SSDs

The war between wetware and hardware.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: SSDs

Post by Rob Lister » Thu May 03, 2018 8:56 pm

sparks wrote:Yet, it is under someone else's control. Not exclusively yours, once you upload.

Therefore, FAIL.
For winning values of fail, sure. It is as much yours after you upload as is the data on your personal hard drive. The one that's failing. As we speak.

Or maybe you're just being difficult.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu May 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Rob Lister wrote:. . . As my second aside, how much do I need? I can't even fill a quarter gig.
I have some files that are larger than a gigabyte per file. In fact one of them is more than 140 gigabytes.

But wait, there's more . . .

I will need almost one terabyte if I reach my goal of one million free kindle books (as of today I only have 240,000). For Abdul: how many cd-roms will that require to backup? :wink:

The folder with 240,000 thumbnail cover images for those kindle books is over 10 gigabytes.

The database file (an xml file downloaded from amazon) for my collection of 240,000 free kindle books is currently 120 megabytes (author, publisher, asin, purchase date). Not to mention the folder of email invoices from amazon, one for each free book I bought.

And that's just one of my hobbies. :P

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Rob Lister wrote:As an aside I am amazed they can squeeze 12g on a mechanical drive, regardless of the failure rate.

As my second aside, how much do I need? I can't even fill a quarter gig.
I presume you mean TB.

It all depends on what you do. Shooting my pictures in RAW:
– 3 hour stroll, ~ 2 GB;
– longer stay somewhere, 10+ GB.

One full-resolution panorama, ~ 600+ MB (uncompressed TIFF, 16 bits). Then you have to work on it, save intermediate stages, variants… A lot gets deleted afterwards, of course, and the result(s) saved as PNG (or lossless JP2), yet you need that HD space.

It all adds up quickly, and there is also video.

I'd require a really hefty Internet connection and hosting/cloud plan to regularly upload all that stuff.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri May 04, 2018 1:45 am

Rob Lister wrote:
sparks wrote:Yet, it is under someone else's control. Not exclusively yours, once you upload.

Therefore, FAIL.
For winning values of fail, sure. It is as much yours after you upload as is the data on your personal hard drive. The one that's failing. As we speak.

Or maybe you're just being difficult.
The shit on my local harddrive is not available to you or anyone else. Shit that I upload to the cloud is. It's not terribly difficult. I'm not being terribly difficult.

Pull your head out of your ample ass and think please. Shit in the cloud is much easier to steal than the shit on your local harddrive.

"...winning values of fail..." Nice turn of phrase, but again, pull your head out of your ass. :De_Bunk:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 am

My fee for the use of "it is not terribly difficult" is a very reasonable upgrade of your stereos.

Tell me . . . about . . . "why fie?"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat May 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Well, to begin with, Why Fie doesn't work well for the real-time transmission of audio. The so called Blue Tooth (Gross...caused largely by blue milk and blue Jello...Just ask Cosby, and that fucker is blind now) just doesn't have the bandwidth and therefore, comprehension must take place. Since I'm no damned good at comprehension, my music files sound like hammered baby whale shit when delivered wirelessly via the phucking phone. That's why I prefer a decent thumbs-up-the-butt drive. Works great in the New to me Silverado. Except that WMD doesn't play well with a system designed to deal with fucking Macs....

Please help.

Sincerely,
Fucked up in Seattle :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.