Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:22 pm

We don't wear camo in the Navy. Bell-bottom dungarees were the working uniform. Dress blues and dress whites were for ceremonial occasions. There was not much firearms training for us in boot camp. One trip to a firing range and I fired a few rounds from a pistol. Too long ago to remember much more about it. I joined as an E-3 so there was no possibility of further promotion straight out of boot camp.

As to the mom, her sons may beg to differ with you.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:22 pm
We don't didn't wear camo in the Navy.
fixed 'cause they do now.

but however and ... now that they all have their seabags bought, the navy is doing away with them.
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/navy-an ... m-1.422513

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Blue camo, so that if you fall in you blend in.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:52 pm

That seems... odd. Maybe it makes them feel more military? But then, surely light grey camo would help them blend in better if they were boarded?

Maybe I am over thinking, and it is as simple as not making deck crew give away the ship's position as it runs down civilian freighters.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Makes 'em feel tough. Note the toughie on the right, above.
below.
Grrrrrrrrrrrr....
eL2u0Kq.jpg
She could board my freighter anytime. :D
<probably kick Lister's ass>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

WildCat wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 am
Remember the GOP Senators who were doxed last week? Today an arrest was made.
Today, the United States Capitol Police arrested the Suspect who allegedly posted private, identifying information (doxing) about one or more United States Senators to the internet.

Jackson A. COSKO, age 27, of Washington, D.C., has initially been charged with 18 USC § 119 Making Public Restricted Personal Information; 18 USC § 1512(b)(3) (Witness Tampering); 18 USC § 875(d) (Threats in Interstate Communications); 18 USC §1030(a)(3) (Unauthorized Access of a Government Computer); 18 USC § 1028(a)(7) (Identity Theft); DC Code § 22-801(b) (Second Degree Burglary), and DC Code §22-3302 (b) (Unlawful Entry).

The investigation will continue and additional charges may be forthcoming.
https://www.uscp.gov/media-center/press ... us-senator

You guessed it, a Democratic Party staffer. Currently working for Sheile Jackson Lee.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jackson-cosko-20582866

And, well, looks the part...

UPDATE: NO Bail for Cosko
A Democratic Capitol Hill staffer, who was arrested last week for allegedly doxxing several prominent Republican senators, may have been planning more attacks, prosecuting attorneys have revealed.

Jackson Cosko was denied bond in a hearing Tuesday, The Washington Times reports. A D.C. judge determined Cosko was a "threat to the community" after prosecutors revealed further details of Cosko's arrest and subsequent searches made of his home, storage unit, and car.
Cosko will remain in custody until his trial. He's also been fired from the offices of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), where he served as a "fellow." Initially Lee called Cosko an "intern," but it has since been revealed that Cosko was being paid to serve in Lee's office by an "outside organization," and that Lee trusted him with official communications made on her behalf.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 am

A bit of mild media criticism:

Does ‘White Male Rage’ Exist?
Many journalists covering Brett Kavanaugh’s angry Senate testimony made claims more sweeping than the evidence they provided to back them.
The piece is a bit lengthy. Perhaps more so than it needs to be, but here are a few excerpts:
Many compared his approach before the Senate Judiciary Committee to that of Clarence Thomas, another Republican nominee to the Supreme Court who stood accused of sexual misconduct and lashed out at Democrats, angrily impugning their motives with a show of indignation. But despite those parallels—and prominent voices that preemptively urged Kavanaugh to draw on Thomas’s testimony as a model for getting confirmed—many other observers cast the anger that Kavanaugh displayed as a trait of the racial and gender groups to which he belongs.
Variations on the phrase white male rage were everywhere. Some meant only to suggest that Kavanaugh could get away with shouting and crying in a way that an African American or a woman never could. While anger would be a more accurate word than rage, I have no objections to folks who raised that hypothesis; indeed, I am convinced by the evidence for gender inequities in responses to male and female anger.

Many others, however, used white male rage to suggest a group characteristic, implying that white men manifest a kind of rage worth distinguishing from the familiar emotion known to humans of all races and genders. Had they carefully marshaled evidence for the proposition that white men are disproportionately “enraged,” rather than angry within normal parameters; that they are statistically more likely to manifest rage; or that their rage is different in kind from that of other groups, I’d have read their arguments with curiosity. But that isn’t what happened.
(omitting a review of what used to be considered "best practices" for journalists.)
As a result, many still adhere to those journalistic norms. And yet, with the rise of digital journalism and social media, the mainstream consensus about best practices has evaporated. A commitment to avoiding unjust treatment of historically marginalized groups has thankfully survived. But a faction that wields disproportionate power in journalism no longer considers it unjust to publish sweeping, disparaging generalizations and stereotypes about historically privileged groups.

Indeed, those in this faction do so with regularity and relish, as though the fact that their coverage is not causing equivalent harm, when compared with traditional racism or sexism, somehow implies that what some among them characterize as “punching up” is therefore unobjectionable. An important, ongoing debate vehemently contests their moral conclusion.
Perhaps you've heard the cliche that the job of a reporter is to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable"? Therefore they think it's OK to use "sweeping generalizations and stereotypes" as long as the target is a "historically privileged group." Because those people are seen as "comfortable" and therefore a proper target to "affflict."

