Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19199
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 171 times
Been thanked: 571 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby corplinx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm

I mean, one site's name? I must be going to the wrong scifi sites if I'm missing the shitfest.

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Mostly FB groups

There looks to still be a big giant shitstorm on "Doctor Who and the T.A.R.D.I.S" and "Time Lords of Gallifrey". Saw a bit about it yesterday on "Space Opera" but I unfollowed that group yesterday so I have no idea if it's still going on, and don't care to check. Should just quit that one, that's where I saw the "white knighting" bullshit occured.. A shitstorm started on a local group called "Great Basin Geeks" but it got shut down by the mods. Oh, and the comment section of The Guardian on the story where they announced it.

Need I go on? Or do you want a list of every sci fi related group I am on? If the latter, that's going to have to wait until I get home to unjoin every single one of them because now that politics has reared its head in them, I doubt its ever going away. It never does. Not sure what the game here is. I think the only sci-fi group where I have not seen anything on it at all was "Cyberpunk Science Fiction & Culture" because the mods there are pretty firm on keeping the discussion cyberpunk related and Doctor Who doesn't fall under that umbrella.

Notice none of these are alt-right/MRA sites nor is it trawling Twitter for things to get mad over. Just sites that are in my feed every day usually with nothing like this

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31032
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1202 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Mostly FB groups

There looks to still be a big giant shitstorm on "Doctor Who and the T.A.R.D.I.S" and "Time Lords of Gallifrey". Saw a bit about it yesterday on "Space Opera" but I unfollowed that group yesterday so I have no idea if it's still going on, and don't care to check. Should just quit that one. A shitstorm started on a local group called "Great Badin Geeks" but it got shut down by the mods.

Need I go on?

Notice none of these are alt-right/MRA sites nor is it trawling Twitter for things to get mad over. Just sites that are in my feed every day usually with nothing like this


The topic is already charged up with rage, any rational discussion is out the window, particularly on Facebook which makes it hard to have a discussion and easy to be angry. It's unfortunate because I think most of the people probably don't disagree but everyone goes tribal. Then people start getting attacked for no reason and sides get muddy but angrier.

Take this image as an example. I doubt the two groups would overlap much (if at all ) in a Venn diagram yet here we are.

Image
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 65499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 1867 times
Been thanked: 821 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Hey Nyar!

Facebook is not the world, thanks be to No-God. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm

A shitstorm is a shitstorm is a shitstorm.

All I know is having a mildly positive opinion on the subject ("we shouldn't dismiss when there hasn't been so much as a frame of footage with her as the doctor") gets me flak. It's bullshit. And now it means politics has corrupted all the places I used to like to frequent to talk about one of my favorite genres, and that shit never reverses itself. It sucks.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 65499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 1867 times
Been thanked: 821 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

OK, let's cut to the chase.

Is the new Doctor Who hot? 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hey Nyar!

Facebook is not the world, thanks be to No-God. :)


These are actual thoughts of actual people, who live in the world.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 65499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 1867 times
Been thanked: 821 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:15 pm

OK, but is she hot?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:OK, let's cut to the chase.

Is the new Doctor Who hot? 8)


That's an individual judgement call

Image

Not ugly by any means, not drop dead gorgeous IMO. YMMV

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 65499
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 1867 times
Been thanked: 821 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm

Not an obvious uggo, certainly. Not to me anyway.
Would Lister do her?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Mostly FB groups

There looks to still be a big giant shitstorm on "Doctor Who and the T.A.R.D.I.S" and "Time Lords of Gallifrey". Saw a bit about it yesterday on "Space Opera" but I unfollowed that group yesterday so I have no idea if it's still going on, and don't care to check. Should just quit that one. A shitstorm started on a local group called "Great Badin Geeks" but it got shut down by the mods.

Need I go on?

Notice none of these are alt-right/MRA sites nor is it trawling Twitter for things to get mad over. Just sites that are in my feed every day usually with nothing like this


The topic is already charged up with rage, any rational discussion is out the window, particularly on Facebook which makes it hard to have a discussion and easy to be angry. It's unfortunate because I think most of the people probably don't disagree but everyone goes tribal. Then people start getting attacked for no reason and sides get muddy but angrier.

Take this image as an example. I doubt the two groups would overlap much (if at all ) in a Venn diagram yet here we are.

Image


Corplinx asked. I answered. Don't know what else to say

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31032
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1202 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Corplinx asked. I answered. Don't know what else to say


I think if you ignore this topic for 2 weeks, you can go back to the same forums and talk about shows without this "controversy" derailing discussions.

Meanwhile, Game of Thrones is back. Did you watch it? I think Cersei this season really parallels Trump, want to discuss that? :mrgreen:
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm

No, planning on watching tonight.

Got sidetracked yesterday binge watching Dimension 404 and was TV'd out by the time I was done.

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Grammatron wrote:
I think if you ignore this topic for 2 weeks, you can go back to the same forums and talk about shows without this "controversy" derailing discussions.


Also, doubt it. Maybe this particular issue won't come up. But I have found that real world politics nosing into any place that is normally free of them, is the the death knell for those places as anything BUT discussions of real world politics.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 18730
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator
Location: Hiding under ed's bed
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not an obvious uggo, certainly. Not to me anyway.
Would Lister do her?


Oh damn. Hell yea. I might even watch it now.

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:36 am

Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Meanwhile, Game of Thrones is back. Did you watch it? I think Cersei this season really parallels Trump, want to discuss that? :mrgreen:


I didn't really see the parallell

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31032
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1202 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Meanwhile, Game of Thrones is back. Did you watch it? I think Cersei this season really parallels Trump, want to discuss that? :mrgreen:


I didn't really see the parallell


Oh, that was a bad joke. Meant as a joke via hypothetical discussion of GoT getting ruined by inserting politics into discussions via Trump. I guess I went 2Meta2Furious.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 46303
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 692 times
Been thanked: 1127 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:01 am

Ah.

Things have gotten so bad, I can't tell anymore

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 31032
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1202 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:06 am

That is bad. You need a humorotomy.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 63831
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 2639 times
Been thanked: 1654 times

Re: Epic Butthurt Incoming!!!!

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 am

Really, because Tyrion is so totally Neil Gorsuch.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image


Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anaxagoras, CCBot [Bot] and 0 guests