The new Star Trek

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Anaxagoras

The new Star Trek

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 am

I haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I did watch the first two (the first two episodes were released on the first week). So far, I'm not super impressed, but I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek in any of its previous incarnations. I'm sorry, but the Klingons are stupid.

So here's the predictable meta discussion about it: Has it been "ruined" by "SJWs"? There's a pretty large delta between the average professional critics' score and the average user's score. This tends to happen whenever there's something you are "supposed to" like because it's socially progressive/politically correct, but isn't actually as good as it's made out to be.

I went over to Metacritic and I noticed that both the professional critics who like it and the users who hate it cite the same thing:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/star-trek-discovery
The Daily Beast
Ira Madison III
Sep 24, 2017
It’s even more beautiful watching two women of color, black and Asian, navigate a realm that traditionally hasn’t included them. It honors sci-fi’s history while giving it a bold new future to stake claim in, making Star Trek essential television for the first time in decades.
KnightMarshal
Sep 29, 2017
This is the first time I've felt the need to write a review. Huge Star Trek fan all of my short life (22). In terms of CGI 10/10. However, CGI does not make a series good. Character development is god awful. Star Trek was good because it developed multiple characters. This can't even develop 'the main' character properly. (Why is there even a main character?!) Most importantly, to the developers, Thanks for **** on my favorite franchise you SJW cucks. Star Trek has always been progressive, but this is insanity. You all need to be fired, out of a torpedo bay preferably. End of rage rant.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Re: The new Star Trek

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 am

Here's the thing about these Klingons that ruined it for me.

I'm not a huge Star Trek nerd so I don't know the Klingon language but these actors sure don't give the impression that they are native speakers of Klingon. They. Say. Each. Word. One. At. A. Time. And. Make. A. Full. Stop. After. Each. Word.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 am

I can take neither those who use the term "people of color," nor "cuck" at all seriously on any subject including how to successfully wipe oneself.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Here's the thing about these Klingons that ruined it for me.

I'm not a huge Star Trek nerd so I don't know the Klingon language but these actors sure don't give the impression that they are native speakers of Klingon. They. Say. Each. Word. One. At. A. Time. And. Make. A. Full. Stop. After. Each. Word.
It's a dramatic convention, much like that "Shakespearean" accent that was once in style among actors. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:17 am

SJW stuff doesn't tend to ruin Trek. It's been peppered with that the whole time. Bad writing ruins Trek.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Proper TOS Trek made heavy handed leftist moralism fun. :coolspecs:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes, yes, yes, YES!

But the Important People need to know if this will help over-come a 28-3 deficit with about 8 minutes left in the third quarter.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I'm sorry, but the Klingons are stupid.
Well, TOS klingons were basically space fascists; a ruthless empire of might makes right looking to expand.

Next gen made them samurai in space. To a retarded degree. (As well as introducing the batleth, which is worse than the batfleck).

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:22 pm

Giz wrote:(As well as introducing the batleth, which is worse than the batfleck).
or as useful as a beherit:

[youtube][/youtube]

--J.D.