The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

The Weeb Report

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:40 pm

The new japanimation season is upon is!
http://anichart.net/spring

Macross is back with Macross Delta allowing you to watch Robots fight when you are secretly rooting for the power of jpop music to solve everything.

Joker Game is one of the few shows not based on a japanimanga. It is based on a novel series (not light novel) that hasn't been translated into English. WW2 is the setting. Be a hipster and claim to have read the books before the show became cool!

Ace Attorney (the infamous gameboy game) has it's own show. Early reviews say that the animation sucks. What were they expecting, that is just staying true to the source.

There is no Attack of Titan this season because the production company said "We would have to dragonball z/bleach it a ton of filler episodes to keep from going off-comic."

One of the few shows that hasn't debuted yet is Kiznaiver. Kiznaiver is the most anticipated show since it comes from the studio behing Kill la Kill, FLCL, and Gurren Lagasomething Mole People.

On the japanimanga side of the house, all you need to know is One Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul are still at the top of the Best Seller list and have been for over 30 weeks:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-boo ... /list.html

The New York Times is obviously the best place to go to find out what is popular. Otherwise you wind up seeing ads for used panties.

One Punch Man's anime adaption was so popular, it still has more torrent seeds than much of the new season's premieres.

This was the Weeb report and I was your host whitey-mctaku. Thanks for reading about my japanimations.

corplinx

Re: The Weeb Report

Postby corplinx » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Attack on Titan chapter 80 is out (and unofficially translated).

Butters get asked to "Take one for the team"

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:57 pm

This is the week in a japanime season when shows that have legs stand out. You can usually identify them by how many downloads/seeds they have.

Macross has legs.
Joker has legs.
Kiznaiver has legs.
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri seems to have legs like stone columns.

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri is your basic "humanity under seige" but goes very non-japanese with super zombies (queue Attack on Titan comparisons).

And for people with Shonen guilty pleasure syndrome, there is Boku no Hero Academia.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:47 am

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress stands as the most "shared" anime episode of this season. An earthquake has interrupted production though. What isn't there to like about steampunk vs super zombies though?

Joker Game was picked up by fansub ubergroup Commie.

Commie is known for matching the style/look of original language when it appears in and also using position vs just having static subs on the bottom of the screen.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:54 am

The spring season is over. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and Kiznaiver (Trigger) had good staying power all season in the file sharing community.

Summer season is here. No surprise, but the new adaption of Berserk is a hot item. Instead of starting at the beginning it leaps ahead to something not already covered in a series and later in a really well produced OVA.

One-Punch Man is coming to America via dubs to Toonami.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8mH9ojJiM

The Bleach japanamanga has 4 issues left. Now hordes of losers will need to crawl out of their mom's basements and burn their waifu pillows since it and Naruto are forcing them to leave their manchild existence behind.

One-Punch Man and Tokyo Ghoul continue to dominate the NYT best seller list for manga.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:14 am

Tokyo Ghoul is surprisingly well done, but it is a bit derivative of Parasyte which I highly recommend.

For fans of Attack on Titan I recommend, highly, the satire "Attack! Junior High School" which was sort of made to cover the "space" between "Oh shit! People really like this anime!" and "Getting it done responsibly." They really did not expect how popular it would be and the quality animation takes a very long time. Very, very clever satire. Just look at the opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwmqlb8KY18

何?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is the other substitute anime for Attack on Titan. Same studio but not tied to a manga's pacing.

Same basic premise. "Humanity is fucked and will be eaten alive"

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:40 am

I will look for that. Contrary to impression, I do not watch a lot of anime. I have zero interest in Let's Put On Giant Robot Clothes! stories, long-winded fantasy like Bleach--boring after the first episode--and Our Target Audience is Pedophiles which pretty much removes 97% of anime.

I prefer horror since it usually has to involve actual plot and even, Heavens to Betsy, character development. I held off on Tokyo Ghoul figuring it would be a "become a ghoul, have life issues" story, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I will give this to AoT: the anime is not trying to "catch up" to the manga, nor did it try to conclude the story while the manga is still going on like the [Japanese--Ed.] Original Full Metal Alchemist and an odd series Gantz which fell apart RIGHT when they stopped following the manga. Though, the manga is AoT level length which sort of . . . just . . . ends . . . because . . . we need to end it. Another series that suffered that syndrome was Death Note--"okay, we need to end this so let's just make him an idiot suddenly and remove the nihilistic meaning of the [Japanese--Ed.] original."

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:03 am

Btw, there is a new Gantz manga.

Berserk still on hiatus.

