Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Post by corplinx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Welp, the vote is about to happen. Let's see if the Commies won or if I'll be mining their salt all weekend.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 pm
corplinx wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 am
The problem with "believe women" is your motto should be "don't believe anybody".

Of all the shallow things to try to wedge people around. They have these fake protestors running around asking Senators "DO YOU BELIEVE WOMEN?"

SEE, HE DIDNT ANSWER ME, Y IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE WOMEN?!?!

The only thing worse than Trump are the people he has unhinged.

SAD
"believe women" (or more generally, believe sexual assault victims) is one of those phrases that can be taken and intended different ways. Such as "black lives matter"... ambiguous between "black lives matter (too)" and "(only) black lives matter" (the dipshit interpretation)
Basically. They are talking about accusations being dismissed out of hand and the accuser being treated as if the accusation is more of a concern than the sexual assault. Not that any woman should have the power to point a finger and the accused be put in jail.

Even so:

Framing this is terms of guilt w/r/t the assault is a smokescreen. This is a job interview, not a trial with a burden of proof. He isn't being put in jail, or even losing the job he has. He trying to show his fitness for a very important job.

We learn a lot about people when they think they are being treated unfairly. We now know that this person becomes combative, angry, shows poor composure, and will tell petty lies to protect his interests. That should be the end of it. I can't imagine anyone acting the way he did with his testimony and being hired as a paralegal, much less a judge.

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 pm

corplinx wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm

As Rand Paul's wife wrote to Corey Booker, her family now receives death threats from unhinged people constantly and it's time for the Democrat thought leaders to start walking it back.
I'm sure they will get right on that. I mean, they were so condemned that Trump's trash talking the press would lead lead to violence, they'll definitely stop this, right?

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 pm

If Kavenaugh doesn't get voted in Trump should recess appoint him during the midterm break, along with hundreds of other federal judges the Democrats are blocking. You can bet McConnell won't symbolically keep the Senate open to prevent this like he did during Obama's term. The GOP will pick up several seats in the midterms, and these appointments can be made permanent once the new session starts.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:33 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 pm
I can't imagine anyone acting the way he did with his testimony and being hired as a paralegal, much less a judge.
He has a stellar career and record. Kennedy apparently shadow nominated him.

So I guess this is just evidence that you are a poor judge of who is qualified. Who do I believe, Kennedy or some po-dunk Monday morning quarterback on the internet? I'll take the qualified opinion instead.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:39 pm

This is a job interview, not a trial with a burden of proof.
Bullshit. The first hearings were a job interview. The second one was a witch trial, the McCarthy hearings, and a Soviet show trial all wrapped into one.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm

It was Her Turn, WildCat.

You, and the nation, keep refusing to accept that.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Basically. They are talking about accusations being dismissed out of hand and the accuser being treated as if the accusation is more of a concern than the sexual assault. Not that any woman should have the power to point a finger and the accused be put in jail.
It's both actually, and that's the problem when a slogan is so infinitely vague.
Even so:

Framing this is terms of guilt w/r/t the assault is a smokescreen. This is a job interview, not a trial with a burden of proof. He isn't being put in jail, or even losing the job he has. He trying to show his fitness for a very important job.
While his reputations, name, and his family gets pulled through an ocean of bullshit.
We learn a lot about people when they think they are being treated unfairly. We now know that this person becomes combative, angry, shows poor composure, and will tell petty lies to protect his interests. That should be the end of it. I can't imagine anyone acting the way he did with his testimony and being hired as a paralegal, much less a judge.
Yes I am sure these kind of political circuses are common for a paralegal job.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:59 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:30 pm
corplinx wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 am
The problem with "believe women" is your motto should be "don't believe anybody".

Of all the shallow things to try to wedge people around. They have these fake protestors running around asking Senators "DO YOU BELIEVE WOMEN?"

SEE, HE DIDNT ANSWER ME, Y IT SO HARD TO BELIEVE WOMEN?!?!

The only thing worse than Trump are the people he has unhinged.

SAD
"believe women" (or more generally, believe sexual assault victims) is one of those phrases that can be taken and intended different ways. Such as "black lives matter"... ambiguous between "black lives matter (too)" and "(only) black lives matter" (the dipshit interpretation)

Even so:

That is pretty much what I expected.

The diabolical way that Feinstein (and Schumer) treated this woman and these proceedings puts any objection they might, at the eleventh hour raise, in the hazard. I hope that voters have attended to their antics well.

As far as Kavanaugh's demenor ... had he been stone faced I suspect that you would observe that lack of affect can typify a psycotic, or at least a sociaopath. I'd rather have some well directed anger than a performance succh as "Tanker" Mike Dukakis:
Massachusetts Governor Mike Dukakis didn't exactly charm his way into voters' hearts during the 1988 debates with his response about whether he would support the death penalty should his wife, Kitty, be raped and murdered. A longtime opponent of the death penalty, Dukakis responded to the startling question from CNN's Bernard Shaw, "No, I don't, Bernard, and I think you know that I've opposed the death penalty during all of my life. I don't see any evidence that it's a deterrent and I think there are better and more effective ways to deal with violent crime." While some criticized the fairness of the question, to viewers the answer seemed both dispassionate and dismissive.
Can't imagine what you would have said had he responded that way.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm

WildCat wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:15 pm
If Kavenaugh doesn't get voted in Trump should recess appoint him during the midterm break, along with hundreds of other federal judges the Democrats are blocking. You can bet McConnell won't symbolically keep the Senate open to prevent this like he did during Obama's term. The GOP will pick up several seats in the midterms, and these appointments can be made permanent once the new session starts.
I'm not sure that'll work with a Supreme.

However, if the Republicans come out ahead in the mid terms, Trump can just reanimate him and there will be an express confirmation with no debate. Because the Democrats previously changed the rules in a way that makes that possible.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:20 pm
I'm not sure that'll work with a Supreme.
Why not?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 pm

corplinx is a meanie and I'm going to pander to him to get on his good side.

Here you go, buddy ...

I'll be a True Skeptic TM and note the possibility the captions are misleading. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Looks like Collins is a "yes", and she's pissed by the slimeball antics of the Democrats.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Susan Collins: “I will vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh”
Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) is voting yes on confirming Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. On Friday, she gave a long announcement on the Senate floor to announce her vote and explain her rationale.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Manchin also a "yes"

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Sen. Manchin is “Yes” as well.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Everyone is milking it for all they can. 10 minute speeches to explain things.

Scruffy hears you, Scruffy don't care.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Red State Senators voting Red for Kavanaugh, I'm so shocked. I wonder what kind of Payoff Murkowski is holding out for?

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:36 pm

corplinx wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 pm
Red State Senators voting Red for Kavanaugh, I'm so shocked. I wonder what kind of Payoff Murkowski is holding out for?
They don't need her now.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Manchin surrounded by screeching protesters when announcing his decision. I wouldn't be surprised if he switches parties after the election.