Funny books.

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Funny books.

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:49 am

Hogfather. Kinda the same plot as Nightmare before Xmas (Death takes over for The Hogfather, which is Diskworld's version of Santa) but far funnier. All the Diskworld books I have read (there are a LOT of them) are good, but Hogfather is my fave

One of my favorite bits (Death is not shouting here, but he always speaks in ALL CAPS). After he has given a little girl a sword as a gift...

"You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
'What if she cuts herself?'
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON."

Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 am

Tom Sharpe, Ancestral Vices and The Throwback. I enjoyed all Sharpe's novels but these remain clear in the mind many years later.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Hogfather. Kinda the same plot as Nightmare before Xmas (Death takes over for The Hogfather, which is Diskworld's version of Santa) but far funnier. All the Diskworld books I have read (there are a LOT of them) are good, but Hogfather is my fave

One of my favorite bits (Death is not shouting here, but he always speaks in ALL CAPS). After he has given a little girl a sword as a gift...

"You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
'What if she cuts herself?'
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON."

I've read the lot. I'm particularly fond of the Lancre witches and Rincewind. Albert, Death's servant is also a favourite. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 am

I have only read a handful (Hogfather, Colour of Magic, Mort and a couple of others whose name I forget)

I keep meaning to read the rest, because I have liked every single one of them, but have been put off by the sheer number of novels.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:12 am

Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency & The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Must reads.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 am

Doctor X wrote:Good Omens.

--J.D.
Try Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. It's not exactly a sequel but is on the same lines as American Gods.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 am

Or Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy, Cryptonimicon and Reamde, for a more challenging read. Man's a genius.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 am

Cryptonomicon is top 3 all time for me. As far as funny books go I think Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is closer to the mark.

I have not read the Baroque trilogy or Reamde as I've heard mixed things, maybe I should.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:41 am

The Baroque trilogy takes some reading, each is a lengthy tome, as is Reamde. To my mind, however, they were worth the time.

The only Stephenson novel I didn't enjoy is Anathem. Way, way too long. The Big U is a particular favourite. :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 am

Kingsley Amis, Lucky Jim & The Old Devils.
“Dixon was alive again. Consciousness was upon him before he could get out of the way; not for him the slow, gracious wandering from the halls of sleep, but a summary, forcible ejection. He lay sprawled, too wicked to move, spewed up like a broken spider-crab on the tarry shingle of morning. The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eyeballs again. A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth had been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he'd somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by secret police. He felt bad.”
― Kingsley Amis, Lucky Jim

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:35 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:Tom Sharpe
I liked a lot the first one I read, especially the very un-PC South African context. But the next ones I bought relied on too similar stuff, and I'm easily bored… :(

Mine has this more conventional (and dated) cover:

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:30 am

Another fun book I liked: