Crashed Radio Shack flogs off its IPv4 stash

The war between wetware and hardware.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:15 pm

The Register
Collapsed retail store RadioShack will auction off its public IPv4 addresses as part of its ongoing bankruptcy proceedings.

The 32,000-odd addresses will be sold off in /24 and /20 subnets by auction site IPv4Auctions.com, which specializes in the sale and resale of the increasingly valuable online space. The website says it has "exclusivity" on RadioShack's IPv4 blocks.

Typically, IPv4 addresses only appear on the market after a company goes bankrupt. In the early days of the internet, IPv4 blocks were handed out a little too generously to what were then the large computer and telecommunications companies. As those companies die off, so the blocks have become salable assets.

For a long time, the organizations in charge of allocating address blocks – regional internet registries (RIRs) – insisted that any spare addresses and capacity should be returned to them, for free, for reallocation.

But with the addresses worth increasing amounts of money as companies try to expand, but resist efforts to shift over to IPv6, that approach has become untenable and the RIRs effectively turn a blind eye to the auctions.

In April of this year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology threw open the doors on that approach when it announced it wanted to sell its very large /8 block of 16 million addresses in order to fund expansion of its IPv6 network.

Complete list at link.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Re: Crashed Radio Shack flogs off its IPv4 stash

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Dibs on 139.60.212.86 !!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:52 pm

I don't understand this ...
For a long time, the organizations in charge of allocating address blocks – regional internet registries (RIRs) – insisted that any spare addresses and capacity should be returned to them, for free, for reallocation.

But with the addresses worth increasing amounts of money as companies try to expand, but resist efforts to shift over to IPv6, that approach has become untenable and the RIRs effectively turn a blind eye to the auctions.
Why would they turn a blind eye? Don't they have legal standing?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Pure speculation based on extremely limited understanding:

- The market premium on IPv4 blocks will serve as an incentive to migrate to IPv6
- Reduces the administrative burden of reallocating the IPv4 which is now absorbed by the negotiating private parties.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:58 am

Something similar is phone numbers. Certain phone numbers can be valuable. Apparently all the phone numbers in the 212 area code (New York City, Manhattan) are used up, so if you want one you either have to go on a waiting list or buy one. (You can still get one with a different area code I think, but for some reason the 212 is preferred)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:26 am

Anaxagoras wrote:... for some reason the 212 is preferred
It's the true original Fun City TM area code.

Hey ed! Remember who called it Fun City? God you're old. :oldman:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale