Winter is coming

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Winter is coming

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:17 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Re: Winter is coming

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Can't wait
All Hail The Crimson King

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Being so far ahead of the books I'm concerned the quality will drop off at an exponential rate.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 pm

Grammatron wrote:Being so far ahead of the books I'm concerned the quality will drop off at an exponential rate.

Yeah, but as we draw closer to the end of the series, we oe closer to the end of another distraction for George R.R. Martin and closer to him, ya know, finishing his damned book

Write like the wind, George...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:56 pm

GRRM will not finish the books, IMHO

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Grammatron wrote:GRRM will not finish the books, IMHO

Given that he isn't a young man and takes forever for each one, I don't disagree

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:GRRM will not finish the books, IMHO

Given that he isn't a young man and takes forever for each one, I don't disagree

Wouldn't u order a pizza from him?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 am

I just did.

It will be here soon.

What toppings does he want?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 am

I feel . . . sullied.

--J. "Foreign Invasion" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:20 am

Doctor X wrote:I feel . . . sullied.

--J. "Foreign Invasion" D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 am

She can mount my pyramid anytime . . . heyooo!

Bron needs his "Bad Pussy."

Funny, I have read/heard that the Sand Snakes are not popular amongst fans. I actually think the trio do a good job. They are evil. Just like guys that everyone loves in the series. However, their interplay is hilarious.

Having two of them killed was satisfying like watching Joffrey and Ramsey "bite the dust." Or maybe more like Danny's Bro getting "crowned."

--J. "Mumma!" D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 pm

Spoiler:
It was hard to tell in the dark... was Bron's favorite the one that was captured or one of the two that died?

Other random comments:
- I think Theon has a plan, and faked weakness because he knew rushing at his uncle was pointless.
- With the younger Greyjoy fleet ruined, there is no sea blockade of King's Landing. Did we see Lord Tully at Bravos? Better hope he made friends there.
- Tarly's choice of whom to support now has much higher stakes. Presably those ships carried Dhorn forces that now will not arrive. The Tullys can't hold off the Lannisters alone.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:37 pm

gnome wrote:It was hard to tell in the dark... was Bron's favorite the one that was captured or one of the two that died?

Rewatching, the Girl Hung is the girl with the whip, and the Girl Impaled is the oldest with the spear. Both Bron's Favorite and Vorenus's Wife Niobe Mumma are stopped in the hold. "What Happens to Them" is anyone's guess, but there is the assumption that Niobe Mumma will be "the Gift" Euron Greyjoy promised to Cersi. We do not see what has happened to Bron's Favorite, but I imagine given that rape is a "thing" the Iron Born are proud of, it shall not be pleasant.

Other random comments:
- I think Theon has a plan, and faked weakness because he knew rushing at his uncle was pointless.

Perhaps. However, he seemed to revert to his "Meek" twitching. Whatever his "plan" is, he is now in the water.
- With the younger Greyjoy fleet ruined, there is no sea blockade of King's Landing. Did we see Lord Tully at Bravos? Better hope he made friends there.

Worse, there is no attack on Casterley Rock. Perhaps Yora Greyjoy only used a portion of her fleet. If not, Euron just destroyed one of their major plans. I would assume that she was not traveling with the whole fleet since there would have been Unsullied, Dothraki, and, of course, a dragon or two. Apparently, Yora never heard about defense. Being a raider without an effective navy to stop raiders, she seems to have left her guard down.

Bravos? I do not think we saw Bravos this episode. What happened to Brutus Tully is not known. Walder Frey triumphantly declared he was "back in prison" to Jamie. "Fans" have sort of assumed that Arya somehow released him, but we have not seen that and, frankly, how would she and why would she?

- Tarly's choice of whom to support now has much higher stakes. Presably those ships carried Dhorn forces that now will not arrive. The Tullys can't hold off the Lannisters alone.

Herod Agrippa Tarly is, currently, supporting the Lannisters and Cersi as far as we know. Hence the meeting between him and Jamie.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Spoiler:
Doctor X wrote:

Worse, there is no attack on Casterley Rock. Perhaps Yora Greyjoy only used a portion of her fleet. If not, Euron just destroyed one of their major plans. I would assume that she was not traveling with the whole fleet since there would have been Unsullied, Dothraki, and, of course, a dragon or two. Apparently, Yora never heard about defense. Being a raider without an effective navy to stop raiders, she seems to have left her guard down.

