About that DDoS attack...

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

About that DDoS attack...

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:51 pm

No, not ours.

https://www.wired.com/story/mirai-botne ... -internet/
THE MOST DRAMATIC cybersecurity story of 2016 came to a quiet conclusion Friday in an Anchorage courtroom, as three young American computer savants pleaded guilty to masterminding an unprecedented botnet—powered by unsecured internet-of-things devices like security cameras and wireless routers—that unleashed sweeping attacks on key internet services around the globe last fall. What drove them wasn’t anarchist politics or shadowy ties to a nation-state. It was Minecraft.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Mentat

Re: About that DDoS attack...

Post by Mentat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:36 am

All that damn work and money to knock minecraft servers offline? Damn, I've used to knock out my own server once a week just on accident; who the hell pays for this?

Not to mention all those unmaintained mods and plugins that have ed knows how many vulnerabilities.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 am

Originally, prosecutors say, the defendants hadn’t intended to bring down the internet—they had been trying to gain an advantage in the computer game Minecraft.
My kids play Minecraft, I even tried it out myself. I didn't think it was a competitive sort of game where one would need an "advantage".

I guess I just didn't realize how deep the game goes. I thought it was more just a sandbox kind of game where you build your own little world. :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 am

Pyrrho wrote:No, not ours.
What?!? We aren't important enough? :x

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:17 am

I blame the hip-hop.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Originally, prosecutors say, the defendants hadn’t intended to bring down the internet—they had been trying to gain an advantage in the computer game Minecraft.
My kids play Minecraft, I even tried it out myself. I didn't think it was a competitive sort of game where one would need an "advantage".

I guess I just didn't realize how deep the game goes. I thought it was more just a sandbox kind of game where you build your own little world. :notsure:
It's not the players, it's the server hosts. They try to monetize the dickens out of the game.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?