Death Note

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

Death Note

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 pm

It's good.

For the non-weebs, just watch it, give it a chance.

まじだぜー
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Re: Death Note

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh, btw, "note" means notebook in Japanese.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Can't bring myself to watch it.

Our daughter loved the original anime.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Sorry, didn't know.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Oh, nothing to be sorry about. Just that I played with the idea of watching it the other day. Couldn't

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm

If anything, I should apologize for throwing a bummer into your thread.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Some SWJ on the internet fucked it for me. Told me I couldn't watch. Said it was terrible. Said it was poorly written with bad dialog.

I'll wait for ed's input.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:46 pm

The anime and source manga started very good; however, like many extended stories, the author did not know how to resolve it. So he had to make the Evil Genius an idiot and promote idiots to genius.

Still, it was very good and surprising for a long time. The problem is, for a time, the antagonists both seemed equally intelligent. Then one just became a "character" with little to no point. His "successors" were even more so. Light was a normal, highly intelligent, teen sociopath. No special powers. He just found a notebook. His antagonists had to be artificially created because, otherwise, they could not oppose him. That became a progressive problem.

The anime expurgates the more depressing implications of the ending:
Spoiler:
There is no Heaven nor Hell. There is nothing. You die and cease to exist. This revelation was deleted in the anime.

It makes for a sad 少女

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:21 am

Started watching it last night. Can't wait to finish watching it today. :)

And I know before I even clicked on this topic that Doc X would have a Japanese Original comment about it. :P
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Just finished watching it.

I'm confused by the ending.

Need help from the savvy culturally elite.
Spoiler:
What are we to imagine that L was planning to write on the torn out page from the book? I thought that torn-out pages meant that the death would be negated, so what would it matter if something is written on a torn-out page? What was written on that torn-out page and who's names were on it?

Oh, and I'm also confused by L's diet, which appears to be exclusively candy. Seems a bit ironic since Ryuk's appears to have a healthy diet of exclusively red apples. I get the we are to presume that L's diet has been this way since he was six, thus his scrawny frame, but why?
There were a lot of close-up shots of his candy diet, as if there were some grand plot device behind it. Are there powerful drugs in the candy that make him a super-detective? Is Katami controlling him with the candy!?!? But, no. In the end, the candy was just candy, and Katami was just a baby-sitter for the neurotic super-detective, for no apparent reason by the way. WTF?
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Like I said, it tries too hard to create an antagonist for Light.

"Liking sweet stuff" is a bit of a trophe for "pretty boys" in manga/anime, but I figure in this case it is suppose to mean he thinks so much he needs the sugar. I would research it further, but I frankly found his character weak and uninteresting. I know . . . Japanese anime fans were dropping their pantsu for him, but then they like effeminate sexless men they can control.

Anax in 三 . . . 二 . . . 一 . . . .

You will note his other "brothers" have "obsessions." Just when you could not think L could get more stupid, his "little brother" showed up with his obsession with toys, specifically games. SYMBOLISM!!1!!!

Meh.

Like I said, the author created an excellent "anti-hero"--a "villain" you can root for. In the manga, in particular, he is a complete sociopath. Yet here is the problem: how did he become what he is? Perhaps it is opportunity: Jay Lifton mused in The Nazi Doctors that without the Nazis/Holocaust Mengele may have just been another sadistic academic. Perhaps something similar for Light. Give him what appears to be unlimited power to kill, he pretends he is killing "only criminals." However, he unflinchingly kills "non-criminals."

He is what made the entire manga, then anime, interesting.

But then the author was "stuck": how do you create an antagonist worthy of him? It is similar to the "Batman-Joker" problem--in reality, one of them would have killed the other. Or no one would actually let the Joker out of his chemical restraints. To "let the Joker out" you have to make up Stupid People.

So, the genius Light suddenly stops thinking.

In a way, it is like the problem anime and manga have with "Plot Armor": you want Big Action and all of that--see Attack on Titan--but everyone would be dead just from the g-forces. Heck, it is a problem with most "Hero" stories--in reality, the villains would just kill him. There is a highly underrated Spaghetti Western Silence which answers that problem:
Spoiler:
The Bad Guys do not split up and let him pick them off one-by-one "in the town" like you see in every Clint Eastwood version; they surround him, well protected, and shoot his ass dead.
Hell, see Dr X No, where Stupid Henchmen breaks into Bond . . . James Bo[Stop it.--Ed.]'s hotel room. Bond is sleeping. So Stupid Henchmen leaves a . . . NOT ACTUALLY POISONOUS TARANTULA!11!!

