Interactive app programming

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Interactive app programming

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Okay...so part of my job is making interactive kiosk applications from time to time. Up until the licensing died on my laptop, I'd been using Adobe Director...which Adobe killed back in February. Trying to figure out a suitable replacement that isn't Flash and ActionScript, but I'll go there if I have to. The apps have to run on Windows. One of our other groups apparently uses Flash/ActionScript, then exports to HTML5, and the result is an insane labyrinth of JSON strings, XML, images, HTML that should be burned with fire, and you have to install MAMP or something else to run the damned thing in Chrome. Director would give me a nice executable package and I could even communicate with servers if I wanted to.

So anyway...what? HTML5/CSS plus React.js or Node.js or Angular.js? Python? C#? C++? D? F? Java? Xamarin? Ruby? LiveCode's implementation of HyperCard? Some other language yet to be determined?

Then there's the question of which IDE to use. Dreamweaver sucks for programming. I'd be better off with Notepad++

I can already do Swift for iPad applications. Maybe there's a Swift compiler for PC, I dunno. Getting bewildered by all the options.

--Covfefed in Cleveland
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Re: Interactive app programming

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

I have only a very dim idea of what a "kiosk app" is. :(

For Swift/Windows I found this:
https://swiftforwindows.github.io/
https://www.reddit.com/r/swift/comments ... r_windows/

Hope it helps. :?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Oh, sorry. Touch screen stuff. Kind of like this.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Although VR is now all the rage with all the hep cats.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Okay...so part of my job is making interactive kiosk applications from time to time. Up until the licensing died on my laptop, I'd been using Adobe Director...which Adobe killed back in February. Trying to figure out a suitable replacement that isn't Flash and ActionScript, but I'll go there if I have to. The apps have to run on Windows.
Visual Basic.

:bricks:

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

MATLAB Web Server for the backend, and web assembly for the frontend. Duh.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?