/weeb report

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:54 am

I will look for that addition to Gantz. What I enjoyed was the acerbic commentary from "Gantz" every time a mission was completed along with chibi depictions of the members. That and the increasing moral ambiguity when you realize they are killing "aliens" who are not actually harming anyone. But:

It had its moments of EPIC FAIL. The sexual exploits of the main character made a Hustler letters section seem realistic. Yes, yes, YES, teens are hormone-saturated, and your readers live through the main character, but, come on! The SUPER HUGE ROBOT PEOPLE WEAPONS were stupid as were the way they "defeated" the aliens. Nevertheless, I give him credit for the moral ambiguity and even making "the Aliens" very humanoid so you may have some sympathy for them. I actually liked the whole sequence where he "kidnaps" a female alien, she tries to get him killed, and, in the end, she asks that he not "kill us." You also have to love fast-food restaurants that serve "human."

He loses points bitching about 'muricans when forgetting comfort women, Korea, and China.

He gained points with "the Point" being "no one cares about you humans, you die, and fuck you, but we don't like what these aliens are doing so, whatev's we made a girl retarded to send you some advice. Suck it!" but loses points with the "21 grams" stupidity--like, okay, you might have a soul and therefore . . . MEANING!

Oh and let us throw in Vampires who get taken in by Gantz even though that does not work with other people.

And ESP. Let's just throw that in. Because . . . well . . . I need a way to defeat the Aliens!

Overall, I still enjoyed it and "You don't have sex with your pet" is one of the funniest lines since Shion explained the necessity of driving nails into your finger-joints.

I digress.

If you liked Gantz I would recommend Parasyte. The movies are actually very good--though a bit truncated. It reunites two actors from Ichi the Killer perfectly cast.

Which . . . is interesting . . . since the movie from the I Make Tarantino Seem Clever director Miike did it during the release of a very small manga. The screen writer was the manga author. Yet the movie ending is . . . well . . . contradicts the manga ending that would come and subsequent very clever "prequels." I say that is "interesting" because perhaps the author did not know how to end it or did not want to reveal it before he drew it.

In the movie, it is all weird that "Ichi" probably kills Ishihara--That Guy with the Face--AND the Boy but we later see His Handler hang himself in a park with someone who looks like The Boy seeing him. What? Fuck it.

In reality, it is made clear that His Handler utterly controls his mind, works for a larger organization working to bring down yakuza who brain wash Worthless Slobs to do their bidding, and "Ichi" is just such a "slob." The manga ends with Ichi as a "salaryman" who has no recollection what happened to him. His Handler is very much alive and seeking fresh "volunteers" to use to take down gangs. "Ichi" leaves a restaurant and sees The Boy who is like what he was. He thinks he should know who he is, but cannot remember. The incident makes him start trying some of his kicks and movements he did as "Ichi the Killer." He does not know why. Anyways, he bumps into a yakuza member who threatens to beat him to death and the question we are left with is does he just get beaten up crying or does he instinctively revert and paint the alley with the yakuza's soft squishy bits.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:38 am

corplinx wrote:Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is the other substitute anime for Attack on Titan. Same studio but not tied to a manga's pacing.

Interesting. I watched it and while it is beautifully rendered it has a lot of flaws which I will not bore everyone who did not bother with other than to mention the supreme flaw is the utter lack of a reason anyone does what they do. They also do not make any attempt to explore the reality of the society unlike AoT.

I would compare it to GoT where one at least understands the motivation of various villains even if said motivation is creepy and disgusting. You can understand why various characters do what they do even though the choices are "bad" or even "stupid." Similarly, for AoT characters even if we do not quite know the reasons for every motivation. Heck, the creeptacular soul-crushing series I recommend if having to put down the Family Pet because you just felt too "upbeat" rewatching Schindler's List derives about 100% of its tragedy from the human flaws of the characters. As I have pontificated, if you put Macbeth in Hamlet you would have a thirty second play:

Ghost: Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder.

Macbeth: Exeunt. Enter Macbeth with sword drawn covered in blood And?

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress would be like a bank robbery film--say Sexy Beast--where the criminals get into the "bank" and then the Teddy Best shoots most of his gang and then sits in the bank saying, "I broke into a bank! A bank! I broke into it!" His remaining henchmen would cheer. A lot.

--J. "No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! NO! NO!" D.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:51 am

In fairness I expect anime not based on a manga/novel to find the characters as it goes.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:46 am

I get that, but for that one it never really did. Compare a few classics that started off as anime such as Cowboy Bebop. Characters in Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress do a lot of things that make no sense.

I did enjoy it, it is beautifully done.

You might onjoy Shinsekei Yori--"From a New World."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:55 am

I would also add that if you or anyone else is in the need of soul-crushing stripping away of all hope for humanity--or what Nyarl calls "Tuesday"--see the long adult-in-tone series Monster. Make sure you have the correct one. "Adult" as in there is no "light bits" or chibi moments rather than "boobs 'n tentacles" with with "buckets of blood."

Set in West Germany in the 80s--when you still had a West Germany--it starts with a young Japanese neurosurgeon who is having a celebrated career. He dates the daughter of Important Chairman--for once the Blond Buxom Aryan Anime-Babe is actually Aryan!--and everything goes well as he saves the life of Important Opera Singer.