!

Not just shoot him in his sleeping face?

Directs Seed to bring his Soap Box

Yet it cuts both ways: L pussy-foots around so much with silly plans that do not actually work--once he "arrests" Light's Not-Really-Girlfriend.

What was really good about the story is how Light figures out how to use the notebook. The initial methods L uses to track down the area of Light. Okay . . . okay . . . "international crime fighters" all dependent on a "secret" crime fighter . . . uh . . . yeah, that still sucked.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:58 pm

That's why I've always liked that Sherlock Holmes killed Moriarty (let's ignore the double-death retcon).
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Now the funny thing about that is Moriarty was made-up on the literal fly for Conan Doyle to kill off Sherlock so he could write stories and books no one would ever read. When you read the story, it is like the "Mr. Neutron" episode in that Moriarty does not actually do anything.

Hell, ala Bond, he visits Sherlock to . . . do . . . nothing! Why not . . . SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE? [Stolen from old Cracked article.--Ed.] How he could not have Sherlock killed is, well, stupid.

Now, after Conan Doyle corrected his mistake--musing how lucky he was he did not provide a "corpus delecti" of Holmes which made bringing him back much, much easier John Snow--he would use Moriarty as a sort of Keyser Soze in stories set prior to that time: such as the novella The Valley of Fear. Of course, if Moriarty is so powerful he can have people killed across the globe. . . .

"Forget it, Gram, it's London."

--J.D.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I really enjoyed the introduction of L, right up until he said, "I don't check. I checkmate."

Before that line, I was expecting him to do something amazing. He seemed like a legendary superhero. After that line, L was revealed to be a weak, lost, scared child. Ruled by and driven mad by his obsessions. As Dr. X says, his plot device had been fulfilled. The invincible Light now had something to fear and run from. The story became predictable and boring after that, right up until Light's clever, but temporary, escape from Ryuk's "Rules".

Rules being in quotes, because when you're a demon, you don't have to follow any rules, especially not the one you make. Ryuk made that clear early on, Light pretty much knew he was fucked.
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 am

Better than Demon. He is a "god"--kami--神. Specifically, he is a "Death God" with the addition of the kanji for "death" shifting the pronunciation of a "k" to "g" in Japanese. This is why you hear "shinigami if you listen to the anime as Big Daddy intended: in the Japanese Original

Another kami-chan who hates being called a "demon":

Yet your larger point is taken:
there is no heaven or hell
, Light, L, all of their entire existences depend on how bored Ryuk is. Period. All of the pontifications from Light and L? Do not matter.

As you noticed, the anime starts to fall completely apart when L enters. His replacement is worse. The whole fucking "Secret Detective That All the World Listens to but No One Knows . . . fuck . . . I kept hearing it in this voice:

[youtube][/youtube]
1:30

Of course, The Venture Brothers is taking the piss out of that! This anime was trying to be serious!
"Captain Sunshine" is "Batman" and voiced by the animated Batman actor. Except he comes off like a pedophile--keeps talking about Wonderboy and looking for new "Wonderboys." He is not, they just keep dying . . . like Robin. The creators really thanked Kevin for his voice acting. Really, imagine an insane Batman. The MONARCH[!--Ed.] is every over-the-top-stupid/incompetent costumed villain in every comic.

Anyways, the explanatory voice, that sounds like someone shitting a brick, that voice, you heard in all of the Super Friends, League of Justice, Batman, you name it, that voice is voicing everything that yaoi L does! Seriously. Except it is serious. Seriously. Serious.

The MONARCH[!--Ed.] set the last Wonderboy on fire because he was drunk after his temporary break-up with Dr. Girlfriend.
And that is more developed than L's back-story! A fucking SATIRE of cartoons has better developed characters than this!

Which is a shame, because the "fun" of Death Note is Light figuring out how to use it. He is a sociopath. He likes killing. Like some serial killers, he pretends he is preying on "the bad people." He is not, but that is what made it all interesting.

Still, all complaints aside, it is an extremely influential anime. In a way, like Neon Genesis Evangelion, which not even the creator understands, but scenes are recreated and parodied. Even "unpopular" Tomoko parodied Death Note:

[youtube][/youtube]

Notice she has a box of tissues next to her computer. Yes. That is why she has a box of tissues next to her computer.

--J.D.