it and it wasn't pleasant at all in the room.

If you were outside and just caught a whiff of it from afar it might be different.

In boot camp they make sure you get the full effect. Although I think they don't make you recite anything anymore. Or maybe it depends on your CC. But I think they have rules now that they can't keep you in that room past the standard time, which is apparently 15 seconds nowadays.
By the time I retired in 97 they had pussified almost all training. When I first went to shipboard firefighting in 78 I thought for sure i was going to fucking die; scary as shit. When I last went in 95 or so I was worried that I might get wet.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:16 pm

And did you?

No, yeah. I'm sure boot camp was kinder and gentler by the time I went through it in 92.

We had girls in our company. It was a brand new thing, and I was in one of the very first gender-integrated boot camp companies. In Orlando. You probably went to Great Lakes.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Nope, Orlando for me too. I was there over christmas. It snowed Jan. 19, 1977. Uniform of the day did not include the utility jacket.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Yeah I arrived in early February myself. Used to remember the exact date, but I left the Navy in 98 and early February (I'm gonna say the 3rd) is what I can recall. Other than a couple nippy mornings when I was happy to do a few pushups just to warm up, there was not much cold.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Meanwhile, back to the reality to this stupidity:
Facing no way into U.S., some caravan members head home

Outside the Benito Juárez migrant shelter in Tijuana, dozens stood in line Monday for a chance to return to their home country, a day after chaotic clashes at the border dimmed their hopes of entering the United States.

Members of the Central American migrant caravan slumped in a line late afternoon to ask for return passage, after traveling for more than a month and trekking thousands of miles by foot, by bus and crammed into the beds of trucks for days.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Others said they had economic duties to fulfill in Central America. And a small handful said they did not want to face any legal consequences for the violent confrontations with border agents and Mexican federal police on Sunday.

Standing in the line to return to Honduras, Jonathan Canales, 27, shrugged his shoulders while his friends teased him about being a “cry baby.”

Canales, a plumber in Honduras, said he left behind his wife and 2-year-old daughter to earn money for his household.

“I thought I’d already be working in the United States by now,” said Canales, who said he’s been in the migrant camp in Tijuana for 15 days.

Canales said his reason for leaving was not the violent turn of events Sunday when the United States Customs and Border Protection agency fired tear gas at groups, including women and children, trying to pass through gaps in border fencing and wiring. The scuffle happened after a few in the group launched rocks across the border at agents.

“No, no, no, the reason, like I told you, is we have to pay … or leave our home,” Canales said, eager to see his family and get back to work in his home country.

But Maria Granados, 22, said she had enough of “peaceful marches” becoming dangerous and she wanted to return to her 2-year-old daughter, who she left in Honduras.

“Yesterday, and in the past; that’s not why I came here,” Granados said, adding she was giving up on the idea of crossing into the U.S. “They’re not going to let us pass.”

Some San Diego Paper with Too Long a Name to Justify Typing Here Since We have Better Things to Do Like Educate xouper about the Subtle Differences between Using Mirrors on the Moon to Measure the Speed of Light and a Kick in the Crotch
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm

The Media Was Wrong About the Caravan

Wow! Does that mean it's Miller mea culpa time?

It’s roughly the three-week anniversary of CNN reporter Jim Acosta repeatedly telling President Donald Trump at a press conference that the migrant caravan is “hundreds and hundreds of miles away” and “not an invasion,” and objecting to a campaign ad that showed migrants climbing border walls — “they’re not going to be doing that.”

Now, thousands of migrants from the caravan have arrived in the border city of Tijuana, Mexico. Over the weekend, hundreds of them stormed a border crossing, climbing the fence and throwing rocks. U.S. border agents used tear gas to repel the mob. If the throng was too small to constitute an invasion, it certainly wasn’t a rules-bound group of asylum-seekers.
It was conventional wisdom in the press that the caravan was a concoction of Trump’s fevered imagination. It soon would dissipate and even if not, take months to reach the United States. This widely repeated factoid was based on calculations of its movement on foot (it apparently didn’t occur to anyone that the caravan also would travel by bus or truck).
:doglaugh:

Pay no attention to that conveniently empty flat-bed tractor-trailer that just happens to be going the same way.....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Migrants in Tijuana Regret the Caravan: ‘I’m Done With the United States’
TIJUANA, Mexico—After fleeing tear gas shot at the U.S. border, Carlos González confessed confusion and second thoughts about the caravan that carried him to doorstep of his dream: life in the United States.
But the U.S. border has proved impossible so far for the more than 7,000 migrants anxiously arriving in Tijuana, where they’re waiting in the squalor of a small baseball stadium-turned-tent city.
At the Chaparral border crossing, Central American migrants and Mexicans hailing from states rife with violence lined up to put their name on a list to have their claims heard.

Jeffrey Renderos, 31, put his name in a ledger and received a ticket with the number 1655. Renderos, a bearded Honduran who fled gang threats and arrived in Tijuana six months ago, figured he would wait at least a month to have a hearing—though he wasn’t complaining. He couldn’t contain his scorn for the caravan, however.

“If they acted like civilized people, it would be different,” he said. When asked why he held such a poor opinion of fellow Hondurans, he responded, “You saw the way they clashed with police?”
Imagine that, someone who doesn't appreciate line-cutting, even for th3 childr3n...go figure.
The arrival of so many caravan travelers and images of clashes with police have exposed an unseemly underbelly of xenophobia. A poll in the newspaper El Universal showed 49 percent of Mexicans saying caravans shouldn’t be allowed to cross the country.

“First Mexico and Mexicans,” read one comment in response to the polls.
Mexico first?
How tribal of them....

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Here's an idea to stop the wall ...

Destruction of butterfly sanctuary to build T's wall!! Lets do major publicity directed to kids
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211545774
Anti smoking campaign led kids to beg parents to quit smoking!

Some of my friends talked about their children doing this. Friends stopped smoking.
Not a lot of answers yet, but I expect a long thread.

I'll check back later. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Trump could be the most honest president in modern history
Donald Trump may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history. Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time. He said that he “enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history” (actually they are the eighth-largest) and that “our economy is the strongest it’s ever been in the history of our country” (which may one day be true, but not yet). In part, it’s a New York thing — everything is the biggest and the best.

But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office, Trump has done exactly what he promised he would do.
Where Trump has failed to keep promises, such as building the wall or repealing Obamacare, it has not been for a lack of trying.
Trump says he’ll do ‘whatever it takes to get border security’ as shutdown looms
So when trump wants to build a wall, and threatens to shut the government down...that is a bad thing....

But when Barry (no balls) Obama did the same thing over the "affordable care act" well....
that was different....

Okay...