Microchip 4 U

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Microchip 4 U

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:00 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40710051

Three Square Market is offering to implant the tiny radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip into workers' hands for free - and says everyone will soon be doing it.

The rice grain-sized $300 (£230) chip will allow them to open doors, log in to computers and even purchase food.
And so far, 50 employees have signed up for the chance to become half-human, half-walking credit card.

But far from being some sort of dystopian nightmare, Three Square Market's Patrick McMullan believes everyone will soon be wanting their own microchip.

"The international market place is wide open and we believe that the future trajectory of total market share is going to be driven by whoever captures this arena first," Mr McMullan said.

Oh fuck off.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Microchip 4 U

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 am

Someplace, probably not the USA, will be the first to make it compulsory.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 am

The truth though is, that if you carry around a cell phone, they can already track you in more or less the same way. And except for old paranoids like Abdul ( ;) ) just about everyone over age 16 or under age 75 has one already.
People feel less resistance to carrying a device than to having one literally implanted in their body. At least for now. You don't have to carry it after all, and you can turn it off. But nobody does because they are addicted to it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:28 am

Ever see the movie The President's Analyst ? :coolspecs:

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 am

I'm confident lots of people will actually be eager to get implanted with fashionable stuff:
Three years ago, Neil Harbisson, who is completely color-blind, had an antenna implanted in his skull that enables the artist and entrepreneur to sense color via audio vibrations. The long, metallic device, dubbed the ‘eyeborg,’ curves over the top of his head and hovers just above his eye line. It effectively made Harbisson into one of the world’s first cyborgs.

Harbisson’s transformation was extensively covered by the media, and elicited correspondence from people all over the world interested in new senses. In response, he and a team of collaborators have launched Cyborg Nest, a company that aims to manufacture and sell implantable senses under the slogan “Design Your Evolution.” For £250 ($350) you can pre-order the UK-based company’s first product­—the North Sense—and join the ranks of animal species that have the ability to sense the earth’s geomagnetic field and use it like a compass.

The North Sense is around a square inch in size and can be implanted superficially via dual titanium barbell piercings. The device has no buttons, screen, lights, or sounds. It simply vibrates when its wearer faces north.
https://qz.com/716095/this-company-will-help-you-become-a-cyborg-one-implanted-sense-at-a-time/

Still rudimentary. Yet. But soon "never forget or lose your credit card"… :|

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:11 am

Anaxagoras wrote:The truth though is, that if you carry around a cell phone, they can already track you in more or less the same way. And except for old paranoids like Abdul ( ;) ) just about everyone over age 16 or under age 75 has one already.
People feel less resistance to carrying a device than to having one literally implanted in their body. At least for now. You don't have to carry it after all, and you can turn it off. But nobody does because they are addicted to it.

I don't see how that's the same thing as carrying around a cellphone.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:16 am

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:The truth though is, that if you carry around a cell phone, they can already track you in more or less the same way. And except for old paranoids like Abdul ( ;) ) just about everyone over age 16 or under age 75 has one already.

Because both are tracking devices. That's not their only function, or even necessarily the intended function. But it is something they can both be used for.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:23 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Because both are tracking devices. That's not their only function, or even necessarily the intended function. But it is something they can both be used for.

I agree that there's overlap, even significant overlap, but I would argue it's not the same at all.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 am

Grammatron wrote:

There's been a long standing conflict between phone tracking and privacy protection. For all intents and purposes, if you are concerned about electronic tracking, then your phone is a tracking device. Not necessarily an efficient or precise one, but part of cellular phone technology involves location tracking just to coordinate communications with the towers.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 am

Mentat wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

There's been a long standing conflict between phone tracking and privacy protection. For all intents and purposes, if you are concerned about electronic tracking, then your phone is a tracking device. Not necessarily an efficient or precise one, but part of cellular phone technology involves location tracking just to coordinate communications with the towers.

Sure, that's the overlap. But I can get a pre-paid phone with cash and who will you be tracking then?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 am

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Because both are tracking devices. That's not their only function, or even necessarily the intended function. But it is something they can both be used for.

I agree that there's overlap, even significant overlap, but I would argue it's not the same at all.

