The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Weeb Report

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 am

Have not seen it, too busy watching Kill La Kill, which has more subtext and double-entendre than you can shake a stick at.

Let me rephrase that.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:38 am

How dare you wear that slutty uniform! How depraved! How deviant! I will mold you! Mold you into a proper female high school student!!

Reflect on your wicked ways!!!! :x
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 am

"You perpetual frown caterpillar eyebrowed bitch!"

The series brings an entire new and disturbing dimension to Your Mom :shock:

--J. "Aww! If I was Ten Years Younger, I'd Wear You!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 am

Wow.

Just redid the "Fredo! I know it was you! You broke my heart! YOU BROKE MY HEART!" scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjUOBVAbGhQ

The Mom™ is done by a phenomenal voice-actress who really makes her fantastic evil in the "doing my best for you" sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Weaop_aiTg

--J. "I Don't Want Anything to Happen to Him . . . While My Mother's Alive!" D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:09 am

I'm up through about Ep. 14 myself. They aren't shy about using regional stereotypes. Those Osakans sure do love their money!
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:26 am

I kind of suspected. I imagine their accents are a joke as well. Figured I would not pester you will explanations.

Thanks for letting me know where you are so I can steal your tentacle hentai I do not spoil what is happening.

Fan Service: for those paying attention, this refers to showing racy scenes of characters and the like to "please" viewers. This series appears to satire that concept very nicely. See reference to the cosplay/uniforms above.

Another infamous series School Days based on a game of sorts, went full tragic doom/gloom to the extent they held the last episode after some girl killed a few people in school or something. The creators did OVAs--sort of "direct to video"--designed to be light-hearted and satirical. It "recast" the female characters as super heroes. When "activated" they descend these long chutes which causes them to fight to keep their skirts from riding up.

"Why do we have to do this?!" they scream.

"Fans want it," the disembodied voice of their female "boss" tells them.

They arrive in costumes that would barely cover anything--"Fans want it!"--only to find themselves standing on a mirror. As they scream jumping around to prevent reflections of their unmentionable bits--"Why do you have a mirrored floor?!"

"Fans want it."

I think I mentioned when Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex did a few "fan service" references.

Again, that is a comic/satire of their otherwise serious series. Kill La Kill appears to be playing up a lot of those themes.

Yes, I am avoiding work again. . . .

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:09 am

Wow.

Whatever it was the writers and animators ingested, it needs to be considered a weapon of mass-destruction.

--J. "You Have to Move On from Sailor Uniforms!" D.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:23 pm

The new season is a few weeks in. I'll do some analytics when I have time on what the hot shows are and which you shouldn't be ashamed for trying.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:54 pm

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:35 pm

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm up through episode 21 now. Just keeps getting weirder. :D
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:54 pm

The article I linked over at the Japanese Original Thread gives a great discussion on how the series plays with "fan service" as a commentary on modern anime.

I am not sure if you have made it by now to the obvious "Big Reveal" about the relationship between the two main characters so:

Spoiler:
I love how when Ryuko Matoi realizes Satsuki is her older sister she cannot actually call her "nee-san"--姉さん--and instead stutters "n-n-n-n-n-n-n" until told by her sister sarcastically not to injure herself.

Hey! Internet!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIF0df4vaE

For Those Not in the Know, traditionally, families use these titles--older brother is "older brother" forever as is "younger sister." Elder may call the younger by name but not usually the other way around. In another series, a pissed-off younger sister screams お姉さんの馬鹿--oneesan no baka--where the "o" is an extra-honorific so, literally, "stupid honorable older sister!"

Now that you are well acquainted with You Mom, do you keep hearing Hanji from AoT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbRzbrJUA4

--J. "You've Got that Crazy Look in Your Eyes!" D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Well the ending was super lame. Oh well.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Yeah . . . the problem is "where were they going to go?"

Could be worse . . . could have been Neon Genesis Evangeleon. . . .

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:02 am

Meanwhile, living in the '90s, Serial Experiments Lain.

Pro: Experimental, particularly with use of art as well as theme. Very well done from a production standpoint.

Con: Tries too hard to make no sense and succeeds in making little sense.

Instead, for fans of Tales of the Unexpected or Tales from the Crypt, or The Darkside or any other cheesy "Story of the Week" weird show:

Hell Girl

Better than that description. Those subjected to torment from another, surfing the 'net--I love how "Hell Girl" has an old Mackintosh which would have had a very hard time connection to this "internet thingy"--at midnight find a page which promises to end their torment if they enter the name of the one tormenting them.

That person will be dragged into hell.

The "catch" is the person asking for this will also go to hell, and a proper Asian hell of torment that would make the Inquisition blanch.

One interesting thing is the odd backstory. "Hell Girl"--whose name is Enma Ai--literally "judge of the dead/Yama Love" is alerted by her "Grandmother" whom you see only in shadow spinning that they have another. She has three side-kicks who torment the target. They ask the target if he admits his crimes/repents and when they do not, they turn to her stating, "you heard him," to which she recites a chant that the person's existence causes pain and suffering to humanity and she will take "this vengeance" to Hell.