I agree, I think part of her fleet is going to Casterley Rock--wouldn't that still be intact, as far as we know?

Doctor X wrote:Bravos? I do not think we saw Bravos this episode. What happened to Brutus Tully is not known. Walder Frey triumphantly declared he was "back in prison" to Jamie. "Fans" have sort of assumed that Arya somehow released him, but we have not seen that and, frankly, how would she and why would she?

I'm being a doofus, I meant Lord Tyrell. While Arya was in Bravos, I thought she spotted him. I'm just thinking if he made some allies there they may be able to get some *ahem* privateers to take the place of Yara's fleet to King's Landing. If I heard right, that is really the only Westeros area that wasn't spoken for when they were reviewing who was on whom's side.

Doctor X wrote:Herod Agrippa Tarly is, currently, supporting the Lannisters and Cersi as far as we know. Hence the meeting between him and Jamie.

There's that need for me to rewatch, I thought he refused to declare yet. I'm presuming most of the Tyrell "bannermen" will follow his lead.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:43 pm

I would think that she only took a few ships. She had like "random made up number" 1,000 or so--which Euron replaces in, like, a few weeks--which would be sort of "odd" to have wiped out/captured.

Tyrell is crisped. I may have forgotten, but he tried to make monetary connections with Mycroft Mrs. Denton of the Iron Bank. Now, the Iron Bank loans money to a lot of people--including Stannis. So unless they think Cersi has a major edge, I do not see them financing a fleet or anything else for her side.

Also, Bravos is not a part of Westeros. They are, quite literally, a "free city." No one fucks with them. They seem to be the Switzerland of GoT.

Back to Tarly he waffles a bit, but he seems to realize that the Martels are crisped and without heirs in the television series--maybe Martin mentioned a Cyrus T. Martel in a sentence whilst describing Tyrion's lunch--so I would agree he may be wavering. However, he is a military man, has high hopes for his second son, so replacing the Martels may do it for him.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Doctor X wrote:I would think that she only took a few ships. She had like "random made up number" 1,000 or so--which Euron replaces in, like, a few weeks--which would be sort of "odd" to have wiped out/captured.

Tyrell is crisped. I may have forgotten, but he tried to make monetary connections with Mycroft Mrs. Denton of the Iron Bank. Now, the Iron Bank loans money to a lot of people--including Stannis. So unless they think Cersi has a major edge, I do not see them financing a fleet or anything else for her side.

Also, Bravos is not a part of Westeros. They are, quite literally, a "free city." No one fucks with them. They seem to be the Switzerland of GoT.

Back to Tarly he waffles a bit, but he seems to realize that the Martels are crisped and without heirs in the television series--maybe Martin mentioned a Cyrus T. Martel in a sentence whilst describing Tyrion's lunch--so I would agree he may be wavering. However, he is a military man, has high hopes for his second son, so replacing the Martels may do it for him.

I forgot that Danaerys has her own fleet of ships from her continent. Those are probably the ones on the way to Casterley Rock, and Yara's were all on the way to King's Landing.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Not . . . that . . .

Well, yeah, I do not know who is keeping count, but much of Danny's fleet was burned last season by the Wise Masters et al. She then captured their ships when she returned to Mereen. Then Yara and Reek arrived with Yara's ships which are, well, "a big number like a thousand or something." Where she got the crew for all of them is anyone's guess.

Maybe I am over-estimating the "big number" Yara has. Anyways, looks like whatever her number was, it just got its ass kicked.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Not a spoiler: reality ensued.

I am enjoying that the final season is shaping up like the culmination of a grand chess match. The strategies, plans, and diplomacy seem to make sense for the most part and based carefully on established events. Very few ass pulls.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:13 pm

The last episode had a fan-fiction feel to it in parts due to all the encounters. GRRM would have wrote them in a less miraculous and troppy way. Otherwise good fun.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:34 pm

So far today I have seen articles both on NPR's site and The Guardian about how the article writer has no intentions on ever watching Game of Thrones.

I never watched The Mod Squad, even as a kid. It was mostly because I didn't get the channel it was on when I was growing up, but I bet I could puke out a 2000 word essay on why I never watched it and never will. I wonder if they would publish that. Or does it have to be a currently popular show to expect a medal for never watching it.

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”