Dunkirk

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33455
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1714 times

Dunkirk

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Watched it in IMAX.

I thought it was a good film overall and did a good job of portraying the hopelessness and chaos of war. The airplanes scenes were the best. Just the shot of the Spitfire flying along the Dunkirk beach is cinematographic gold.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33016
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 751 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by ed » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67492
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3376 times
Been thanked: 2144 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Yet, again, Hollywood refuses to cast People of Color in positive and significant roles. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33455
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1714 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Doctor X wrote:Yet, again, Hollywood refuses to cast People of Color in positive and significant roles. . . .

--J.D.
I do hope -- and I mean this genuinely -- that one day casting will be done on merit or more realistically on bankability and merit for the actor regardless of skin color. Similar to how the broadway musical Hamilton just cast whomever they wanted.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70751
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 pm

Interesting point.

:oldman:

Way back when, Ben Vereen was Judas in the original Broadway production of Jesus Christ Superstar. There was all kinds of speculation about the significance of casting a black man in this role, but the director's position was that he was simply the best among those who auditioned for the part.

When Universal made the movie version, had to have a black Judas. Had to. No not Ben Vereen.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67492
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3376 times
Been thanked: 2144 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Doctor X » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 am

Grammatron wrote:I do hope -- and I mean this genuinely -- that one day casting will be done on merit or more realistically on bankability and merit for the actor regardless of skin color. Similar to how the broadway musical Hamilton just cast whomever they wanted.
I understand, but historical recreations are a bit different. Imagine if, say, Denzel Washington was cast as Lincoln. Denzel is a good actor. Okay, maybe he would not get the voice of Daniel Day "Crazy? Your are the Crazy!" Lewis but he can probably do a good job acting. It will not fly.

It is not just race; and it applies more to know historical characters. So imagine a history of the Russian revolution where, say, Al Pachino is playing Lenin with hair. It is just going to look weird.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33455
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1714 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 am

Doctor X wrote:
Grammatron wrote:I do hope -- and I mean this genuinely -- that one day casting will be done on merit or more realistically on bankability and merit for the actor regardless of skin color. Similar to how the broadway musical Hamilton just cast whomever they wanted.
I understand, but historical recreations are a bit different. Imagine if, say, Denzel Washington was cast as Lincoln. Denzel is a good actor. Okay, maybe he would not get the voice of Daniel Day "Crazy? Your are the Crazy!" Lewis but he can probably do a good job acting. It will not fly.

It is not just race; and it applies more to know historical characters. So imagine a history of the Russian revolution where, say, Al Pachino is playing Lenin with hair. It is just going to look weird.

--J.D.
We're not that far off already with American and British actors playing Russian WWII heroes opposite American and British Actors playing ze Germans. As well as such classic roles of Russians as The Hunt for Red October and K-19: The Widowmaker

And while I may not think Denzel can pull off a Lincoln, Sidney Poitier would do a masterful job.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21453
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1386 times
Been thanked: 1173 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 am

I see no reason why you cannot have a black James Bond though.

A white Martin Luther King might be a stretch.

Between those two extremes though, there is probably some wiggle room.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33016
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 751 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by ed » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:29 pm

Particularly if SJW start rewriting history to remove all the microagressions.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 19827
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 570 times
Been thanked: 579 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I see no reason why you cannot have a black James Bond though.

A white Martin Luther King might be a stretch.

Between those two extremes though, there is probably some wiggle room.
Denzel Washington would make a great Bond. He has to get the accent down.

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Mentat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Yet, again, Hollywood refuses to cast People of Color in positive and significant roles. . . .

--J.D.
I do hope -- and I mean this genuinely -- that one day casting will be done on merit or more realistically on bankability and merit for the actor regardless of skin color. Similar to how the broadway musical Hamilton just cast whomever they wanted.
You film war with the actors you have, not the actors you want.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33455
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1714 times

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Grammatron » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Mentat wrote: You film war with the actors you have, not the actors you want.
Very clever :)