The Weeb Report

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Weeb Report

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:03 am

corplinx wrote:Berserk is Back!!! FUCK YEAH.

Yes! It is 2016 and if the Red Sox can sweep the lowly In'juns, I think they can extend the Cubbies Century of FAIL for another year! :hyper:

The Pats? I am not sure they can recover from losing Brady for four games :( A lost season for a QB in his Twilight Years.

Anyways, the anime introduces that very person! Must say it is a fantastic arc:

Give me that Ol' Time Religion!
It's good enough for me!

It was good enough for Garglplatz!
Then it's good enough for me!

--J.D.

P.S.
In the [Japanese Original--Ed.] anime/manga I thought she was an irritating trope. Some how, a girl who weighs about 90 lbs dripping wet is THE GREATEST SWORDSWOMAN INVINCIBLE and all of that . . . blah . . . blah. Seemed too obvious.

Then that anime and the recapitulation OVAs ended.

Now the 2016 season . . . I have to think, damn, sorry Casca, really . . . sorry . . . I mean . . . fuck.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:27 am

The manga took the old old idea of the love triangle and made it work better than yet another harem manga.

Guts wants Casca
Casca wants Griffith
Griffith wants Guts.

Guts can't even think about Griffith wanting him that way because of his PTSD. If Griffith splashes water on him, it is completely asexual to Guts. What he knows of homosexuality doesn't involve flirting or play. So he won't think of even the idea of it unless it is triggered by something more violent than a bath.

What makes this interesting post golden age is that Guts is a man-child and not in the StarWars and toys kind of way. Stunted emotionally. He is basically a 15 year old in a grown ups' body. He is straight but extremely awkward. He's a testosterone filled teenager with no tact, little intellect, and PTSD.

So his treatment of Casca fits perfectly with those things. It's painful to watch or read and it is supposed to be. He's a broken thing because of his past and she's a broken thing because of the Golden Age.

What I wonder is, what happens if Casca gets fixed?

Berserk is not a happy tale.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:16 am

corplinx wrote:The manga took the old old idea of the love triangle and made it work better than yet another harem manga.

Guts wants Casca
Casca wants Griffith
Griffith wants Guts.
I utterly agree with that. Nice set up. What is clearer, I think, in the manga since it could take "more time" than the anime, is how jealous Griffith becomes of Guts. So when Guts finally beats him he does something completely stupid but understandable since he feels emasculated. The result after a year is he is basically emasculated but when he is rescued he constantly stares at Guts and Casca in literal impotent silence. Incidentally, I spewed some coffee in the manga after Guts and Casca finally Dance the Light Fantastic, she jumps on her horse, winces, then "near-chibi" stares at him thinking "You're lucky!"

Anyways, thus probably one of the most pathetic scenes in both the manga and animes where he tries to take Casca. For years, he just has to raise his eyebrows and Casca would have dropped her chain mail panties and asked him how he likes his eggs in the morning. This, utterly broken, is even more sad than when he tried to strangle Guts. Her hugging him is like the final insult.

Thus, of course, what he does to her later. He does it to prove his own virility and to punish Guts. He does not give a shit about Casca other than I would give a shit about some trash you stole BECAUSE IT'S MINE!!!

What I like is he is the Pretty Boy Hero who becomes what he really is: a selfish child villain, but it gives some explanation for it.
Guts can't even think about Griffith wanting him that way because of his PTSD. If Griffith splashes water on him, it is completely asexual to Guts.
I would agree with all of that too. In the manga he is more explicit--they show it more in the 2012 Revamp--where as part of their duel if he loses he sarcastically states he would even be Griffith's boy. Griffith, I think, struggles with it. Or he may be bi, but we never see him take sexual advantage of anyone until he goes after the princess. Being So Beloved by Casca and Men and Boys [Available for download from a site in Russia.--Ed.], you would think he might had "done it" with one of them, BUT I think, like Guts, he was fixated on a goal. The princess, of course, becomes part of that. When Guts leaves him, he lashes out like a teenager.

