California burning

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

California burning

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:28 am

Seems like the fires are getting worse each year, judging from the headlines.
The fires occurred after years of drought and increasingly deadly and destructive fire seasons. Fire officials and climate scientists have, in part, attributed those fires to climate change, saying the state’s fire season may now be year-round.

California Gov. Jerry Brown stressed this during a news conference on Sunday night, calling this extended period of fire danger a "new abnormal."

"This new abnormal will continue certainly into the next, 10 to 15 to 20 years," he said. "And unfortunately, the best science is telling us that dryness, warmth, drought — all those things are going to intensify."
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/weste ... rn-n934996
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Re: California burning

Post by WildCat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 am

I don't know if it's abnormal or just more people living in fire-prone areas. And when the rain comes again it's mudslide time. Perhaps a random earthquake to keep things even more interesting.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:04 am

Every time I drive through the mountains into California I see more and more dead or dying trees. Not sure what the reason is, but I suspect that is the cause of how bad the fires are getting
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 am

Probably drought.
William Shakespeare

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 am

California has drought cycles? Film at 11

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:37 am

"Cycle" implies that it will eventually return to what it used to be. Whereas it seems to be getting worser with each passing year.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:43 am

And it now seems every year the entire summer is some nt with the skies a muddy brown all the way over here because California is basically on fire. That used to be a rarity, a few days every few years. Now it’s all summer every year

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 am
Probably drought.

Probably, or more accurately drought making them more susceptible to disease.

But we have had a couple of decent winters (and one incredible one) and it doesn’t seem to be getting better

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:46 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:37 am
"Cycle" implies that it will eventually return to what it used to be. Whereas it seems to be getting worser with each passing year.
This

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am

It's a combination of poor forest land management, climate change, and population explosion in high-risk areas.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 am

Grammatron wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am
It's a combination of poor forest land management, climate change, and population explosion in high-risk areas.
This

I have read that the Cali Snowflakes think fire=bad so there are few if any controlled burns so that the underbrush mounts up so that when there is a natural fire all hell breaks loose. I recall reading (at a loss for the reference though) that the lack of fires contributes to the presence of various tree diseases. The deaths might be partly do to that too.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:37 am
Tree ring analysis shows the southwest has a long history of severe droughts, some lasting 10 years or more. This is normal, not abnormal. Entire pre-Columbian civilizations were forced to migrate and abandon their towns.

Normal for the southwest is cycles of drought and wet periods.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Behind Most Wildfires, a Person and a Spark: ‘We Bring Fire With Us’

. . . destructive wildfires nearly always begin with a human being, either intentionally or by mistake. There are endless ways people start fires — a discarded cigarette, a child playing with matches, a campfire, fireworks, a car accident.

Power Lines Are Burning the West

In 2015, fires started by electrical lines and equipment burned more acres in California than any other cause.

PG&E shares sink 4 percent after Cal Fire faults utility for a dozen wildfires

Cal Fire announced late Friday at least a dozen wildfires in six counties were caused by the utility's "electric power and distribution lines, conductors and the failure of power poles."

California's Devastating Fires Are Man-Caused -- But Not In The Way They Tell Us

California is once again on fire. Northern California’s Carr Fire has killed six people, two of them firefighters, and continues to burn out of control, claiming more than 700 homes and about 100,000 acres.

. . . But, what was once an expected part of living in the Golden State is now blamed on larger forces. A crisis, we are told, should never go to waste.

In that vein, the Sacramento Bee editorial board blamed the Carr Fire foursquare on a man-caused buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. In an editorial headlined, “The Carr Fire is a terrifying glimpse into California’s future,” they write, “This is climate change, for real and in real time. We were warned that the atmospheric buildup of man-made greenhouse gas would eventually be an existential threat.”

. . . The problem with the Bee’s editorial is that making a passionate argument is no substitute for the truth.

A flat tire started the deadly Carr Fire and days of devastation in California

. . . on one road near Redding, California, when a tire failed last month on a trailer and its rim scraped the asphalt, the result was catastrophic for an entire region.

The sparks that shot out July 23 from that minor incident, California fire officials said, ignited what is now the sixth-most destructive wildfire in state history.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:18 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 am
Grammatron wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am
This

I have read that the Cali Snowflakes think fire=bad so there are few if any controlled burns so that the underbrush mounts up so that when there is a natural fire all hell breaks loose. I recall reading (at a loss for the reference though) that the lack of fires contributes to the presence of various tree diseases. The deaths might be partly do to that too.
Yes. Back in the 1990's I had a professor who said always putting out small fires before they spread was unnatural, and that, in combination with the lack of controlled burns, guaranteed when a fire did get out of control it would be a disaster.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Smoldering cigarette = fire

I call bullshit. I have tried mightily to start a fire with a cig and failed.

I simply do not believe that it is possible. It is like the idea of dropping a cig in gasoline and getting an explosion. I've tried that too. Know what happens? The butt goes out.

Dammit, you cannot trust californians. Scraping metal caused a fire? Really? Reproduce it. I dare you.

I'll tell you what causes fires: faults in transformers on poles. They explode dammit. They explose and shower molten globules (raising the tenor) of copper. Hot as hell.

I've just had it.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:56 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Smoldering cigarette = fire

I call bullshit. I have tried mightily to start a fire with a cig and failed.

I simply do not believe that it is possible. . . .

Can cigarette butts start bushfires?

The study

As part of the study, called Can cigarettes butts start (Bush)fires, Ms Dainer conducted outdoor trials, supervised by Station Officer Scott and three firefighters with a fire engine from Parramatta Fire Station. She lit cigarettes and threw them into grass on the side of a road in the Sydney suburb of Prospect where there was no danger to surrounding property. At the time the prevailing conditions were recorded as wind speed of 40km/h, fuel (grass) moisture content approximately 12% of oven dry weight and humidity 14%.

“On the day it was around 27°C with a north westerly wind, and it was pretty dry,” Station Officer Scott said. In three out of the 75 trials, or 4%, the grass caught alight and started to burn, requiring the firefighters to extinguish the flames.

“The fires would have progressed quite quickly if we hadn’t been there,” says Station Officer Scott. “It’s no wonder we’re called to so many fires on busy roads and freeways and by railway lines when they can start so easily.”

ed

Post by ed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pm

27 C. Fags. "C" indeed. That could be anything. 27"C" could be the ignition point of grass for all you know. And who uses "C"?

4% is not significantly different from ZERO

A video from Cali which houses Hollywood which is known for what? Special effects my friend.

Jesus you are a dupe.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:12 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Scraping metal caused a fire? Really? Reproduce it. I dare you.
Fires in household fireplaces are started quite routinely using spark igniters. This experiment you are asking for has been done successfully literally millions of times.

See also this eyewitness testimony that a sparking rim from a flat tire caused a bush fire:
'Oblivious' California woman driving on car rim sparks 450-acre wildfire, police say

. . . The right rear tire of her 2002 Kia Rio became flat — leaving the rim rubbing against the road and causing a "shower of sparks that was igniting the grass shoulder of the roadway," California Highway Patrol wrote in an arrest report.

A fellow driver tried to gain Hogan's attention, to no avail, and eventually drove around Hogan to block her path, police said.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:14 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:06 pm
27 C. Fags. "C" indeed. That could be anything. 27"C" could be the ignition point of grass for all you know. And who uses "C"?

4% is not significantly different from ZERO

A video from Cali which houses Hollywood which is known for what? Special effects my friend.

Jesus you are a dupe.
Ah, I see what's going on now.

Please pardon my failure to notice you were being facetious, yanking my leg. :wink:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm