Cord Cutting, Cord Running

The war between wetware and hardware.
DrMatt
BANNED

Re: Cord Cutting, Cord Running

Postby DrMatt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Boo hoo.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:14 pm

DrMatt wrote:Boo hoo.

I'll let her know you said that.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 pm

$82.50 and two hours work to replace all the plugs, switches and wallplates

[slaps palms] all done.

An unexpected expense.

I can live with it.

That's less than one month's bill for cable tv.

I took the liberty to add an amazon purchace for an RCA preamp. I don't need it as I get all the majors but I just wanna be as good as I can be. It is a very clever device. Has two parts to this solution. The preamp you attach directly to the antenna. No power necessary. At the tv end you attach another device that puts power on the coax up to the preamp to drive it, and then subtracts the power at the tv end. Very smart. I approve. I'll know next week if I can pick up China.

I took the liberty of buying a replacement for my cordless drill's battery pack. Just to get free shipping. Damn you Amazon.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:36 pm

I bet you all thought I was done with this thread. I bet you all thought you could ignore my further advances. Yes, you can, but at your own peril. You will follow in my footsteps someday soon. Best to learn the pitfalls.

The wife (whom I love so very so so) has reneged on our contract. She says it is not what she wanted, not what she demanded, not what she was promised, not, not, not, not, not. Something about pushing more buttons than promised. Something about having to decide when it should just 'be'. Something about my utter recent failure to please utterly. Something....

She want's Food TV when she turns on the TV. It was not there when she turned on the TV. Therefore, ergo, and so, yada, I will get the set-top box back (it never really left). I will tune it to Food TV or HGTV. It will be there when she turns on the telly.<--period <--period on the period Or she will find a husband that can, at the very least, provide that little scrap of sustenance....

1: "And by the way I make more money that you."
2: "Did you really need to bring that up?
1: "I will again, every day, until you give me what I want."

Can you guess the voice behind 1 and 2?

And so I hooked it all back up. Programmed the TV to default back to the set-top. And I ponder.

Next on the list is MythTV. Server/client setup. Once completed it will also host Plex. Raid 1 architecture. Linux (which kind of scares me). Project. Budget $600. I will find a way to use her money (since she makes so fucking much).

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:18 pm

I predict this will not end well.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:34 pm

Tiosylanyl wrote:I predict this will not end well.

We both said that, to each other, on our wedding day, more than 25 years ago. We were surprisingly mostly wrong.

1: You'll come around.
2: I've yet to come once.

Anyway, the whole MythTV thing is an Open Source project that can be done on a PC but all the girls in the know tell me don't bother: Linux is the way to go if you want it to work well.

Okay, fine. I can do that. But I gotta build a box. STrike that, two boxes. ONe to act as a server and another, near the tv, to act as a client. I can do it all on one box but the box would need to be powerful and big and connect to the TV through hdmi. Big and powerful means intermittantly noisy. So best to separate client and server. I donno. I'm climbing a steep curve here.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:52 pm

My question is what happens when you spend all this money working on money saving alternatives, before she gives you the exact same response and you find yourself hooking up the set-top box again?

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes before we see reports of a domestic dispute over Food TV resulting in strangling in Virginia on our set-top boxes?

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:03 pm

I will use marital judo.

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:52 am

Hmmm… I see something like a marketable scenario for a television series: elderly geek with Rube Goldberg contraptions vs. food-channel addicted wife. :twisted:

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Witness wrote:Hmmm… I see something like a marketable scenario for a television series: elderly geek with Rube Goldberg contraptions vs. food-channel addicted wife. :twisted:

It's going to be a while before that goes into production.

After looking at the hardware requirements for MythTV it appears I need at least three Masters degrees just to understand the lingo. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWT ... _and_Speed

For a worthy system, $600 is probably not enough unless I can find a way to make it work on my current server, which is windows, which the MythTV developers don't much regard, don't write for, and pretty much ignore. A Windows version exists but ...

MythTV runs and is officially supported on Windows but an official exe is not distributed, here is how to build a windows binary for yourself.

Using MinGW as the build platform, and MS Direct3D as the display layer.

And it continues for about a megabyte of detailed instructions, most of which using acronyms I don't know, tools I don't have, and a knowledge base I'm so far removed from it might as well be Linux.