Blah . . . blah . . . blah . . . I think it is clear he loves Guts, now hates him as a scorned lover, and what he did to Casca was simply to punish Guts. Even his feeble attempt I mention earlier was more of a case, I think, of him trying to take Guts' "toy" when it had been his. He never cared for Casca. Now he does care because Guts does. As to whether or not Griffith knows he loves Guts, I think he dispenses it knowing he has to "marry the princess" to get in line for the throne. In his mind, I think, he probably thinks that will happen, he will sire "An Heir and a Spare," then spend all of his time in battle with Guts . . . splashing water on him . . . while he is naked . . . crossing swords . . . but not gay.
What he knows of homosexuality doesn't involve flirting or play. So he won't think of even the idea of it unless it is triggered by something more violent than a bath.
And he clearly hated it. He is also clearly clueless on love--not a priority. The 2012 delves into it--and since you read the manga you probably know--that both he and Casca were virgins and they sort of "work it out." Then they try again. It is actually kind of nice.
What makes this interesting post golden age is that Guts is a man-child and not in the StarWars and toys kind of way. Stunted emotionally. He is basically a 15 year old in a grown ups' body. He is straight but extremely awkward. He's a testosterone filled teenager with no tact, little intellect, and PTSD.
Again I completely agree. Like you wrote about the "harem set-up/love triangle" Guts--what a name--is set up like the Wandering God Hero Man we see in too many stories. His sword is so big Inuyasha figures he has "issues." Then it shows how he became that and how he went from a normal boy looking for a father figure, getting literally fucked, then trying to avoid all human attachment. I think the early scenes where he visions the dead . . . What's His Name Father Figure . . . he is trying to convince himself that *Google* Gambino actually cared for him. Gambino never did. Ever. Guts does not want to accept it, just as he tried not to believe Gambino literally rented out his ass.

Which makes me think, having written that, one of the true "tragedies" he faces is Julius did love his son. He was being "tough" on him as Guts imagined Gambino was "just being tough" on him. But that was not the case.
So his treatment of Casca fits perfectly with those things. It's painful to watch or read and it is supposed to be. He's a broken thing because of his past and she's a broken thing because of the Golden Age.
It is a good example of being "too late." Casca finally realizes she has been running from her own sexuality--nearly being raped as a very young teen might do that--by fixating on Griffith who clearly does not want her. But it is an idea. A "Notice Me Sempai!" in a way. Hence yet another reason for her to hate Guts because Griffith "wants" him for many reasons. He even values Guts as a fighter over her.

Then . . . just as Guts starts to value other people as people, then starts to value and admire Casca, she does the same.

But it is too late.
What I wonder is, what happens if Casca gets fixed?
Who knows! "This will not end happily," as JG.R.R. Martin quipped. But he is a Jets fan so he is use to ball crushing disappointment. Did I mention a Super Bowl yet?

But . . . yeah . . . I think we see how it will not work when Griffith has a vision of a "future" where Casca is his wife, he has a son--named Guts! . . . well . . . at least his torturer was not Ramsey Bolton!--but he is still an invalid whom Casca has to feed and look after.
It's not for you, Uther! Hearth and home. Mother and child.

Merlin, Excalibur
So, no, I do not see Guts and Casca "settling down."

Oddly enough, the Irritating Fluffy Haired Nina and Wet Pants Joachim probably provided the best answer at the end of the 2016 season. They are both weak. They do care, but they are weak. Maybe they can lean on one another and survive. As fatuous as Nina is she recognizes something Griffith never could: she knows if she stays with her friends she will become jealous of them and become the duplicitous bitch she has been. She has to leave.
Berserk is not a happy tale.
It did warm my Atheist heart. Incidentally, I very much liked what they did with what SHOULD have been a Stereotype Character Farnessesfernessederkurt. What a nice collection of personality disorders. Fundamentalist, sado-masochist, "daddy issues," all of it. Very nicely done. Even Guts is taken aback over her self-flagellation.

To a point:

To which, after composing most of this, I watched the second episode of 2017 and saw the back-story of Lady Farnessesferngullyderkunesseness and Her Boy Toy.

Damn.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendation.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm

For anyone who attempts to read the Manga, there should be a bold italicized 48 point Netscape only Blink tag that says "the first issue of the Manga is almost what a fanfic written after the fact would be, teenage boy fantasy, ignore it and move on"

There is nothing more out of character than the first issue.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I think it was intentional. It starts as the Wandering Hero God Who Does Not Speak but with a Gruff [Get on with it!--Ed.] Kills Everyone. So you are correct: it looks like the opening of Cerebus minus the satire . . . and latent misogyny. Same all the way to the Band of Hawks. Everyone is a trope. Back in the 80s-90s, long-haired feminine boys were "a thing" in manga/anime. Plucky kids who are somehow bad-ass. Blah blah.

