It's finally actually starting (Dark Tower film)

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
gnome

It's finally actually starting (Dark Tower film)

Post by gnome » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:03 pm

http://movieweb.com/dark-tower-movie-pr ... phen-king/

They have actually started shooting. I wasn't sure it was going to get this far.

Two things I hope for:

- That they will keep references to other King works. It would be tempting to leave them out, and maybe for the sake of new audiences they don't want to focus on that (I think even King has said that he would remove some of the self-referential material in the later sections if he were writing it over), but at least tease them.

- That they can get some of the music referenced in the books. I would absolutely love to see a trailer for "The Wastelands" consisting of ZZ Top's Velcro Fly overlaying action scenes from Lud, with a Gasher voice over, and ending the trailer with a foggy image of eye-like headlights... or a montage in "Wolves of the Calla" featuring Callahan's back story set to Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life" -- stuff like that.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

no one in particular

Re: It's finally actually starting (Dark Tower film)

Post by no one in particular » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:30 pm

]I'm generally optimistic, but I have no confidence in this project at alll. I'm just afraid it's going to be completely different.

Put it this way:
If Jake lives, we riot.
Killing me with humorous lines will not Clark Kent the egg salad. ~Skeptoid

It seems that our RIVER has run dry.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:36 pm

Spoiler: the last film will be very silly

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:50 pm

If they remain slavishly devoted to the book, yes.

I hope they take the GoT approach--use the source material generously--keep the same narrative of which places the group winds up and why, have the mood of the settings faithful to the original. Beyond that the details are flexible... and they should be when moving from print to visual media.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:28 pm

So now there's been a trailer and a release date coming soon.

[youtube][/youtube]

What I can't tell is if they're planning on reaching the end in a single movie (which would be disappointing) or if they're setting up for a series (which would allow for introducing conspicuously absent elements later).
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:47 pm

From what I understand, it is not going to resemble the books very much at all, other than having a Gunslinger named Roland on a quest for the Dark Tower. I want to see it, but I don't expect it to be all that much like the books.

One thing it will have is the references to other King Works. Some people have said it will be the starting point of a "Stephen King Expanded Universe". Ugh. Because that's just what Hollywood needs, another expanded Universe. And I say that as someone that LIKES King.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 pm

no one in particular wrote:]I'm generally optimistic, but I have no confidence in this project at alll. I'm just afraid it's going to be completely different.

Put it this way:
If Jake lives, we riot.
Spoiler:
Also, we don't

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
no one in particular wrote:]I'm generally optimistic, but I have no confidence in this project at alll. I'm just afraid it's going to be completely different.

Put it this way:
If Jake lives, we riot.
Spoiler:
Also, we don't
There are many worlds...

But on this one I know spoilers.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Do the Red Sox ever win a World Series?

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Doctor X wrote:Do the Red Sox ever win a World Series?

What?

--J.D.
Depends on which beam you are following.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:28 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:From what I understand, it is not going to resemble the books very much at all, other than having a Gunslinger named Roland on a quest for the Dark Tower. I want to see it, but I don't expect it to be all that much like the books.

One thing it will have is the references to other King Works. Some people have said it will be the starting point of a "Stephen King Expanded Universe". Ugh. Because that's just what Hollywood needs, another expanded Universe. And I say that as someone that LIKES King.
I'm not so sure it's going to be so different. Jake's story definitely has familiar elements from the book. It could be a "broad strokes" version, where the same characters gather under approximately the same circumstances, and major events from the series are touched on in some way. Even with rewrites and plot changes, there could still be in future movies
Spoiler:
a drawing of the Ka-tet; a visit to Lud, a flashback to Mejis; a mission of protection in Calla Bryn Sturgis, an epic battle at Algul Siento --that sort of thing.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 am

gnome wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:From what I understand, it is not going to resemble the books very much at all, other than having a Gunslinger named Roland on a quest for the Dark Tower. I want to see it, but I don't expect it to be all that much like the books.

I'm not so sure it's going to be so different. Jake's story definitely has familiar elements from the book. It could be a "broad strokes" version, where the same characters gather under approximately the same circumstances, and major events from the series are touched on in some way. Even with rewrites and plot changes, there could still be in future movies
Spoiler:
a drawing of the Ka-tet; a visit to Lud, a flashback to Mejis; a mission of protection in Calla Bryn Sturgis, an epic battle at Algul Siento --that sort of thing.
Well, just by looking at the IMDB page
Spoiler:
I don't see the charcters of Eddie or Oddette/Detta/Susannah at all. So there is no drawing of the Ka-Tet in this film
Now granted, it could be in the next movie and this is only the first book, but the trailer doesn't exactly look like the first book either.
Spoiler:
I don't see anything that looks like the station for instance
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:37 am

I wanted this guy as Eldred Jonas, but it's way too late. It was too late before the book was written.

[youtube][/youtube]
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:40 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
gnome wrote:

Spoiler:
Well, just by looking at the IMDB page
Spoiler:
I don't see the charcters of Eddie or Oddette/Detta/Susannah at all. So there is no drawing of the Ka-Tet in this film
Now granted, it could be in the next movie and this is only the first book, but the trailer doesn't exactly look like the first book either.
Spoiler:
I don't see anything that looks like the station for instance
I'm sort of guessing they're blending Jake's arrival in "Waste Lands" with his meeting at the way station. Leaving out the complicated paradox mess. Then maybe second movie is Eddie and Susannah's turn.
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 am

Maybe, but I still rememember reading somewhere this was a 'reimaginingg' of the series. So I don't hold out a lot of hope of it being much like the books.

Now, I still want to see it, and I hope it will be a good movie in its own right. But I still think its going to be its own movie

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:24 pm

I like the trailer. I did read some of the earlier books in this series. I think I read up through Wizard and Glass. The first book was 1982? Was it really that long ago? Wow. I used to read almost everything King wrote but not so much since 2000. Anyway, I'm not sure they necessarily should try to follow the books too closely.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I like the trailer. I did read some of the earlier books in this series. I think I read up through Wizard and Glass. The first book was 1982? Was it really that long ago? Wow. I used to read almost everything King wrote but not so much since 2000. Anyway, I'm not sure they necessarily should try to follow the books too closely.
For the most part, I gave up on King after The Tommyknockers very little he wrote after that interested me. The Dark Tower books were an exception to that, as is Doctor Sleep but the latter mostly because its a sequel to The Shining

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:59 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 am

Sequelboots often reprise elements of the story though, like Khan in Trek's "Into Darkness"...
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:31 am

So, let's talk us some Dark Tower, shall we.

For one thing, It had little to do with the books. I saw snippets of the book here and there, often in different contexts in the movie than originally. But I would say the movie was 90% new material. More than 90, probably. Ok, I can live with that, given what I know of the books and the fact that this is more a sequel than an adaptation.

Overall, the biggest problem was that it just felt so small and constrained compared to the sweeping story arc in the books. It really felt like they were trying to shove too much into too little space and time and it ended up having a rushed feel. You never spent enough time with any character or place to give half a fuck.

And the Man in Black. Jebus Henry Christ did they fuck him up but good. No subtlety, just MUAHAHAHAHAHA Evil. The only thing he lacked was a mustache to twirl while performing his evil plans for the sake of evil. And he left no piece of scenery unchewed.
Roland himself was okay, but they changed him to your standard reluctant hero. He was probably the only thing that saved the movie.

I'd give it 2 out of 5.