Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Re: Windows 10

Postby Bruce » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:52 pm

It's been more than a month since my last Window 10 Install invasion. Maybe the crisis is over. Maybe I can live out the rest of my life in peace with Windows 7. Maybe after a few years, the Windows 10 Nazis won't recognize my precious Windows 7 and take it away.....

I am confused, Mr. Bruce. Zees papers say you have not downloaded a single Windows 10 upgrade since zee mandated auto-installation of Windows 10 in 2016. And your applications have been working so perfectly that you have not made a single tech support call in all ziss time. How is this possible, Mr. Bruce?
Such potential!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Tried the upgrade twice, then I downloaded the ISO for the next try sometime this weekend, because I don't feel like downloaded 3.8 gigs every time the damn thing fails.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:10 am

Maybe you need to turn off your anti-virus/malware protection?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:27 am

Doctor X wrote:Maybe you need to turn off your anti-virus/malware protection?

--J.D.

Yeah, tried that insanity. Rather hilariously ironic that it is recommended to uninstall your antivirus and disable your firewall to allow Windows 10 to install.

I probably also have to clear out old drivers and I should probably pull the old Adaptec SCSI card and remove that driver as well. Not sure anything supports that card anymore and I plan to buy a USB scanner anyway.

At this rate I should just save my quatloos for a Mac.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 am

Before I begin my I Told You So Dance, most [Straw--Ed.] IT types recommend you download an update if you can. Reason is "glitches" during the download/update. Some made up number of times it works but if you get a partially updated system, whatever it is, you have a mess.

Make sure you back up to your Zip drives as well. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:06 am

Pyrrho wrote:Tried the upgrade twice, then I downloaded the ISO for the next try sometime this weekend, because I don't feel like downloaded 3.8 gigs every time the damn thing fails.

Perhaps you'll find something useful here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/15928-help-windows-10-installation-windows-update-validation-problems.html?
The guys on that site are very helpful.

I'll go through the update myself one of these days… :?

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:46 am

Uninstalled from my netbook and went back to 7. Damn thing's virtually unusable on a low spec machine.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:31 am

Witness wrote:I'll go through the update myself one of these days… :?

Downloading to a USB key right now… :P

Witness

Postby Witness » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:02 am

Upgrade done (~ 20 mn) without a hiccup – just remember to pull the key before the first restart. AVG antivirus wanted to be reinstalled afterwards, that was the most annoying part.

Pyrrho's machine must be jinxed, may I suggest hanging some garlic around the screen? 8)

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Going to try it again tonight. Pulled the ancient SCSI card, ran CCleaner to clear up old crap, will uninstall Avast and MSE, then will run the update from the ISO or from the DVD I burned.

Did you boot from the USB or did you run setup from the USB after starting your original Windows?

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Doctor X wrote:Before I begin my I Told You So Dance, most [Straw--Ed.] IT types recommend you download an update if you can. Reason is "glitches" during the download/update. Some made up number of times it works but if you get a partially updated system, whatever it is, you have a mess.

Make sure you back up to your Zip drives as well. . . .

--J.D.

I have a full box of Sony 1.44 megabyte diskettes, that should be enough for anybody. If not, I have a tape drive that runs off a COM port.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Did you boot from the USB or did you run setup from the USB after starting your original Windows?

Just ran setup (I'm the lazy type…).

After upgrade you'll presumably want to debloat W10 and make W10 shutup. (Seems some W7 & W8.1 upgrades also make our machines talk back to Redmond.)

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:05 am

86% complete. If it fails this time, to hell with it.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:09 am

Oh, that was the setup phase. Now it's in the copy files phase. Going to sleep, will see if there is fubar in the morning.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:12 am

Pyrrho wrote:86% complete. If it fails this time, to hell with it.

Just forget it.

You need some sleep. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:16 am

Did they have to make the setup screens so blank amd uninformative?

Yeah off to sleep, might as well.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 am

Pyrrho wrote:86% complete. If it fails this time, to hell with it.

The Froggies say "tenir les pouces" ~ hold one's thumbs, and hide the thumb under the other fingers.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 am

Well that worked. Meh. We'll see if I roll back to 7 in a few weeks. I see they removed all the themes except for the high contrast ones and their Windows 10 default and my custom themes. Oh well, maybe I can restore them from backup or something. Not that I care much.

Had to remove and reinstall the display driver but otherwise Windows 10 really mostly looks like a new skin on an old horse.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:06 pm

Edge...might as well just call it "ADSge." Yikes. I'll stick with Chrome and FireFox.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:21 pm

--J.D.

Return to “Computers”