Cord Cutting, Cord Running

The war between wetware and hardware.
Grammatron

Re: Cord Cutting, Cord Running

Postby Grammatron » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:46 am

Rob Lister wrote:I gotta tell you, as a review, I fucking love my router. I've yet to have to reboot it even once. It is consistent and very reliable.

TP Link 803.11AC model AC1750

P.S. I've yet to receive an invite from Sling.

Thanks for a recommend.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:20 pm

ed wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:Two Words
Sling TV

Solves the issues nicely. I've 'applied' for an invite. Don't know if it is going to happen.

There are presumably deals for more on the table. Looks like $20 a month. Combine with Netflix at $8 a month and that is a sweet deal.

Here's the write up
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/09/slin ... _truncated
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... heres-why/

I'm there.

This is the first review of the service I've seen. I've yet to get an invite, which is fine, since I need reviews to see if the hype is true.

This is not a very good review.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01 ... t-live-tv/

But neither is it a terrible review.

To be honest, it appears they're setting up their own distinct cable network. Not a la carte at all. Though it wasn't really advertised that way something of that implication was there. You buy the service and you get some select channels. You can't drop channels and pay less or or add other channels and pay more or the same, you're stuck with what they have. That is pretty much the definition of my current cable system. Of course mine is five times as expensive but I get 10 time the channels ... channels I never ever watch.

Now that is okay if the price is right and they have all the channels you want (which in my case they do) and few of the channels you don't want (which in my case is also true) and you don't mind not being able to rewind or skip ahead (which is a little irksome to my spoiled self). Don't even think of skipping commercials and by golly, part of their deal appears to be that they will add their own targeted ads (the targeting is not defined but I assume regional for the time being).

I'm not hating it but I'm not in love either.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:12 am

Received a sling invite, thinking about it.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:36 pm

Grammatron wrote:Received a sling invite, thinking about it.

WTF!? I didn't. I was first. I was before you anyway. I've made historical inroads into cutting cords. I've advanced the science!

Damn. The insult. The injustice.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Welp, I can sign up for it now but they don't have a samsung smart hub app. Damned if I'm going to chromecast it.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:23 pm

An update to November's post:
The wife (whom I love so very so so) has reneged on our contract. She says it is not what she wanted, not what she demanded, not what she was promised, not, not, not, not, not. Something about pushing more buttons than promised. Something about having to decide when it should just 'be'. Something about my utter recent failure to please utterly. Something....

She has surrendered. This month's cable bill was $10 more than last month's; they once again raised prices. I confronted her about again with flyer in hand and asked if she thought it was logical to keep paying for something we just.don't.use.or.want.or.need. She was in a rare mood and told me I was, unusually, right ... for once.

I just returned from the COX store wherein I returned both set-top boxes, both remotes, and both power cables. I did not put it off because she might change her mind again. They credited my bill $89 for the unused part of the month, and didn't even try to talk me out of it. I'm keeping the [most excellent] internet and phone service. My work pays for the phone and I bet I can get them to subsidize the internet.

The cord is officially cut.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Just learned about this service today. I haven't a clue yet what it is really all about.

http://www.filmon.com/

All I really know is that they just [kinda] won a court case against a conglomerate of TV and content producers trying to keep them from rebroadcasting TV.
article
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...s ... uldnt-get/

A federal judge has ruled that video-streaming service FilmOn should be treated like a cable company and is entitled to the same compulsory copyright license that cable systems get.
It's a huge and unexpected win, coming not long after Aereo failed when it tried to make the same argument in court. If upheld, the decision would open a route to legal TV-over-Internet businesses—not just for FilmOn but for future competitors.
In his 15-page order, US District Judge George Wu acknowledged that his preliminary decision is in direct conflict with the 2nd Circuit, and he said he'll allow an immediate appeal to the 9th Circuit. The TV broadcasters who sued FilmOn for copyright infringement, which include all four major TV networks, will surely pursue that option.

It appears to be a lot like the Aereo system that the Supreme Court shut down last year but they have the advantage of not having that Aereo baggage.

Are essentially an internet based cable provider?

No Roku app that I can find. No Smart TV app.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:33 pm

Rob Lister wrote:An update to November's post:
The wife (whom I love so very so so) has reneged on our contract. She says it is not what she wanted, not what she demanded, not what she was promised, not, not, not, not, not. Something about pushing more buttons than promised. Something about having to decide when it should just 'be'. Something about my utter recent failure to please utterly. Something....

She has surrendered. This month's cable bill was $10 more than last month's; they once again raised prices. I confronted her about again with flyer in hand and asked if she thought it was logical to keep paying for something we just.don't.use.or.want.or.need. She was in a rare mood and told me I was, unusually, right ... for once.

