The Defenders

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

The Defenders

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 am

Fun show when things actually happen.

But good lord are 'Things happenng' few and far between. THe damned show could have been condensed into a good 2 hour movie
All Hail The Crimson King

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The Defenders

Postby Doctor X » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:28 am

Boobs?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am

I'm about 3 episodes in. I think there was one sex scene so far, but no boobs.

Sigourney Weaver is in it.

I haven't watched any of the other series though. Each of the superheroes has their own series and now they all come together as a team. (Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Daredevil)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Doctor X wrote:Boobs?

--J.D.

The writers aren't the best but calling them that is a bit mean

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Watched the beginning of an episode, but it was real late and my attention was wandering.

One thing it did was make me want to check out more Daredevil.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I'm about 3 episodes in. I think there was one sex scene so far, but no boobs.

Sigourney Weaver is in it.

I haven't watched any of the other series though. Each of the superheroes has their own series and now they all come together as a team. (Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Daredevil)

I have watched all the others. I got really bored with the first season of Daredevil, but thought the second was great. Jessica Jones was pretty good, Luke Cage was even better. Iron Fist sucked hobo balls. And sadly,the only thing that saves The Defenders from feeling like the even more boring second season of Iron Fist (in a lot of ways, the plot is just a continuation of Iron Fist's plot) is that it has three better, more interesting characters to carry it along. Their interaction is one of the better parts of the show.

Though I do find it a bit weird how each of them, having their own superpowers and living in a universe where The Avengers are real, is incredulous of the other's powers. If I were experimented on and, as a result, was bulletproof and could lift a truck, and saw half of Manhattan get leveled by aliens fighting a giant green rage monster, a man in a battle suit, a thawed out super soldier from WWII and a literal Norse god, I think I would be inclined to believe the dude I was talking to with the glowy fist got his powers from magical kung fu monks.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Yeah, I think they call it "Arbitrary Skepticism" on TVTropes... I do get tired of it. Turned up in GoT even.

Check out my dragons! Zombies? What, is the Easter Bunny coming with them or something?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:20 pm

gnome wrote:Yeah, I think they call it "Arbitrary Skepticism" on TVTropes... I do get tired of it. Turned up in GoT even.

Check out my dragons! Zombies? What, is the Easter Bunny coming with them or something?

Yeah, I had the same thought. Also she's immune to fire, but an army of the dead? That's crazy talk!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Also, speaking of tropes, the "Law of conservation of Ninjutsu", is full effect on that show.

I hope after this series, the Netflix Marvel universe will be done with fucking ninjas for a while.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Technical issue:
If TV Tropes won't let you browse because you have an ad blocker, block scripts as well.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:21 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Boobs?

The writers aren't the best but calling them that is a bit mean

But:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Technical issue:
If TV Tropes won't let you browse because you have an ad blocker, block scripts as well.

It is letting me, it's just giving me shit about it on every page.

On this particular machine I can't install or uninstall anything. So whatever is being blocked that they don't like, I have no control over.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm

I can forgive Luke Cage's skepticism of the glowing fist. Believing that Aliens and Science can do things does inherently follow that Magic is real too. Sure Thor is around, but he is really just an Alien.

Not to say the show is good, which 3 episodes in it does not seem like it's good but not bad. Very much a "meh".

PS: Did the cinematographer just graduate from film school? So many "edgy" angles.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Grammatron wrote:I can forgive Luke Cage's skepticism of the glowing fist. Believing that Aliens and Science can do things does inherently follow that Magic is real too. Sure Thor is around, but he is really just an Alien.

Not to say the show is good, which 3 episodes in it does not seem like it's good but not bad. Very much a "meh".

PS: Did the cinematographer just graduate from film school? So many "edgy" angles.

Like I said, it's enjoyable once things start to happen. It's just that not a lot happens. Especially at first. And in between that there is only so much "Luke and Danny bicker, Jessica gets bitchy and wants to go off on her own, while Daredevil broods angstily" that we need to get the point.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Without getting too spoilery, I just realized the season finale of The Defenders completed Danny Rand's transformation into the Jar Jar Binks of the Marvel Universe

They should just go all in and give him the speech patterns too. A second season of Iron Fist could only be more entertaining if he had lines like "Meesa got fisty glowing and do big bombad punching!"

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Iron Fist has to be the dumbest Super Hero ever.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Grammatron wrote:Iron Fist has to be the dumbest Super Hero ever.

This statement is not just true, its true on multiple levels.

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”