Then it gets into why they are all so fucked up. All of the characters are fascades . . . façades . . . fake. Looking at Guts when we see him "now" as the same character from the beginning, he is very different.

So yeah.

--J.D.

P.S. I loved how Luca kept cheerfully calling Big Ass Skull Helmet Dealer of All That Hurts "Death God"--死神.

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:14 am

We're a bit overdue for WW3 according to Akira.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:03 am

Yeeeeaahhh . . . and Ghost in the Shell as well. Cowboy Bebop is still possible if you just do not notice the Moon.

Though one of my favorite spoofs on that is the "President from 1980" in Amazon Women on the Moon:

[youtube][/youtube]

at 0:10.

Akira is probably one of the best over-rated films/anime and, yes, manga ever made. Fantastic animation before computers made it all easy. One of the reasons I enjoyed the Japanese Original Berserk for the animation. It is a cartoon. I know I am watching a cartoon. I do not mind if it looks drawn.

But the plot Image

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 am

Incidentally,

Knew I liked her!

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am

Saw a new anime movie on Netflix the other day. Called Blame!

Not bad. Probably not exactly untrod territory, but it's not a huge investment in time. Humans trying to survive in a post-apocalypse where machines have taken over. Lots of cliches, but visually interesting I guess. I might give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6574146/

[youtube][/youtube]

Kinda reminds me of a spaghetti Western movie trope actually.
Where a mysterious hero rides into town one day and saves the town and then rides off into the sunset at the end. Without the sunset, but metaphorically that.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 24, 2017 3:30 am

Tentacles?

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue May 30, 2017 5:43 am

Switching to hand drawn (or digital hand drawn as it these days) for a final shot is a nice effect.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 30, 2017 6:40 am

[youtube][/youtube]

I do not totally agree with butt-hurt fans upset with the 3-D imaging and the like in the 2016 series. It follows the manga pretty well, so be happy. Otherwise, return to the 90s and wonder what happened.

Apparently, due to complaints/butt-hurt from 2016, the 2017 production is using more traditional 2-D--like the still you posted. So points for listening to fans.

Either way, it is the story and characters which makes it a good series.

Okay . . . and boobs.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue May 30, 2017 6:07 pm

At first the 3d was odd, but now the unsettling effect I think works for it. They seem to switch between mechanical movements to more fluid ones on purpose.

if a character can't comprehend what they see, there will be a rotation shot of their head/body moving robotically.

it's better than overdone anime touches like nose bubbles and forehead sweats.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 pm

On a recommendation I saw Shiki. Starts a generic "vampire" anime--it is considered one of the best if you do not want to watch Huge Wandering Crabacular Creature Things with British Accents from the Blood series.

Cons:
  • 1. Seems not to be sure what it wants to be.
    2. Fucking looks like you are in Higurashi. Hinamizawa is based on a real place for realistic shots in the [Japanese--Ed.] Original Sound Novels which then got extended for the anime. This looks so similar you expect
    Image to show up. They even have a "Vampire Rika" but, sadly, no "Vampire Hanyū.
Pro:
  • 1. It handles the various arising moral ambiguities very nicely. This includes experimenting on/torturing "vampires" to figure out how to kill them while kidnapping children to use as easy prey for new "Risen." One guy--before dispatching a vampire--turns to another and quips, "Don't tell anyone, but I never liked this guy!"
    2. ANYONE can--and will--die. Sometimes not Epic Spectacular as in Main Characters having long soliloquies and otherwise heroic ends.
    3. Sympathy for no one: the humans are as vain, selfish, prejudiced, and all of that as any. The ones that become vampires retain that.
A 3-4 out of 5 on the Anax Scale[Tm.--Ed.]. It gets better and some nice side episodes which explain events from another perspective are nicely done.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Recently saw a new Netflix movie called Okja.
http://imdb.com/title/tt3967856/
It's not anime but it sort of has an anime vibe to it.
Korean director, about half of the dialog is Korean too.

It's sort of a mishmash of elements from different movies. It's a bit of Babe, a bit of Tottoro, some Jason Bourne scenes and some dystopian future stuff (Soylent Green maybe, although I have to confess that I never saw Soylent Green).

And there's some animal rights propaganda and anti-GMO propaganda thrown in. On the plus side there's some nice looking country scenes.

It's definately far from perfect but I'd say if you have Netflix you should probably check it out. Comes in at just about 2 hours. Oh, and they have one of those throwaway scenes that comes after the closing credits but it's hardly worth waiting for.