So, add another Masters or two to the mix.

I"m almost at my 'fuck this' threshold.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Sounds like a fuck this. I just used VUZE to see what was what and there were a bunch of hits for Mythtv.

ScreenShot246.jpg

My experience so far with cutting the cable has been good. I moved the powered antenna into a cottage that my kids are living in and they got 36 channels. Some spanish, some on the fringe but lots of stuff and about 1/2 HD. No need for cable there. Their performance was better than mine since I could get the antenna above the block walls in their place.

When I feel energized I'll get something in my attic with a splitter and make good use of the cables thoughtfully laid down by Dish TV <spit>.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:26 pm

<<<exasperation>>>

What a fucking adventure this has been. I still have the @#$% cable because ... well because. I just got the bill. I laid it on the coffee table in the den after first removing all other items from it. Laid bare on the table. Hopefully she'll see it and gasp in horror. Well, she'll see it, not bother looking at because that bill is my responsibility. She won't care a wit.

Linux. Rhymes with Cynics. That's the box I need. At first I figured I could just throw one together and a few tweaks here, half a hack there, I could be up and running with MythTV and Plex on one machine serving all three TV's.

No so much. Turns out Video is a very CPU intensive enterprise.

Bottom line is, I need a fairly powerful server to accommodate the eventual load. I need a CPU with a Passmark of greater than 6000 to accommodate the worst--but not unusual--case requirements. I didn't know what a fucking Passmark was last week.

Each in-progress recording or transcoding puts a heavy, heavy load on the CPU. Three clients works out to a minimum of 6000.

The upside to that is that it doesn't really need much else other than 2-4GB of RAM and a 256KB SSD and maybe an ethernet and usb2 port. Graphics don't much matter since nothing will make use of it. Even so, the minimum machine I can build seems to to be north of $800. And that is using sub-par other parts and it doesn't make sense to put an Intel Core i7 processor into a sub-standard motherboard. And truly, that only accommodates the server side. I'll need some other low-end appliance on each client side; figure $200 each. Also on the upside is that the OS won't cost anything (except the pain of having to learn enough about it to make this happen.

So, I'm going to dig out one of my old beaters and just pretend like it is the back-end server. I need something to practice on anyway.

It is a good project, and I'm learning a lot, but I'll close like I opened.

<<<exasperation>>>

DrMatt
BANNED

Postby DrMatt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:32 pm

DrMatt wrote:Discover local theater.

Yea, well ...

How 'bout a nice tall glass of Fuck That.

P. Fucking. S. The only thing I can find to work with is one old derelict computer I found in an attic closet. It is a Dell Dimension 5100 I garnered from a Brother In Law who was leaving town in a hurry (as they are wont to do). It won't boot. Won't even give me a POST. I suspect it is the power supply but it does turn on. I delved deep inside and disconnected everything except the motherboard and still couldn't even get a POST or any graphics so as to get to the BIOS. There's a green light on the motherboard but I have no fucking idea what that means.

fuck computers all to hell.

I blame Matt.

ed

Postby ed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Found the weak link.

Rain storm.

TV reception ain't worth a seedy coon skin (I am developing a southern patois)
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Two Words
Sling TV

Solves the issues nicely. I've 'applied' for an invite. Don't know if it is going to happen.

There are presumably deals for more on the table. Looks like $20 a month. Combine with Netflix at $8 a month and that is a sweet deal.

Here's the write up
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/09/slin ... _truncated
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... heres-why/

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Yup.

Of course, remember that HBO is also rolling out their streaming service too (whatever that will be).

So far, this is very, very nice idea.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

ed

Postby ed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:47 pm

Rob Lister wrote:Two Words
Sling TV

Solves the issues nicely. I've 'applied' for an invite. Don't know if it is going to happen.

There are presumably deals for more on the table. Looks like $20 a month. Combine with Netflix at $8 a month and that is a sweet deal.

Here's the write up
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/09/slin ... _truncated
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... heres-why/

I'm there.
- new minimalist ethos -

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:29 am

A cord cutter for you:

And afterwards you can always eat him.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 am

I gotta tell you, as a review, I fucking love my router. I've yet to have to reboot it even once. It is consistent and very reliable.

TP Link 803.11AC model AC1750

P.S. I've yet to receive an invite from Sling.

Return to “Computers”