Dems take House, GOP takes senate, Illinois Nazi loses.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

Re: Dems take House, GOP takes senate, Illinois Nazi loses.

Post by Skeeve » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Giz wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm
The Don survives the election (holding senate) and now scores are settled. Sessions is out. And I just read that Ginsburg "fell" and broke some ribs. Basically, its Godfather part 2.
So, who plays...

and who plays...

Any bets?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 pm

What I notice about this election is that everyone seems to be claiming victory.

Dems: "We took the house and flipped a few governor's seats. Yay, we won!"

Republicans: "The number of house seats taken by Dems was low for a mid term. And we gained in the Senate. Yay, we won!"

I even saw a Reason article (that I can't find now) that spun this as a victory for Libertarians.

I find it kind of weird.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Having been a member of the Libertarian Party at one time, I can tell you that a "victory" means significantly more people voted big-L than the card carrying membership.

Just that and no more than that.

And some Dems are also claiming a moral victory in the senate for some reason involving the population differences between states.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Yeah, the "Senate Popular Vote" seems to be a meme now. More people voted blue than red nationwide but that this isn't reflected in the make up of the Senate. The thing that they can't (or won't) grasp is that it isn't as if excess votes spill over into other races. If a Dem in New York wins by a bajillion votes, this does not translate to a bajillion votes for some Dem losing in Montana.

Frankly, I think the current make up of the House and Senate shows the system working as designed. The small low population states have an edge in the Senate, the higher population ones in the House. That is exactly the point of having a bicameral legislature.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm
Yeah, the "Senate Popular Vote" seems to be a meme now. More people voted blue than red nationwide but that this isn't reflected in the make up of the Senate. The thing that they can't (or won't) grasp is that it isn't as if excess votes spill over into other races. If a Dem in New York wins by a bajillion votes, this does not translate to a bajillion votes for some Dem losing in Montana.

Frankly, I think the current make up of the House and Senate shows the system working as designed. The small low population states have an edge in the Senate, the higher population ones in the House. That is exactly the point of having a bicameral legislature.
I'm also fine if people want to change this system into something else, nothing we have is written in stone. I just wish that people who lose elections would reflect on why their ideas did not resonate and not propagate conspiracy theories about rigged systems.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm also fine if people want to change this system into something else, nothing we have is written in stone. I just wish that people who lose elections would reflect on why their ideas did not resonate and not propagate conspiracy theories about rigged systems.
I'm sure that the larger number of Dem Senate votes has nothing to do with the most populous state in the country having 2 Dems running and no Republicans. Nope, couldn't be that at all! And also nothing to do with the Senate not being based on population.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Yeah that was Nyar's point.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm

At this point the main problem with the Democrats is that they cannot conceive of losing because their party fucked up even a little.

They learn nothing and forget nothing, just like the French royals.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:47 pm

L'etat, c'est Hillary.
- attributed to Louis XIV

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:08 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:05 pm
At this point the main problem with the Democrats is that they cannot conceive of losing because their party fucked up even a little.

They learn nothing and forget nothing, just like the French royals.

Worse, when there is a flip, they assume repudiation of the other party’s bullshit is endorsement of their own. This is true of both sides

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:50 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 pm
I even saw a Reason article (that I can't find now) that spun this as a victory for Libertarians.

I find it kind of weird.
RETRACT THAT YOU BIGOTED LIAR!!!1!!!

--j.dk.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:11 am

I can’t retract. Appearances aside I am not a Sumo

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:32 am

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ssion=true

They found more ballots that lean democrat. I'm so shocked...

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:41 am

I'm SHOCKED that extended counting often occurs in the more populous areas! I had no idea city folk tended to vote blue! FRAUD!!!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 am

Broward County elections supervisor mixed invalid provisional ballots into valid batch

Broward County’s elections supervisor mixed 20 invalid ballots with a pile of 205 valid ballots, giving more fuel to Republicans who have alleged Democrats are trying to steal the U.S. Senate election from Gov. Rick Scott, R-Fla., who faces incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson.

The mistake was discovered after Broward County Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes agreed to turn over 205 provisional ballots to the county’s canvassing board for inspection, according to the Miami Herald.

County officials collected more than 600 provisional ballots on Election Day, a majority of which were deemed invalid for reasons such as registering to vote too late or voting at the wrong precinct.

However, a couple hundred provisional ballots were set aside because of a connectivity issue with the system used to look up voter registrations. Precinct workers had 205 voters fill out provisional ballots when the system at the precincts showed they weren’t registered voters, which differed from information at Broward election headquarters.

Upon reviewing those provisional ballots, the canvassing board found 20 of those 205 votes had mismatched signatures and said they were illegal. Those votes have already been counted in a voting machine, but have not been added to the final vote count.

“The ballots cannot be identified,” Snipes confirmed when a lawyer for the Republican Party asked, according to the Miami Herald.

It’s unclear what happens next, but both parties cried foul upon hearing the news.

“This process doesn’t exist. The process is that the ballots aren’t opened. I would suggest to the board that this process would stop,” said Leonard Collins, a lawyer for the Florida Republican Party.

Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio called the matter “lawlessness.”

Want more lawlessness?#BrowardCounty elections opened 208 provisional ballots without canvassing boards approval as required by law.

Washington Fox News . . . Probably
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Well THAT's pretty fucked up, right there I agree.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:36 pm

The question is will Snipes shred the ballots before they can be inspected, again?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I suppose it is to be hoped that the final counted margin is not large enough to be affected by a few hundred.

Seems like this could be prevented--like printing something on a machine-counted ballot that wouldn't appear on an unverified provisional ballot.
--Soldier, TF2