Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Windows 10

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:27 am

Nyaah, we are happy with a NEW FREE OS that grinds to a halt because Siri.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:36 pm

Macs just work.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:05 pm

Are you feeling well, Gram?

Though I have a hybrid SD drive--was FAR cheaper and bigger than the SD drives available nearly four years ago. The thing is, it will store the "important stuff" on the SD section--like the System that actually boots the computer. So I forgot that you have to use, reboot, use a few times.

The newer OS--Sierra--is actually slightly faster. It was just that the first time it took forever to boot and some programs took forever to load. After about two days and maybe three restarts, back to normal if not a wee bit faster.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:21 pm

The joke here is that you can't connect your a brand new iPhone 7 to the brain new MacBook Pro without an adapter. Furthermore, you then can't connect your wired headphones to the iPhone 7 because you're out of ports.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Yeah, but the problem is they have, apparently, massively upgraded to four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports which allows you to run two external displays and, if you believe their claims, runs like 4 times faster than USB 3.1 and 10 times USB 3.

They also have a direct USB-C to iPod cables as well as cables that connect USB directly to the USB-C. Having a connection to something that connects to multiple USB is sort of standard the last few years since most products jumped on USB for data transfer and power. So you would probably want that even if the MacBook Pro came with the standard two USB ports.

Apple is just, again, ahead of the curve.

So, yeah, that picture is about as reliable as a Clinton campaign promise.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Which would have made sense if they put a USB-C port into the iPhone 7. But then Apple wouldn't be able to offer the convenience of charging you for an adapter peripheral.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Doctor X wrote:Yeah, but the problem is they have, apparently, massively upgraded to four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports which allows you to run two external displays and, if you believe their claims, runs like 4 times faster than USB 3.1 and 10 times USB 3.

They also have a direct USB-C to iPod cables as well as cables that connect USB directly to the USB-C. Having a connection to something that connects to multiple USB is sort of standard the last few years since most products jumped on USB for data transfer and power. So you would probably want that even if the MacBook Pro came with the standard two USB ports.

Apple is just, again, ahead of the curve.

So, yeah, that picture is about as reliable as a Clinton campaign promise.

--J.D.
To be fair to Gram, that pic is accurate up to about 5 days ago. While the newest Macbook Pro does sport 4 USB-C ports, last years model sported only one, and it did not include the Thunderbolt 3 spec, afaik. Which is weird, because thunderbolt is an apple spec.
And thankfully they included an audio port as well. How nice of them. It is likely a fine machine. I'm not too sure about the battery life vs memory issue. I will be interersted to see how the new touchbar fares. I'm not a big fan of ever having to remove my finger from the touchpad or mouse.

But to say they are ahead of the curve is just ... wrong.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:48 pm

I'll drink to that.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:08 am

Grammatron wrote:Which would have made sense if they put a USB-C port into the iPhone 7. But then Apple wouldn't be able to offer the convenience of charging you for an adapter peripheral.
Actually, to take some criticism with that, one of the huge problems with PCs and iPods/iPhones/Androids/Et cetera was the different chargers. PCs especially. Hell, a cord that "fit" an HP would not power that HP--but would power a different HP. So as iPods/iPhones developed you got a new power cord that meant your older--and readily available cords--obsolete. So, finally, most have settled on as USB compatible small cord.

IF Apple went USB-C port in the iPhone you would have to buy tons of adapters as all of the wonderful ones we use become obsolete.

Mac did that with computers until a few Macbooks ago--every adapter different and stupid. Now the same cord for about 10 years--magnetic--powers all of them.

But it will not power a Tunderbolt which is "better" so you need an adapter. In other words, to make progress we get screwed. I think wireless is much more convenient than "wired" headphone jacks . . . but that mean I have to buy a wireless!

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:50 am

Reminds me, I changed my password on the Windows laptop but didn't change it on the MacBook and I can't remember the old one and I have to figure it out somehow because I need to update the Keychain so I can sudo into the web server which I can't do on Windows.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:16 pm

"Fuck you, pay me."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 8bce70dfab
For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 “as a service” and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly subscription fee for Windows 10 usage…

That cost will be $7 per user per month but the good news is it only applies to enterprises, for now. The new pricing tier will be called “Windows 10 Enterprise E3” and it means Windows has finally joined Office 365 and Azure as a subscription service.

Of course the big question is now: How does this new subscription pricing affect the millions of consumers who upgraded to Windows 10 on the promise of it being free?

The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage: “This new subscription model is not associated with our current upgrade offering or applicable to the Windows 10 consumer edition,” a Microsoft spokesperson told PC World.

Could Microsoft eventually introduce Windows 10 monthly subscriptions for consumers? Without doubt, but I would be highly sceptical they would apply to anyone who has already upgraded. That said there is likely to be a threshold in future where Microsoft will draw a line in the sand for the ongoing addition of new features without a fee.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:25 pm

It will be free.

The mandatory upgrade Windows 10.001 will not.

MacOS still free!

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:24 am

Pyrrho wrote:"Fuck you, pay me."
Interesting, but that article is from mid-July. I found no new development, save that new W10 installs have plummeted since it isn't "free" anymore.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 am

Got to update the Win XP box...programs just aren't supported anymore.

Thinking about a dual boot scenario though...to keep the old programs available.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu May 25, 2017 1:51 am

Can test some of them in various compatibility modes and other tricks... also is it still possible to run a virtual XP desktop?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Backed up the WinXP hard drive.

Installed new hard drive. Left the XP drive in place and connected.

Installed Win 10 on the new hard drive, using Custom settings and made sure to install on the new drive.

All went well. On reboot, there is now a Boot menu giving a choice between Win 10 and "Previous version of Windows," although the text might be different from that. Can't remember. I set it to use XP as the default for now until the user is ready to switch over. Works very nicely.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 pm

My father (84) went to Best Buy to get a new computator. They told him that Windows came with the machine but was only good for one year.

?

Now I have to drive down to go with him to get a new machine.

Edit: that sounded rough. i.e. "I have to".

I'm always glad to see dad. My inheritance will be at least a high 6 figures.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri May 26, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Rob Lister wrote:My father (84) went to Best Buy to get a new computator. They told him that Windows came with the machine but was only good for one year.

?

Seems like some sort of scam. Office 365 maybe a 1-year subscription but Windows itself hasn't moved to a subscription model...yet.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:My father (84) went to Best Buy to get a new computator. They told him that Windows came with the machine but was only good for one year.

?

Seems like some sort of scam. Office 365 maybe a 1-year subscription but Windows itself hasn't moved to a subscription model...yet.
It's a combination of dumbass sales folks and a man that didn't grow up with this stuff. It is all very esoteric even to me.

Me and the little lady will drive down sunday and get him set up.