The war between wetware and hardware.
Grammatron

We're all doomed

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 pm

https://meltdownattack.com/
Q:Am I affected by the bug?

A: Most certainly, yes.

Q: What can be leaked?

A: If your system is affected, our proof-of-concept exploit can read the memory content of your computer. This may include passwords and sensitive data stored on the system.
This being a hardware problem, everyone is affected: Windows, Linux, OSX, iOS, Android....all.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: We're all doomed

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:04 pm

I looked into this for a similar sort of thread expecting to note that Macs are t3h 1m00nz3!11!!HA!GrammyFag but, apparently, the security update released over three months ago dealt with it.

Kind of interesting how it "EFFECT ALL CHIPS!11!!" given the differences I thought existed between not simply different computer makers, but even different products from the same maker.

I blame sparks.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm

The patches come with significant performance hits for CPU, around 30% in performance reduction.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... sign_flaw/
Crucially, these updates to both Linux and Windows will incur a performance hit on Intel products. The effects are still being benchmarked, however we're looking at a ballpark figure of five to 30 per cent slow down, depending on the task and the processor model. More recent Intel chips have features – such as PCID – to reduce the performance hit. Your mileage may vary.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Doctor X wrote:I looked into this for a similar sort of thread expecting to note that Macs are t3h 1m00nz3!11!!HA!GrammyFag but, apparently, the security update released over three months ago dealt with it.

Kind of interesting how it "EFFECT ALL CHIPS!11!!" given the differences I thought existed between not simply different computer makers, but even different products from the same maker.

I blame sparks.

--J.D.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

They have not finished patching these issues.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:34 pm

All Mac systems and iOS devices are affected, but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time. Since exploiting many of these issues requires a malicious app to be loaded on your Mac or iOS device, we recommend downloading software only from trusted sources such as the App Store.
Once again, unlike the Nazi-Loving Communist Lickspittle Running Dog Rapist-Supporting Infected with t3h gh3y . . . not . . . that . . . PC Users[Tm.--Ed.] you have to actually download the damn thing, give it permission to run, et cetera. Incidentally, the NEW :hyper: OS has a even more violent Gatekeeper whose default is to not let you even load, let alone install, any application not Officially Approves by Your Lord and Master the Corpse of Steve Jobs. That pretty much solves the problem unless a Trusted and True application's website, itself, gets hacked so its downloads are infected . . . which would invalidate the code signatures and all of that.

Where it is "a problem" is that there are good "unapproved" applications. So you have to turn off Gatekeeper and/or allow it to run a specific application. For most people with the intelligence beyond that of a dyslexic oyster, that is not a problem.

But, for the Same Type of People who run PCs without anti-virus software and open every attachment they get from James Comey, the Emperor of Nigeria--"but it came from his official @f.bee.eye.ru account!" there are Mac users who actually believe they need to install Flash from Vietnam to watch that video of Your Mom.

I mean . . . really . . . you can see that on Youtube.

Or so I have heard.

In the rain.
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm

but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time
There are no example of these exploits affecting anyone in the wild.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:18 am

Damn!

Doomed AGAIN! :|
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:25 am

It's Y2K all over again.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 am

Grammatron wrote:
but there are no known exploits impacting customers at this time
There are no example of these exploits affecting anyone in the wild.
From what I gather, it's in the same category as rowhammer in that it's pretty difficult to exploit in a productive manner. Something more for a state actor to target than your average script kiddie.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.