Texas will KILL your BABIES!!11!

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Texas will KILL your BABIES!!11!

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Now that you have been trolled. . . .

Oddly enough, as I have blathered before, Texas has some rather progressive laws that allow doctors to stop treating hopeless cases. One of them was signed into law by then Governor George the Younger which led to a brief partisan "He Not Pro-Life!!" squeal until someone actually bothered to look into it.

Followed this sad case. I could have titled this What Happened When "But My Feels!" Meets Reality and Lawyers Suck and Swallow but Not as Good as Your Mom:
A judge in Texas has denied a further restraining order to keep a nine-year-old girl, said by doctors to be brain dead, on life support. Focus on that term "brain dead." It means "dead." With the period. As in "dead" with all references to the Norwegian Blue. There is no debate about this. Not even appeals to "would you bet your life" will change that [Stop that.--Ed.] assuming the determination is proper. Given the legal wrangling and details of absent blood flow, the answer to that is, "Of course! What do you think we are? Ignorant Okies?"

Payton Summons suffered cardiac arrest late last month but her parents obtained a court order forcing a hospital to keep her alive. Good example that a judge can "violate" the law. Brain death is a legal determination shared across the United States. It is suppose to avoid this mess.

However, the district court judge said the burden of proof for a further order had not been met, US media report.

The current order is due to expire on Monday, the family's lawyer said.

Payton "suffered a devastating injury to her brain due to being without oxygen for over an hour" "Dead girl!" as a result of a tumour in her chest that had stopped her blood circulation, doctors at the Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth said in a statement, quoted by local channel KTVT.

Payton's parents had not yet decided whether to apply for a new restraining order, lawyer Justin Moore told CNN.

"This presents a great issue for parents in the state of Texas," he said. No, it does not. Maybe in a state that thinks reality is only a matter of opinion. Oh wait! "Texas!" You, as an advocate for your clients, should have done your homework rather than prey upon their emotions.

"They don't know how to proceed when they have a child put in this condition as Payton Summons has been put in. Same as any whose child has died. You mourn. You move on.

"So I believe our fight is going to continue on in order to carve out some real narrow language in the law to provide courts, lawyers and parents guidance because that's what they need in times like this." IT ALREADY IS YOU FUCKING VUL [Breath.--Ed.] ture! That is why there are brain death statutes based on actual science and the fact that NO ONE properly diagnosed as ever "recovered." You Cunt!

[Snip!--Ed.]

Under Texas law, a person is considered dead when they have lost all brain function, the hospital added. Under all statutes basically. It is more than that.

Payton's parents filed a temporary restraining order to keep her on life support while they tried to find another hospital that would accept her.

However only two out of more than 20 institutions contacted said they might take her - "and those were preconditioned on certain things which may be life threatening to Payton if performed", another lawyer for the family, Paul Stafford, told CNN.

Bugger'd by Colonists
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Texas will KILL your BABIES!!11!

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Advances in robotics should eventually create a niche market for people who would commission a robotic duplicate of their loved one. AI may already be sufficient to mimic the loved one's personality; add a reasonably-similar voice and the family could pretend that the loved one is still alive, which in turn could provide incentive to allow the loved one to slough off the mortal coil.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 am

But with slight personality tweaks, please, or we'll be overrun by hordes of grumpy old AI geezers!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:36 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm
Advances in robotics should eventually create a niche market for people who would commission a robotic duplicate of their loved one.
I try to have sympathy for parents since it is not their job to know better. Yes, yes, as parents you should try to know, but this is an emotional situation. In this particular case, she suffered from a cardiac tumor, so already the family was geared to "fight against SOMETHING." This ending is never "fair." However, it is responsibility of professionals which, yes, includes lawyers to be honest with clients.

Over time, however, it is also the responsibility of parents to learn the truth.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 am

This
due to being without oxygen for over an hour
My father had a heart attack and was without oxygen for some protracted time, far more than the magic 10 minutes. My mom called 911, something she regrets to this day. Anyhoo, they pumped him and brought him back to "life".

No eeg (well, noise). Norwegian Blue time.

Sad thing is he never did a living will so we forged one. Fuck anybody that has a problem with that. I talked to the Dr. and he asked "what would he want?". I said "Not this, pull the plug". And they did.

The doctors were on the same page as us, me at least, by bro was a mess. The Living Will was a useful fig leaf.

I can understand a family having a hard time letting go but dead is dead. Look for more of this crap as the snowflakes age. There will be some, doubtless, that will call brain death a personal choice.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:11 am

As I indicated, there is "worse than dead."

The brain stem is sort of "hardier" with respect to lack of perfusion. So in the case of cardiac arrest/ventricular fibrillation where you have no blood flow for for more than four minutes you cerebral tissue--what makes you "you"--starts to die. If one is resuscitated afterwards, you deal with varying levels of brain damage. Unfortunately, you can become a permanent vegetable which is what happened to Terry Schiavo: not technically "brain dead" since brain stem reflexes remain.

"Brain Dead" = irreversible cessation of brain and brain stem function.

The whole term "persistent vegetative state" arose after the development of critical care in the 40s-50s where people started to become just that. That is not life.

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Instinct runs very deep.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:11 am
As I indicated, there is "worse than dead."

The brain stem is sort of "hardier" with respect to lack of perfusion. So in the case of cardiac arrest/ventricular fibrillation where you have no blood flow for for more than four minutes you cerebral tissue--what makes you "you"--starts to die. If one is resuscitated afterwards, you deal with varying levels of brain damage. Unfortunately, you can become a permanent vegetable which is what happened to Terry Schiavo: not technically "brain dead" since brain stem reflexes remain.

"Brain Dead" = irreversible cessation of brain and brain stem function.

The whole term "persistent vegetative state" arose after the development of critical care in the 40s-50s where people started to become just that. That is not life.

--J.D.

there is "worse than dead

yup. and not for the dead guy, they are far beyond caring. The impact is on everyone around them.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!