Cord Cutting, Cord Running

The war between wetware and hardware.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Cord Cutting, Cord Running

Postby Doctor X » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:17 pm

VLC LOL.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:45 am

Yes.. VLC is a good app for watching video... on your computer itself... if you have a Mac.

There are better players on the PC.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:01 pm

corplinx wrote:Image

You cannot be better than Everything and Free.

But you will always be worse on a PC.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm

corplinx wrote:With the shield, you may have a computer serving NAS or DLNA on your network (where you pirate your content), but you use SMPC (kodi) to play them on the TV. No hard drive noises in your TV area. No fans blowing.

I don't know if the shield is better or worse than what I have now. I'm happy with my current set-up. The hardware associated with my setup is the TV, my always-on desktop, two NAS devices, a roku and my tv. There's a dvd player connected to the tv as well but I never use it anymore. My desktop runs the plex server through an app on the roku. So I currently get 95% of my content through roku, the other 5% OTA. I subscribe (or share a subscription) to netflix, hulu, hbo now, and quite unnecessarily, plex. I've yet to actually use hulu. My end of all of that is ~$20 a month.

At the beginning of this venture I made a lot of technical plans that I never found necessary to implement. My desktop is pretty good but not good enough to transcode so I was going to build a dedicated linux server with built in NAS that could. But I never need to transcode so why bother? The roku and plex work so seamlessly that I don't see a need for anything fancier.

I disconnected the internet connection to my TV because I don't like it updating itself every third day -- Samsung sucks that way.

My only bitch is I need to use the original tv remote to turn the tv on and off and change the source/volume. I've almost pulled the trigger on all in ones but their too expensive.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:39 pm

The Roku Ultra/Premiere models do 4k/HDR but most of the bugs are with 4k/HDR, I imagine the early adopters will work out the bugs before most people have an HDR TV.

If you like that setup, stay with it. Sounds good.

I did notice the Roku DLNA player only plays H265/H264, so it covers most everything unless you are playing subtitled videos.

I think Plex Client+Server work using dedicated https transport versus DLNA. Which is fine.

I prefer Universal Media Server because instead of a library you basically just get a nice file level view of the content. I have a big directory full of TV, Movies, etc and I just want to browse it.

Other people prefer the Library/Metadata/etc approach. Works well for Netflix. I prefer fileview for local data.

Nice setup Rob.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Cord cutting on the road.

Chromecast Ultra (nov 2016 release) plays all the latest vid features natively. 4k, HDR, 10bit color, HEVC/x265 video. The problem is, it needs outbound internet.

So when you are in a hotel room, often you have a 1 device limit for hotel wifi, in addition you have a splash page for using it.

1. Buy a travel wireless router. You need good bandwidth between your laptop/phone/tablet and the chromecast. You also need to mask your devices behind one mac address to fool the hotel device limit and avoid the splash page.

The netgear trek n300 should do. You put it on the hotel wifi net. You run your private wifi, you log in the splash from your laptop/tablet/phone or whatever you put on it first, then everything else on your private net has internets.

2. Plug the chromecast in the hotel room TV.

3. I recommend VideoCast for Chrome for slinging videos to the Chromecast, although plex does it as well. I tend to use videostream as a chrome app on my laptop when travelling though.

Voila, you can take a bunch of HEVC compressed video with you on a trip.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:43 am

That seems like overkill for hotel TVs, but very smart and convenient.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:52 pm

The ultra does not actually playback HEVC at the moment other than with Netflix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/com ... vc_native/

The technical details will make you facepalm if you have a computer tech background.

Basically, when the Chromecast connects to a media center, it sends a User Agent string just like your web browser does.

The Google official answer for how you tell it is a Chromecast is that you look for the word "CrKey" in the Agent string.

Okay, fine. There is a new revision that can do things the old model can't.

And the string is the same except the cpu string changed.

That is really, really bad design.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Why would you not simply hook a pc up to your tv?
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Why hookup a PC when you just plug in a tiny HDMI dongle?

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm

becasuse you gots vuze and all the other crap
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 am

The nice room in have in Mexico has a modern 60 inch TV.

