Suicide Squad: another example of shill ratings

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Suicide Squad: another example of shill ratings

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:57 pm

Haven't seen it. Will probably never see it. But the ratings are bullshit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/

>16000 people have rated it and it doesn't even come out until tomorrow. I find that highly dubious.

The critics panned it terribly. I suppose they got an advanced viewing. This created a backlash ...
‘Suicide Squad’ Fans Petition To Shut Down Rotten Tomatoes Over Negative Reviews
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/suici ... 201829631/

While I agree that RT is a bad metric for a movie's value, that is just silly.

So, looking at the IMDB demographic voting for this movie (click the number of votes to see),...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386697/rat ... _=tt_ov_rt
How did that many people see a movie that isn't even out yet?
You can also click on any demographic age group to drill down to the weeds. Obvious shilling.

Luckily, most movies don't attract this kind of bullshit.

That said, I generally like Will Smith, but forcing his kid down the throats of movie goers isn't going to win either of them an fans.

Nyarlathotep

Re: Suicide Squad: another example of shill ratings

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I am looking forward to the movie and will definitely see it (I LOVE the comic). And agree that petitioning to have Rotten TOmatoes shut down because critics are giving it a bad review is stupid as fuck. The critics might be wrong, they might be right. But one can't know that until one sees the movie, so having a freakout over the bad reviews is stupid. There is literally nothing to be gained by that.

I do find the idea behind Rotten Tomatoes a bit useless though. I don't really care if critics in general liked a movie, I care whether I will like a movie and my tastes are probably not those of an average of critics. What I find more useful is to find a critic or friend whose tastes generally match my own, and go by their recommendation if I am going to listen to any critic at all.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:49 pm

Supposedly whoever started the petition did it as a joke. I don't know what percentage of the people who signed it thought it was a joke though.

Why don't they just disable ratings before the movie comes out?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Supposedly whoever started the petition did it as a joke. I don't know what percentage of the people who signed it thought it was a joke though.

Why don't they just disable ratings before the movie comes out?
Everything on the internet is serious business and can't be turned off.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Some article reminded me of this thread. Scorsese is pissed because RT and others don't like his work before they see it. Understandable.
Scorsese also took the moment to call out aggregator websites Rotten Tomatoes and CinemaScore, saying, “The horrible idea they reinforce [is] that every picture, every image is there to be instantly judged and dismissed without giving audiences time to see it. Time to see it, maybe ruminate and maybe make a decision for themselves. So the great 20th-century art form, the American art form, is reduced to content.
http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/30/martin- ... -tomatoes/

Dude, it's all content.

As a historical note, the OP was about Suicide Squad. Still haven't seen it but of 500K voters on IMDB, it's a solid 6.1/10. RT still puts it at 27%.

I want this fixed. Get started now. I'll assign this task to ed. Put together a working group, drop a budget, give me a progress report NLT Monday, 5/7/18.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue May 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Budget is $547,435.78.

First meeting is at the Cheeka Lodge on Islamorada. Sailfishing follows immediately.
- new minimalist ethos -