Maybe 3 out of five.
William Shakespeare

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 pm

3 of 5 is about where i quit watching it on a flight

It's a decent enough movie but when I had to shut it down for a flight ending, I never returned to it.

It's a formula I am used to. It was benign and very watchable. Just didn't have time.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:57 am

Jigoku Shōjo--地獄少女--returns with beautiful full HD animation to ferry your grudges into damnation!

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 am

It is 2007 . . . the Patriots are fucking UNSTOPPABLE but I am not so sure about the Red Sox. Do they have the pitching to, say, beat a resurgent Cleveland? Oh well . . . a World Series in 2004 makes up for it given the Patriots will just walk into a FOURTH SUPER BOWL WIN!!111!!

シグルイ--Shigerui--is based on a fantastic manga which is, in turn, based on old stories/novels. As an anime it tells the complicated story of two rivals in a sword school. To make it simple:

Pros:
  • 1. Adult: utterly. No "lolis." No "chibis." Absolutely zero "comic relief."
    2. History: based in history revolving a "bad son" of the Tokugawa clan--see Shōgun--who, with the power of his name and position, started indulging in his lethal vices until, finally, someone took notice. Very accurate in this respect. All the way down to the method of "punishment."
    3. Characters: no "good guys" and the "bad guys" have a reason for what they do. Everyone is "bad" in a way in that they look towards themselves for disastrous results. The "good guy" makes some very Japanese decisions which makes him appear "the bad guy." To explain, with a bit of a T3h Sp01l4g3z but does not ruin the series:
    Spoiler:
    He is usurped by a rival to be "the Heir" to the school. Crazy teacher then demands, publicly, that said rival have sex with his daughter, his only child. He--"good guy"--join in holding her down even though he knows it is "wrong." Rival is "bad guy," but even he refuses and insists on a marriage ceremony and all of that for the daughter's honor. So "the bad guy" behaves "good" while the "good guy" simply follows along because demented "Sensei said!" which would have been the public rape of a girl. Something said girl does not fail to notice.

There are other examples of "unquestioned loyalty" yielding ghastly results. From the manga comes the quote I posted about how feudalism involves a few sadists and many, many masochists.
    4. Production: very well done. Follows the manga and adds to it/tweeks it appropriately without changing it. Visually fantastic. Great music.
Cons:
  • 1. None.
    2. Zero.
    3. Your Mom.
Adult so blood, doom, and the like within reason. Some called it "graphic" but compared to modern fare--"can you BELIEVE Matt Ryan dropped back to PASS?!!"--it is appropriate. This is NOT usual "tween anime" but it is also not "lets put in violence and sex because THAT means 'adult!'" Very good story. There is a reason to sympathize even with "the Bad Guys" just as there is a reason to judge the "Good Guys."

Sorry, Anax, no tentacles. Image So only 4 out of 5 on the Anax Scale.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:18 pm

I started watching Psycho-Pass on Netflix.

No English subtitles unfortunately. That's one of the disadvantages of life in Japan. Maybe over there you can find a version with subtitles. But it looks very good after the first episode.

For me, it's a bit frustrating because I just can't understand it like a native speaker could. Enough to get the general feeling but I know there's a lot I'm missing.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 am

You know . . . you can get it subtitled . . . without, perhaps, a visit from 警察官:

Have not watched it because sort of mixed reviews particularly with regards to the second season. Instead, I got hooked on one I did not recommend--"Assassination Classroom"--since it plays on a lot of "in-jokes" and tropes like "traps" and "Noble Sensei" and all of that. For example, a Anime Level Buxom is Serbian with a name that ends in "vich" which no one can pronounce so, to her irritation, they just call her "Bich Sensei"--this despite her linguistic lessons and attempts to teach "v" to the Japanese. The anime happily explains that, yes, "bich" is the way Japanese say "Bitch" with a hyper-formal dictionary definition of "Bitch."

With the "trap," who does not act like a trap other than hair, body shape, and female voice actress, in a swimming scene all of the girls pause, "oh, you're not a girl? Huh."

I find it funny with easier Japanese to listen to . . . more or less. I would not recommend it, though, unless one likes such self-referential humor including the "Gendo-esque" principle with Asshole Son whose office is so large and empty it is bigger than the damn school.

They do due some nice take-offs on English in anime including an American "super hero/action hero" movie with stupid plot twists.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!