OK. A microchip implant and a cellphone are not exactly the same thing. Point conceded.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:36 am

Grammatron wrote:Sure, that's the overlap. But I can get a pre-paid phone with cash and who will you be tracking then?

Ah. I see.

But is that the sort of phone that most people actually use?
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Grammatron wrote:Sure, that's the overlap. But I can get a pre-paid phone with cash and who will you be tracking then?

Ah. I see.

Couldn't find recent statistics, but no that's not what most people use. Yet I would say it is irrelevant what most people use or don't use. The simple fact that this option exists drastically sets cellphone apart from implanted microchips.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:58 am

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

Ah. I see.

Couldn't find recent statistics, but no that's not what most people use. Yet I would say it is irrelevant what most people use or don't use. The simple fact that this option exists drastically sets cellphone apart from implanted microchips.

Well it sets those particular kinds of phones apart I guess.

It seems that some people in congress want to end this however.

This article is from 2010:

Congress Cracks Down On Anonymous Prepaid Cellphones

Prepaid cellphones have long been used by unsavory criminal types, which is understandable! They're anonymous, inexpensive, and did I mention anonymous already? But now that we know the alleged Times Square bomber one, regulators have gotten out their regulatin' stick.

A new bill was introduced yesterday by senators Chuck Schumer and John Cornyn that would require prepaid cellphone purchasers to show ID at the time of sale. Their information would then be registered with phone companies, permitting law enforcement to keep tabs on them in case of malfeasance.

Some states have already implemented this measure, but the potential terrorism-related uses—in addition to those pre-existing insider trading and drug-related uses—caught the federal government's interest. As it should! If this had been around eight years ago, maybe McNulty wouldn't have been driven to drink so.

The excuse at the time was that a terrorist used one.

And from 2016:
Proposed bill would block anonymous sale of ‘burner’ phones in US

Recent concerns over the use of technology by terrorists has prompted a crusade in the government against encryption, but a bill introduced by California Representative Jackie Speier looks to close a different loophole. The bill, if passed, would require retailers to get identification from anyone who buys a so-called “burner” phone. Spier claims unregistered burner phones represent a significant gap in law enforcement’s ability to investigate terrorism, drugs, and human trafficking.

In this context, we’re not only talking about the cheap burner phones you see in movies. The legislation also covers prepaid smartphones and SIM cards. Right now, it’s possible to buy a prepaid phone for cash, then load up on airtime without ever using a credit card or showing an ID. The bill would require anyone purchasing such a product to provide identification. If you’ve tried to purchase a decongestant with pseudoephedrine in the last decade, the process will probably be similar.

Suitable forms of identification for purchasing a prepaid burner would include a federal or state ID, a W-2 tax statement, a form 1099, or any other official document deemed acceptable by law enforcement. The end result is that buying a burner would mean your name, address, and birth date would be entered into a database. This is something law enforcement certainly wants, and it’s hard to deny that it would make investigating crime easier. For example, the terrorists who perpetrated the recent attacks in Paris used burner phones, not encryption to plan their attacks. However, this bill is based on the assumption that a significant portion of burner phones are sold to criminals. In reality, that’s just not the case.

So it isn't the law yet, but some people in congress would like to make it the law. And terrorism will be the wedge they use.

And what happens if you use one of these phones to log into your Facebook page for example?
William Shakespeare

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:04 am

Nobody, but like Anax said, that's not the case for most people. It's not the same thing as a chip, but I think the point is more that we've been slowly becoming more easily traceable with existing technologies, such as cell phones. Chips are just more in-your-face about their tracking, hence the strong emotional reaction they elicit.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:26 am

I am of the opinion that the mere fact that this option exist for cellphones makes them an orange to the apple of microchips.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 am

So less expensive but far less reliable?

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am

Regarding burner phones, if they want to find the owner of a particular burner phone they just have to look at who it called and who called it. Connecting the dots is fairly trivial.

My understanding of the microchip is that it doesn't track you except as you use it. The same could be said for a credit card, cell phone, maybe even your car.

But how to hack it?

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm

The chip (not the phone) will be compulsory for the children. Sort of like a low-jack.

If it saves even one child's life ...

Similar technology is already in use in the USA for cattle roundups. :)

xouper

Postby xouper » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:. . . Similar technology is already in use in the USA for cattle sheep roundups. :)

ftfy :P

Return to “Computers”