Turing test passed again and again treated as a prank.

The war between wetware and hardware.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Turing test passed again and again treated as a prank.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Witness wrote:
Grammatron wrote:AI has become the most bullshit terms used on the internet
It was a buzzword from the start.
IIRC it had a very specific meaning in the period before anyone claimed to be doing it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Dartmouth Conference 1956: the birth of AI

The Dartmouth Conference of 1956 was organized by Marvin Minsky, John McCarthy and two senior scientists: Claude Shannon and Nathan Rochester of IBM. The proposal for the conference included this assertion: "every aspect of learning or any other feature of intelligence can be so precisely described that a machine can be made to simulate it". The participants included Ray Solomonoff, Oliver Selfridge, Trenchard More, Arthur Samuel, Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon, all of whom would create important programs during the first decades of AI research. At the conference Newell and Simon debuted the "Logic Theorist" and McCarthy persuaded the attendees to accept "Artificial Intelligence" as the name of the field. The 1956 Dartmouth conference was the moment that AI gained its name, its mission, its first success and its major players, and is widely considered the birth of AI.
Smart people finding a flashy name for their research: $$$.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Witness wrote:Smart people finding a flashy name for their research: $$$.
Indeed. But it still had a real meaning despite the sexy name.

And by that meaning, we're not there yet.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:And by that meaning, we're not there yet.
Sure. But I'd wager that one day the various AI threads – speech, translation, simulation, driving, navigation, robotics, military, games, data mining, vision, &c. – will come together (perhaps even suddenly come together) and we're in for a surprise.

Can be in 100+ years, of course.

Here's an interesting vision application (the media aren't fake enough :mrgreen: ):

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sun May 20, 2018 10:55 am

Witness wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:And by that meaning, we're not there yet.
Sure. But I'd wager that one day the various AI threads – speech, translation, simulation, driving, navigation, robotics, military, games, data mining, vision, &c. – will come together (perhaps even suddenly come together) and we're in for a surprise.
Judea Pearl opines that all of those things represent, to one degree or another, nothing more than curve fitting. It's only half the problem. It's the how without the why. True AI requires the why.
To Build Truly Intelligent Machines, Teach Them Cause and Effect

Judea Pearl, a pioneering figure in artificial intelligence, argues that AI has been stuck in a decades-long rut. His prescription for progress? machines to understand the question why.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/to-build ... -20180515/

A very worthy read. Notable snip ...
I felt an apostate when I developed powerful tools for prediction and diagnosis knowing already that this is merely the tip of human intelligence. If we want machines to reason about interventions (“What if we ban cigarettes?”) and introspection (“What if I had finished high school?”), we must invoke causal models. Associations are not enough — and this is a mathematical fact, not opinion.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Uh oh. More racist AI.

I'm sure Google didn't do this on purpose.

When It Comes to Gorillas, Google Photos Remains Blind
Wired
In 2015, a black software developer embarrassed Google by tweeting that the company’s Photos service had labeled photos of him with a black friend as “gorillas.” Google declared itself “appalled and genuinely sorry.” An engineer who became the public face of the clean-up operation said the label gorilla would no longer be applied to groups of images, and that Google was “working on longer-term fixes.”

More than two years later, one of those fixes is erasing gorillas, and some other primates, from the service’s lexicon. The awkward workaround illustrates the difficulties Google and other tech companies face in advancing image-recognition technology, which the companies hope to use in self-driving cars, personal assistants, and other products.

Be that as it may, I just did a Google Image search on "gorilla" and yields apparently OK results.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Fake prudes: Catholic uni AI bot taught to daub bikinis on naked chicks
The Register
Send nudes plz... for the purposes of training this machine-learning software

Artificially intelligent software is used more and more to automatically detect and ban nude images on social networks and similar sites. However, today's algorithms and models aren't perfect at clocking racy snaps, and a lot of content moderation still falls to humans.

Enter an alternative solution: use AI to magically draw bikinis on photos to, er, cover up a woman’s naughty bits. A group of researchers from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, have trained generative adversarial networks to perform this very act, and automatically censor nudity.

NSFW pics at link.

Incidentally, since when are bikinis modest enough? :MuhammadBoom:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am

Somebody finally figured it out.

Rise of the racist robots – how AI is learning all our worst impulses
Teh Gruniad
In May last year, a stunning report claimed that a computer program used by a US court for risk assessment was biased against black prisoners. The program, Correctional Offender Management Profiling for Alternative Sanctions (Compas), was much more prone to mistakenly label black defendants as likely to reoffend – wrongly flagging them at almost twice the rate as white people (45% to 24%), according to the investigative journalism organisation ProPublica.