Yet a family hates him. The survivors of a Turkish man who say he was brought into the hospital before Important Opera Singer. The doctor recalls being pulled from his surgery to be told that he needed to operate on the Important Opera Singer. This is done much more subtly than I am describing it. His fiance is quite frank at a restaurant as she slices her filet Mignon--"not all lives are equal." Her father takes all of the credit for saving the Opera Singer while colleagues congratulate the young man that this is all part of him paying his dues to climb up the ladder. His own father, a country doctor in Japan, cannot even afford to travel to Germany for the wedding. Fiance's father then tell the doctor he will be shutting down his research in order to prepare the manuscripts he will be presenting at an international conference. Doctor swallows this without protest.

In the background--it is one of those series--you keep hearing news reports. One of them involves an East German trade representative who defected with is wife and two young twin--fraternal--children.

One night--this is all in the first episode!--the police come to the home of the trade representative to find he and his wife shot dead, the son in critical condition with a gunshot wound to his head, and the daughter standing catatonic and mute.

Our Not-So-Humble--but Magnificent . . . certainly not MagNIfIcent [Get on with it!--Ed.]--Doctor comes to the rescue. He will save the boy! He briefly sees the catatonic but uninjured girl who seem to move her lips. He bends down to listen and hears, "kill him!"

Just before he starts Awesome Life-Saving Surgery on the boy he is stopped, again, and told he must, instead, operate on the mayor who just suffered an occlusive stroke--the medical portrayal is surprisingly good actually. He is told, by Fiance's Father, that mayor cannot die given he is supporting a large grant for the hospital. "We can count on you." The boy? Let the Bumbling Doctor deal with him!

Our Not-So-Humble-but-Magnificent Doctor rebels! He saves the boy!

The mayor, of course, dies. Everyone blames ONSHbM Doctor. He is stunned at the way colleagues start to shun him--except Bumbling Doctor who says they are now the same.

The girl wanders the corridors of the hospital, repeating "Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!"

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:39 am

Dudes. This series is beyond awesome. First really adult/mature anime I have seen where adult/mature does not equal tentacles, raping corpses, and hentai and all of that nonsense. This is the "cartoon" version of True Detective I.

Okay, without Woody getting to [CENSORED--Ed.] her with "extreme prejudice."

Whoah . . . scratch that, this series makes True Detective I look like "A Very Special Episode of Blossom." :shock:

--J.D.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:54 am

This season is almost done. Dragon Ball Super and other predictable mainstays are doing well. There was no breakout original show though.

The best of the new was a show called Drifters which melds historical stuff and alt-dimensions.

https://anilist.co/anime/21123/Drifters

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 am

Interesting.

Finally getting around to watching all of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex . . . yes . . . "welcome to 2004."

I hope the Red Sox do not have to play the MFYs again in the playoffs.

I avoided it up until now because I enjoyed the [Japanese.--Ed.] Original movie which greatly improved on the manga. Oddly enough, the manga is more like this series, though the series eventually tamps down on a lot of the author's self-indulgent wanderings. In the manga, Motoko is also a graphically, and usually censored in anything but the Japanese [!--Ed.] Original manga, lesbian . . . unless she wants go with men, which she does as well. The anime just decided to leave her a lesbian and not make a big deal out of it. They do a better job with it in that it is clearly implied and Batou will playfully tease her but not in a nasty way. The manga? It comes off as "Hey! Watch a Girl [CENSORED--Ed.] Motoko on a yacht! Is her tongue real or cybernetic? YOU DECIDE!"

The series also draws Motoko more "natural" like the [Japanese--Ed.] Original movies. The manga author/artist draws her consistently with "break the laws of physics" proportions beyond the normal "attract the shonen manga/anime." The series creators seem aware of this. The manga's Motoko pretty much wanders about in glorified underwear, if that. This series does that to a lesser extent--"hey, can we put a jacket on her?" but they make joke about her having to get changed. In one episode, after she is unceremoniously thrown into a pile of wet garbage and her team teases her about her look and smell--"There is no part of this that is funny."--she has to get changed and, in a meeting, Aramaki playfully asks her about her new clothes and if she is trying to attract his attention.

Back to the series, some very good episodes and nice literary references. Probably drives the Japanese crazy given I do not think they read Catcher in the Rye much. Far better than the manga. Nothing is as good as the first film, but they do a good job creating a series based on the manga.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell, look what came up on my YouTube recommendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfObrYW_SvU

Also saw the sequel to it a couple weeks ago on Netflix. I know it's pretty old. It's called Innocence in Japanese. I think it's just Ghost in the Shell 2 in English.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:47 pm

It is Innocence. I did like it when it came out, but it is not as good as the first film overall, though that is a tough act to follow.

As for the rest, I am sure it will be as good as the Aeon Flux film. . . .

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Do you guys have Kill La Kill on Netflix over there? Just watched the first episode of that. Seems okay.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”