I just returned from the COX store wherein I returned both set-top boxes, both remotes, and both power cables. I did not put it off because she might change her mind again. They credited my bill $89 for the unused part of the month, and didn't even try to talk me out of it. I'm keeping the [most excellent] internet and phone service. My work pays for the phone and I bet I can get them to subsidize the internet.

The cord is officially cut.

Just an update with a particularly inspiring win message.

It has been almost a year and a half since we have had cable. Last night, the wife wanted to watch the Olympics. I dutifully switched my source to Antenna and picked it up perfectly. She could endure no more than 30 minutes before complaining, "Oh My God! It's all commercials? What's up with all the commercials? Put it back on Netflix, I want to watch Penny Dreadful."

:D

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:09 pm

So, it's been a year and two months. I have not looked back. I can't tell you what brand of Tide is out there now.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:25 am

There is success by people sideloading the Amazon Instant Video app on the Nvidia Shield TV device.

This means with an Nvidia Shield TV sideloaded with SMPC (Kodi) + Amazon Instant video you get:
Android
HDR
10bit color support
HEVC video support
Netflix
Amazon
Youtube
Anything on your Home network via SMPC (Kodi) via SMB or DLNA.

The Roku Premiere/Ultra is out and has it's own Netflix/Amazon apps, but reading reports on the av forums it appears these one-off apps have issues switching in/out of 4k and HDR modes.

So currently the ShieldTV is the best embedded platform to use as a TV head.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:43 am

I got new tv a couple weeks ago and it gets all the basic stations without turning on the cable box. No rabbit ears.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:52 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:41 am

corplinx wrote:There is success by people sideloading the Amazon Instant Video app on the Nvidia Shield TV device.

This means with an Nvidia Shield TV sideloaded with SMPC (Kodi) + Amazon Instant video you get:
Android
HDR
10bit color support
HEVC video support
Netflix
Amazon
Youtube
Anything on your Home network via SMPC (Kodi) via SMB or DLNA.

The Roku Premiere/Ultra is out and has it's own Netflix/Amazon apps, but reading reports on the av forums it appears these one-off apps have issues switching in/out of 4k and HDR modes.

So currently the ShieldTV is the best embedded platform to use as a TV head.

Like a centralization of sources?
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Actually, that's a good point. Amazon is now adding HBO and Showtime channels to Amazon Instant Video.

Which means the Amazon Instant Video app is becoming an aggregrator of channels (whereas Netflix is more focused on original programming).

The Amazon Problem right now is.....

They have this beautiful show "The Grand Tour" in 4k/HDR/BlingUltra4000.

None of their FireTV devices support 4K/HDR.

They won't release their app on general Android TV (because they want to sell FireTV devices). The Shield TV (nvidia) handles 4K+HDR output.

The Roku Ultra handles 4K, HDR, _and_ it's internal version of Amazon video will play it in this format (but reading the owners thread at avs, it is not a seamless device). ref: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networ ... ad-63.html (read backwards)

Basically, territorial pissing is the only reason why Nvidia's set top boxes aren't a pure plug and play-everything experience.

Now, if you download The Grand Tour because you are a Prime customer anyway, you can just play the files via Kodi and not bother with sideloading the Amazon Instant Video app.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Why not just have a dedicated media computer? Relying on 3rd party to hopefully release an app that will work with your device and won't hurt your soul seems odd to me.

ed

Postby ed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:12 pm

corplinx wrote:Actually, that's a good point. Amazon is now adding HBO and Showtime channels to Amazon Instant Video.

Which means the Amazon Instant Video app is becoming an aggregrator of channels (whereas Netflix is more focused on original programming).

The Amazon Problem right now is.....

They have this beautiful show "The Grand Tour" in 4k/HDR/BlingUltra4000.

None of their FireTV devices support 4K/HDR.

They won't release their app on general Android TV (because they want to sell FireTV devices). The Shield TV (nvidia) handles 4K+HDR output.

The Roku Ultra handles 4K, HDR, _and_ it's internal version of Amazon video will play it in this format (but reading the owners thread at avs, it is not a seamless device). ref: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networ ... ad-63.html (read backwards)

Basically, territorial pissing is the only reason why Nvidia's set top boxes aren't a pure plug and play-everything experience.

Now, if you download The Grand Tour because you are a Prime customer anyway, you can just play the files via Kodi and not bother with sideloading the Amazon Instant Video app.

Time was you had to change trains 20 times to get to chicago because there wasn't a standard track gauge.

Enter the Robber Barons.

Problem fixed.
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Grammatron wrote:Why not just have a dedicated media computer? Relying on 3rd party to hopefully release an app that will work with your device and won't hurt your soul seems odd to me.