The first few "recycle" that story save the people seeking help are nice people--including a little girl--who willingly accept an eternity of torture to remove an odious person. As the series progresses, we get more of the back story. For example, "Hell Girl" repeatedly refuses a request and has her minions investigate the reasons.

Entertaining diversion.

No pantsu or tentacles.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 am

WataMote--short for 私がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い!--Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! or No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!

From where I got:

A sort of shut-in game-addicted teen looks forward to entering high school, where she will become "popular" because she is so successful in her video games . . . which include some sexual suggestive ones where she dates and massages Hot Boys[Tm.--Ed.] until they [CENSORED--Ed.].

They do not show that, though I find it hilarious that said game characters shout it out in English: "I'm coming!"

Armed with such knowledge and experience, she enters high school assured she will be popular, have many boy friends, girls will kill themselves rather than fail to match her awesomeness.

She fails miserably.

Terminally shy, she cannot even speak to people. Anax will find the voice actress' mumbling amusing. In her mind, she thinks she knows what to do--and imagines it happening. Finding herself in a "WacDonalds" suddenly surrounded by classmates, her mind switches to a Pac-Manesque game as she plots her escape.

Like Kill La Kill the animation is stylized but changes more with the mood of the character and the situation. It certainly plays up all of the anime stereotypes--including the animation--with one of the more sinister versions of:

There a numerous references to other series such as Parasyte and Gantz. She lives in manga, anime, and games such that she "relaxes" to:

The words she is listening to is a boy asking, "Why are you crying? It is you who looked at another boy!"

Good light-hearted comedy so far. Still "PG-13" so far, so no, Anax, no tentacles. Image

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:18 am

. . . to which I will add I decided to try Deadman Wonderland based on horror recommendations. It opens with a Typical School Boy in School with Friend and Maybe a Girl Interested in One of Them Discussing Their "School Trip"--something Anax will tell you all about which made him don--or try to don--his old naval fatigues and explain to My His Brood that his favorite 'murican Show was Psycho Dad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GFq6usPg6U
--to a Place Called "Deadman Wonderland" Where You Watch Prisoners [Details not yet given.--Ed.] and an Armored Man in Red Descends Outside of the Classroom Window Slaughters Everyone Save Typical School Boy--Tossing at Him the Head of Maybe a Girl--and Everyone Blames Him and Frames Him for Murdering 20+ Children.

In other words . . . another day in Japanese high school.

Pretty intense.

--J.D.

P.S.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Doctor X wrote:WataMote--short for 私がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い!--Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dō Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! or No Matter How I Look at It, It’s You Guys' Fault I’m Not Popular!

Looks interesting. I checked, but unfortunately it isn't on Netflix in Japan at least, and region-restricted for Japan on Crunchyroll. It appears to be on Hulu which I haven't signed up for, although I might in the future. (although I'm not 100% sure if it would be in Japan because it varies by country)

Anyway, I leave to visit my family in California today, so I'll probably be less active on here for the next couple weeks.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 pm

Good times for a visit, the weather is perfect.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am

Indeed, weather reports 50% chance of smog.

Try the veal.

--J.D.

P.S. It is very well done comedy from a female perspective. I particularly like her "internal monologue" as she reacts to other students talking to one another and even just hanging out. Cannot do justice to it. Though there is one bit when she is looking in the mirror and her mind rapidly wanders to, "so my breasts aren't big there are boys who are into that I should be really popular and attractive to them I think they're called 'pedos.'"

P.P.S The other--Deadman Wonderland is not bad. There is a controversy in that some of the dialogue was censored in Japan. Okay . . . okay . . . I am aware of "pixelization" of "naughty bits"--and given that anime tends to be inhabited by 14-16 year olds--I am more than happy! Some anime has "fun" with it as in the two scenes I posted from Evangelion. Though the Japanese do not seem to mind breasts at any age.

No, this was dialogue. Now, the characters swear. This happens all over. One anime which is so-so had one woman confronted by the Evil Elegant Woman [of Doom.--Ed.] ask her, that since she had been waiting so long for her to arrive, "did you have to go behind a tree and take an elegant dump?"

No censorship.

Given the context, it appears you cannot call women the equivalent of "the C word" in Japanese in anime. They are called "bitch," "whore," one of my favorites "municipal bicycle/public rest room," to worse. Heck, Gasai Yuno calls every other woman a "bitch" in Mirai Nikki

From context, it appears that is exactly what is happening: various prisoners refer to a female warden as "******"

P.P.P.S. It appears they censor the actual words for the genitals. A guy describes another guy who is strong as all of that with, "they say even his p**** is ripped!" Clearly, the translators got the clear "o-chiBLEEP" as "ochinchin"--おちんちん--heh! Firefox does not want to give the kanji for that! 御珍々. Ask Anax's Mom about 御珍々.

Funny thing censorship.

P.P.P.P.S. That must be it because a yandere character who would make Gasai Yuno mutter, "Bitch! Be cool!" screams at a victim that his horrified face makes her [CENSORED--Ed.] without . . . hey . . . what? [Decorum.--Ed.]
Last edited by Doctor X on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”