Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Post Kavanaugh vote thread

Post by ed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 am

They never lie.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:16 am

ed wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:08 am
They never lie.
Fuckin A!

1. Rolling Stone to Pay $1.65 Million to Fraternity Over Discredited Rape Story

2. 10 Years Later, The Duke Lacrosse Rape Case Still Stings

And now we have the latest from Abduls post above...
3. Another Kavanaugh accuser admits to fabricating rape story

And every lying THOT makes it that much worse for the next person who is raped or sexually asaulted....

Yes a success, a flaming success!
Then Skank Of America could start in...

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:20 am

I'm glad to see two of the rape accusations falling apart are getting the press attention they deserve.

I'm sure the media will apologize to Kavanaugh for their part.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 am

So, now 4 out of the 6 admitted they lied. Yet we're supposed to "believe all women"?

eta: though IIRC one of them was a man.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:28 am

We pretty much know Ford lied, we just can't prove it. And since she got a book deal, she's not recanting. She has to live the lie now.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am

But it was Her Turn.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:26 am

Majority U.S. Women: Democrats Used Kavanaugh Sexual Assault Accusations for Political Gain
Yes, it is Breitbart, however they do quote from a real poll.
This specific question is on page 200 of that poll (yea its big).
The latest Harvard/Harris Poll finds that the majority of American women and men say Democrats were not genuinely concerned with the accusations of sexual assault made by Christine Blasey Ford, but instead were using the allegations and the accuser to score political points.

When asked, “Do you think Democrats were genuinely concerned about Dr. Christine Ford and her allegations towards Judge Kavanaugh, or were they just using the allegation for political purposes in order to block Kavanaugh’s nomination?” about 55 percent of all U.S. voters say the Democrats were “just using the allegations” to stop Kavanaugh from getting on the Supreme Court.
Despite the establishment media and Hollywood’s “Believe Women” campaign, the vast majority of American voters — including 84 percent of women and 85 percent of men — say when it comes to sexual harassment allegations, the standards of the legal due process should be applied. Only 15 percent of voters say the legal due process should be “relaxed.”
Nice to know...

Poll: https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-conten ... Voters.pdf

ed

Post by ed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:40 am

Restores a bit of faith.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm

"Believe Women" taken to mean "Assume the man is guilty" is really a twisting of the idea. Kind of like how "Black Live Matters" was reacted to as if they said "Only Black Lives Matter"

That some extremists play that subversion straight is not a discredit to the original idea.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm
"Believe Women" taken to mean "Assume the man is guilty" is really a twisting of the idea. Kind of like how "Black Live Matters" was reacted to as if they said "Only Black Lives Matter"
did you see the Kavanaugh hearings?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 pm

gnome wrote:

That some extremists play that subversion straight is not a discredit to the original idea.
IMO there's a definitely an uncomfortable level of overlap between "Believe Women" and "Assume the man is guilty". It's not that unexpected, this tends to happen with all politicized issues/slogans.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm

gnome wrote:

I wouldn't have a problem with a "Listen to Women" slogan. But when a woman says "rape" and a man says "not rape," "Believe Woman" sure sounds like "assume the man is guilty" to me.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:22 pm

gnome wrote:

Au contraire. Saying that all lives matter was characterized as racism. And the Obama era suggestions to colleges definitively characterized the man as the perp and the woman as the victim.

No twisting, that is the intent. For both of them.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 am

"Take Sexual Assault Allegations Seriously" doesn't make a good catchphrase, but "believe women" implies "assume men are guilty". Period.

I agree on the Black Lives Matter weird exclusionary dislogic by conservatives. Convincing me that "believe women" is the same is a bridge too far since the Kavanaugh hearing shows you that the people largely using it are exactly what you are telling me they aren't.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:27 am

The latest I read was that Kavanaugh will be a disaster for the separation of Church and State. :mrgreen:

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:22 pm
gnome wrote:

Au contraire. Saying that all lives matter was characterized as racism. And the Obama era suggestions to colleges definitively characterized the man as the perp and the woman as the victim.

No twisting, that is the intent. For both of them.
On the "All Lives Matter" -- I think there IS an objectionable implication. It implies it as a contrary point to "BLM", as if the original slogan was in opposition to the idea that all lives matter, when it was not. A strawman argument by false contrast. I wouldn't throw "racist" around because of it though--people throw straw for all kinds of reasons.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 pm

corplinx wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 am
"Take Sexual Assault Allegations Seriously" doesn't make a good catchphrase, but "believe women" implies "assume men are guilty". Period.

I agree on the Black Lives Matter weird exclusionary dislogic by conservatives. Convincing me that "believe women" is the same is a bridge too far since the Kavanaugh hearing shows you that the people largely using it are exactly what you are telling me they aren't.
I don't entirely disagree--in fact I have opposed that interpretation among fellow lefties myself. What I'm saying is that the "Take Sexual Assault Allegations Seriously" interpretation is not made wrong by the more malicious interpretation, and to assume everyone saying it means the latter is incorrect generalizing.
--Soldier, TF2

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:20 pm

There is a tipping point where it's time to abandon ship on branding. I think it is has passed for this one.

I'm not saying your are wrong, I'm saying that the "real meaning" is so lost that it's no longer worth "being correct".

ed

Post by ed » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm

How in the world can saying that all lives matter (which, btw, includes black lives) be objectionable in any way whatsoever?