I had to dick with the settings to get it to not overscan output from my laptop. Now its happily displaying Kodi for me. I have the chrome cast ultra as well, but here it is easier to just use hdmi from the laptop itself. Kore (the android Kodi remote app) let's me avoid all the Latino soap operas

Though I have something resembling internet, even streaming from Spotify over the chrome cast stops and buffers. I think some of the CDNs get confused as well.

My amazon echo dot is almost useless and even has issues trying to retrieve weather. I wound up tethering as a Bluetooth speaker for my phone.

So when it was business time .. The right music came on.

Other note, I got one wireless pass good for one mac address. So I hooked up my netgear trek n300 , hooked up my laptop to it, and set the travel router to my hotel wireless. I went through the login page for the hotel on my laptop, then set the travel router to broadcast my home network ssid and WPA pass. Then suddenly my phone, tablet, chromecast, and echo dot all came online. To them, they are still at home on my wireless. Nice. Wireless wan spoofed/bridged to wireless land.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 am

The Nvidia ShieldTV unit's latest update includes the amazon instant video app.

So you get Android, SPMC (kodi), Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon Instant Video with 4k/HDR on one tiny device now.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 am

I was visiting the friend who has the ShieldTV this evening. Nicely enough, it works as a chromecast device. So I found a youtube video on my phone, hit "cast", and voila; they were subjected to "It's Raining Tacos".

I may have to replace the OSX laptop I use as media head with the Shield and stop worrying about the chromecast dongle except for travel.

Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/Plex/Kodi/SPMC/Spotify/Pandora and works with all Chromecast apps. 4k/10bit/HDR.

Not bad at all.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:33 am

The Asus Zenpad 3s gives you a 10 inch tablet that can do HEVC/10bit in hardware. The Pixel C can do it, but that's not a tablet priced tablet.

So you can rip/download in x265 format and play with subtitles without getting dropped frames.

I've been waiting for a tablet in the usual price range with these video capabilities. I use SPMC/Kodi and stream from Serviio currently.

Emby has become the goto media server for some since it supports GPU transcoding, but Serviio pairs well with BubbleUPNP for controlling cast capable android devices.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 am

Costco has 4k-HDR TVs that are basically Roku heads for sale. My office TV is now a 49 inch one of these. "The Grand Tour" looks kind of awesome in 4K with HDR light effects.

The Roku software has Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, Plex, and a plain ole DLNA client built in. I had issue playing 4k HEVC content on my local net though until I told the Plex app to only burn in image based subtitles. I also couldn't play Uncharted 4 in HDR until I set the HDMI mode for the PS4's port to 2.0 instead of automatic.

The 55 inch version is 419 at Costco. Has ethernet plug and 3 hdmi ports.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

:De_Bunk: So now Viacom is [thinking of] setting up their own streaming service.

Viacom to launch its own streaming service this year

Is there room in the market for yet another streaming service? Viacom thinks so. The company, on its earnings call on Thursday, said it’s planning to launch its own ad-supported streaming service by September 2018, the end of its fiscal year. The service will include “tens of thousands of hours of content” from across Viacom’s library.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/09/viaco ... this-year/

Now just to be clear: Ad-supported does not mean otherwise free.

Viacom owns a lot of fucking content. Problem is, it is mostly crap content. They own Paramount Pictures International so they some decent stuff.

They are also [part of] the reason cable costs went from $20/mo to $100/mo. No Cox Cable, you can't have MTV unless you also buy these 6 other channels nobody will ever watch.

But if the price is right I'll UN-subscribe from one of the others and subscribe for a while with them. I'm already so inundated with commercial free content I doubt I'll ever get around to it though.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:24 am

The golden age of piracy is about to experience a renaissance.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:09 pm

corplinx wrote:Yes.. VLC is a good app for watching video... on your computer itself... if you have a Mac.

Interested in hearing about it. I switched to VLC a while ago when I was tired of using multiple players and chasing down codecs. Just kind of stuck with it since. What is the new hotness?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:16 pm

gnome wrote:
corplinx wrote:Yes.. VLC is a good app for watching video... on your computer itself... if you have a Mac.

Interested in hearing about it. I switched to VLC a while ago when I was tired of using multiple players and chasing down codecs. Just kind of stuck with it since. What is the new hotness?

I also switched to VLC a while back for the exact same reasons

Return to “Computers”