However:
I write as a journalist painfully aware that the mission of mainstream publications is existentially threatened by the declining public trust in our profession. I want the subset of my peers who reject moral arguments against some stereotypes and derogatory generalizations to examine their output with regard to accuracy, precision, context, and relevance, for the sake of the Fourth Estate as well as the nation, which is helped by public discourse that surfaces truths while harmed by falsehoods.
Skipping ahead to one of the specifica examples he refers to:
In a column titled “The Angry White Male Caucus,” Paul Krugman—a frequently angry white guy, I grant!—writes that “white male rage isn’t restricted to blue-collar guys in diners. It’s also present among people who’ve done very well in life’s lottery, whom you would normally consider very much part of the elite.” It is certainly true that anger, as well as rage, manifests across social classes. But that is not unique to white men.
. . .
The columnist doesn’t ever manage an internally consistent theory of “white male rage.” He is unbothered by the contradiction of attributing the phenomenon to Kavanaugh’s supreme confidence in an unchecked, insulating privilege ... and to the fallout from a psychologically discomfiting loss of that insulating privilege. Nor does Krugman notice that both of his unfalsifiable, inconsistent theories of what ostensibly enraged Kavanaugh are undercut, not bolstered, by Kavanaugh’s explicit call to expose the behavior of Bill Clinton, who was, after all, an anomalously powerful, privileged, white male graduate of Oxford and Yale Law who stood credibly accused of sexual misconduct against multiple women.
And one more:
For brevity’s sake, I’ll skip to the apotheosis of this ascendant trend in the mass media: an article published in a storied magazine that typically holds itself to much higher standards. “A Modest Video Artwork About White-Male Rage Filmed at Yale’s DKE Chapter” appears in The New Yorker. It features a video of fraternity boys screaming into a camera. But is the video really “about white-male rage”?

Here is the author’s description of how he created it as a Yale art student in 2007:
At the time, I knocked on the door of the DKE house and was welcomed in by a fraternity member. I asked whether they would be willing to participate in a shouting competition, to help me make a video artwork. The winner, I explained, would be given a keg of beer. I chose beer because it seemed like the obvious prize for any frat-house game, and because it could be shared with all participants. They kindly agreed to collaborate.

I showed up a few days later with my video camera, tripod, and the beer keg. Each participant tried to scream as long and as loud as possible for the video camera. They were excellent performers, and I thanked them for helping me make the video. One participant was particularly outstanding. He was so good at shouting that I worried he might burst a brain vessel. He won the prize, and the beer was shared around.

It was a fun evening.
What’s the relevance of a video portraying “kindly,” welcoming Yale frat boys who willingly indulged an art student’s request to yell into a camera? Surely they exhibited an absence of “white male rage,” not the thing itself.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 am

What can I say, but "Krugman?"

--Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart probably
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:39 pm

Male rage exists.

Why make a racial issue out of it, particularly when all involved are the same race?

Does it energize the base?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:50 pm

They told the base that the faces he made when chastising the Senate for leaking the identity of Ford, were him daring to show his teeth to his betters (the Democrats on the committee). Then they portrayed that tone as the only tone he showed despite it being less than 1 percent of his time.

Now they are writing essays about their own strawmen. It's turtles derangement all the way down.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm

However, male rage does exist, no matter how irrelevant that fact may be to the present discussion.

The race baiting doesn't even bolster the supposedly feminist point. Perhaps with Democrats it has become a conditioned reflex.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Meanwhile, an Angry Jewish White Man planned to blow himself up with a 200 lb bomb on election day to highlight his political views.

Evidences

You all mock me for telling you it was Her Turn!

[
The alleged plot was disrupted, the feds said, after they questioned Rosenfeld a day earlier and he admitted to a sprawling plot supposedly inspired by his fervent belief in "sortition." That's the (ancient Greek) idea that politicians should be randomly selected from the body politic—possibly incentivizing regular people to be less ignorant of the issues at play, since they can't rely as much on professional politicians.
--Ed.]

Hush!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Huh, 200 lbs of black powder. Was he going to sneak it in under an exceptionally large trench coat?
Presumably he got cold feet after realizing he'd skipped leg day at the gym too many times.

Also, kind of an odd PR move:
"Don't trust people you choose, place your trust in random members of the public" said random member of the public as he blew himself up.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 pm

This one may actually be nuts. Apparently, he was caught because he started texting and/or messaging a complete stranger who, surprisingly, contacted authorities.

But, yeah, how he planned to transport that to the Mall is anyone's guess.

--J.D.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

hmmmmm shades of Guy Fawkes

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Maybe he thought he could slink out wearing one of those masks? :BigGrin3:

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm
hmmmmm shades of Guy Fawkes
Except that Fawkes cardinal sin was wanting a Catholic theocracy.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 pm

This Guy. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 am

Doctor X wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:37 pm
This one may actually be nuts. Apparently, he was caught because he started texting and/or messaging a complete stranger who, surprisingly, contacted authorities.

But, yeah, how he planned to transport that to the Mall is anyone's guess.

--J.D.
Chosen at random perhaps? :D
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:57 am

Meanwhile, this is slightly interesting:

Susan Rice's Republican son assaulted at Kavanaugh rally
The son of former President Barack Obama’s national security adviser was assaulted this week — by liberals at one of America’s elite universities.

According to the Stanford Daily, John David Rice-Cameron is pressing charges against one of a group of counterprotesters who he says “hit me” and pushed him with force in the Stanford University free speech area.

The attacks on a Tuesday event supporting the nomination of now-Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court was captured by students’ smartphones and posted to the Stanford College Republicans’ Facebook page.

Mr. Rice-Cameron, the SCR president, is the son of Susan Rice, who is now expressing interest in running against Sen. Susan Collins, Maine Republican, over her vote to confirm Justice Kavanaugh.

Stanford student Melinda Hernandez, a sophomore, was arrested on battery charges.
From what I could Google it appears that her husband is a white Canadian dude who is a TV producer for ABC. There are family pictures. Her biracial son is not just a Republican, but the president of the College Republicans at Stanford. He was in the designated "free speech area" when he was attacked.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/04/ian-offi ... -producer/
Last edited by Anaxagoras on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Shakespeare