Well. If I had to recommend a device to a friend, it would be something embedded/dedicated with low power they can use without ever calling me.

You don't want Windows 10 rebooting your movie for mandatory updates halfway through.

In my experience, PCs typically don't even have the RGB setting correct when you hook them up to a TV vs a Monitor. Tearing/etc are more likely with a PC. The PC uses too much power and puts off too much heat. The PC needs driver updates. The PC uses Kodi and Websites. Websites are not as easy to use via remote control as dedicated Android TV apps.

With the shield, SPMC (Kodi tailored for Android) is actually on the play store now that I check. So you hook up the shield, install SPMC, and you're done and you use it with a remote control. You never need to hook up a keyboard and mouse to rescue the thing. Google Play will keep the Netflix, SMPC, Youtube, etc apps updated for me (or the person I refer it to).

The Shield is what I put on friends. I have an older MacBook Pro I use with Kodi on my TV and I deal with it being Clunky. I switch to my PS4 if I want to watch Netflix/Prime.

ed

Postby ed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm

corplinx wrote:
Grammatron wrote:Why not just have a dedicated media computer? Relying on 3rd party to hopefully release an app that will work with your device and won't hurt your soul seems odd to me.

Well. If I had to recommend a device to a friend, it would be something embedded/dedicated with low power they can use without ever calling me.

You don't want Windows 10 rebooting your movie for mandatory updates halfway through.

In my experience, PCs typically don't even have the RGB setting correct when you hook them up to a TV vs a Monitor. Tearing/etc are more likely with a PC. The PC uses too much power and puts off too much heat. The PC needs driver updates. The PC uses Kodi and Websites. Websites are not as easy to use via remote control as dedicated Android TV apps.

With the shield, SPMC (Kodi tailored for Android) is actually on the play store now that I check. So you hook up the shield, install SPMC, and you're done and you use it with a remote control. You never need to hook up a keyboard and mouse to rescue the thing. Google Play will keep the Netflix, SMPC, Youtube, etc apps updated for me (or the person I refer it to).

The Shield is what I put on friends. I have an older MacBook Pro I use with Kodi on my TV and I deal with it being Clunky. I switch to my PS4 if I want to watch Netflix/Prime.

I've been using a dedicated computer for media (streaming, pirated stuff, games) for 15 years or so. It can have it's moments but ultimately it's just another device. Have not noticed any sort of problems with color and I appreciate the storage. I supposed I'd ditch it if there was a clear alternative.

So it's friday night, launch VUZe and bingo, 5 min later Project Runway is ready for my viewing pleasure. Not sure I am doing anything that I couldn't do with other stuff, guess it's just a habit.
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:44 pm

With the shield, you may have a computer serving NAS or DLNA on your network (where you pirate your content), but you use SMPC (kodi) to play them on the TV. No hard drive noises in your TV area. No fans blowing.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Apparently the Mi Box 3 (69 dollars)((giggity)) can do most of what the Shield does. It is the size of a wonder bread sandwich and does 4k streaming.

On paper, it checks off all the boxes:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware

Here is the hard thing for dedicated boxes or old repurposed computers:

Displaying animated custom subtitles over a 10 bit 1080p video.

If you use a DLNA player (maybe the one built in your TV), your DLNA server will have to transcode the file to play it. This means it takes the video stream, renders it, renders the .ass embedded subtitles (custom fonts and screen placement/size/color), overlays it, and then renders it all together.

Most television DLNA apps basically support H264 video + MP3/AAC natively and require the server transcode for anything outside that box (H265, DTS, subtitles, etc).

An early review of the then China-only Mi Box 3:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/04/18/ ... ed-review/

Basically, when you use a ShieldTV/MiBox, your media servier (Universal Media Server, Plex, whatever) will typically send the data raw to the client (SMPC aka KODI). When you use KODI (or its forks) with DLNA content, the server never does transcoding. It assumes you can just render everything sent. This works great if you can actually render it. Not so great if you can't. 10bit video with animated subtitles will

If you never plan to watch kids shows from Japan, it's really not an issue... Fuckin weeb shit.

If you have an OSX machine with access to your NAS, there is a nice OSX app called "SubMerge" that will create plain H264/MP3 videos with the subtitles pre-rendered and pre-muxed into the video. This helps you create videos that will play as intended on Tablets, Phones, Old Computer, PS3, PS4, Xbox, whatever.

Technically you can do this on a PC with Handbrake, but they make it as fun as self-flagellation. SubMerge is a single task app and it does it's job well. It also has a subtitle downloader embedded so that you can pull and pre-load.

Return to “Computers”