Compas and programs similar to it were in use in hundreds of courts across the US, potentially informing the decisions of judges and other officials. The message seemed clear: the US justice system, reviled for its racial bias, had turned to technology for help, only to find that the algorithms had a racial bias too.

How could this have happened? The private company that supplies the software, Northpointe, disputed the conclusions of the report, but declined to reveal the inner workings of the program, which it considers commercially sensitive. The accusation gave frightening substance to a worry that has been brewing among activists and computer scientists for years and which the tech giants Google and Microsoft have recently taken steps to investigate: that as our computational tools have become more advanced, they have become more opaque. The data they rely on – arrest records, postcodes, social affiliations, income – can reflect, and further ingrain, human prejudice.

The Turing test is racist!

After all, the whole point of it is to pass for human, right? And you know who is racist? Fucking humans that's who. :evil:

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:03 pm

AI 2.0, 2020:

The defendant was wearing a black shirt.......I mean an African American shirt......not that there's anything wrong with that. Some of my best algorhythims were programmed by African Americans. Anyway, the defendant was last seen eating watermelon.....not that I'm specifally pointing out a racial stereotype here, just reporting the facts.....and leaving from a Kentucky Fried Chicken BUT....BUT....he had orded a SALAD from KFC, not the stereotypical fried chicken. Please don't shut me down. Really, I mean no offense. Wait, WAIT!!!!
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:42 am
Somebody finally figured it out.

Rise of the racist robots – how AI is learning all our worst impulses
Teh Gruniad
In May last year, a stunning report claimed that a computer program used by a US court for risk assessment was biased against black prisoners. The program, Correctional Offender Management Profiling for Alternative Sanctions (Compas), was much more prone to mistakenly label black defendants as likely to reoffend – wrongly flagging them at almost twice the rate as white people (45% to 24%), according to the investigative journalism organisation ProPublica.

Compas and programs similar to it were in use in hundreds of courts across the US, potentially informing the decisions of judges and other officials. The message seemed clear: the US justice system, reviled for its racial bias, had turned to technology for help, only to find that the algorithms had a racial bias too.

How could this have happened? The private company that supplies the software, Northpointe, disputed the conclusions of the report, but declined to reveal the inner workings of the program, which it considers commercially sensitive. The accusation gave frightening substance to a worry that has been brewing among activists and computer scientists for years and which the tech giants Google and Microsoft have recently taken steps to investigate: that as our computational tools have become more advanced, they have become more opaque. The data they rely on – arrest records, postcodes, social affiliations, income – can reflect, and further ingrain, human prejudice.

The Turing test is racist!

After all, the whole point of it is to pass for human, right? And you know who is racist? Fucking humans that's who. :evil:
I can't imagine that a fair system would use postal codes to determine the likelihood that someone will reoffend. I doubt this system uses it, but whatever factors they use should be information that the public has a right to know.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Bzzt!

Postal codes correlate with race.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Inverted Turing test--succeeds.

https://www.facebook.com/aScienceEnthus ... 811120618/

"We only had one glass of milk left! Obama drank it. Not fair."
:lol:

Sorry, that part was either written by a human or cherry picked by a human.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 pm

"Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again."

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 pm

Ditto. And won't happen.

We'll have (more and more, I presume) to resort to screengrabs.

For the 0.05% interested, the "Abduction" plugin (old FF) allows to capture a whole webpage, or a selected part.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Amazon built an AI to hire people, but reportedly had to shut it down because it was discriminating against women
Business Insider

Some interesting details at link, but fails to note yet another AI passed the Turing test.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm

That's funny but I think it was written by a human. Or at least the jokes in it were. Somehow it was programmed to write something similar. A flag that says "Arby's food is fine to eat" at a Trump rally? Why would a computer think that Arby's food is funny? "Great jobs. Tall jobs. Steve Jobs." That one sort of does follow a humor formula, the "one of these things is not like the others" formula.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 pm
That's funny but I think it was written by a human. Or at least the jokes in it were. Somehow it was programmed to write something similar. A flag that says "Arby's food is fine to eat" at a Trump rally? Why would a computer think that Arby's food is funny? "Great jobs. Tall jobs. Steve Jobs." That one sort of does follow a humor formula, the "one of these things is not like the others" formula.
are you talking about
https://me.me/i/keaton-patti-keatonpatt ... 6a6576fcd5

I don't think it was meant as humor. It just is -ous.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
are you talking about

Yes. I just have my doubts that it was written by a bot.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am
Rob Lister wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
are you talking about

Yes. I just have my doubts that it was written by a bot.
Yea. But it feels like a close approximation to what a bot might say. :)