The Horror Thread!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

The Horror Thread!

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 am

In my [Futile--Ed.] effort to progress my mastery of 日本語 beyond "The boy drinks the turtle," I have watched various Japanese Originals. Currently watching a disturbing film Marebito, [稀人--Ed.] or, basically, "visitor from afar" or "rare/phenomenal person." It is on the level of interesting-disturbing as the Japanese Swedish {Norwegian, McReady!} Original Let the Right One In.

It also stars this asshole:

who is a film director happy to act in other people's films. Famous as the guy who plays the man behind Ichi the Killer, which also stars the Same Guy:

who plays an "MiB" character in this film. Same guy inspired Quentin "What Do You Mean I Am Too Self-Indulgent" Tarantino to hire him as one of the two who could actually act in Kill Bill I.

The filmmaker who is interested in urban legends follows a ghost into a hidden underground in Tōkyō [Stop that!--Ed.]. Along the way, he finds a Naked Chick chained to a wall.

He frees her.

Takes her home.

Very interesting. Very disturbing, like Let the Right One In, without being graphically disgusting.

Anyways, I like good horror. Stuff that scares or has a very interesting idea as opposed to "let's disembowel virgins" movies. I mean, seriously, as I, Claudius recommended, make sure they are not virgins before you disembowel them.

Where was I?

Oh yeah! While I can recommend it and a few other "J-Horror" films let us add to this other films from other countries as well. New one or old ones forgotten.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: The Horror Thread!

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm

On Wednesday I had lunch with this guy:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:17 pm

"They're coming to get you, Barbara!"

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Love the vintage broadcast gear.

However, he is not addressing the microphone properly. Deduct 10 points for faulty continuity.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:45 am

Been in kind of a horror drought lately. I haven't come across anything good. The best I have seen in the last few months is "The Ritual" which had a good-ish ending but a boring as fuck beginning.

The monster at the end was awesome, but it couldn't save the movie from the fact that they had at best 20 minutes of plot stretched into 90 minutes of movie. It was at best "okay" and that's the best I have seen in months. Everything else has been aggressively bad.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 am

I think that the single best supernatural flick that I have seen was the original Haunting.
- new minimalist ethos -

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:35 am

Infection

Yes Tentacle J-Horror but this is a fantastic movie. It is a hospital, a patient with a mysterious rash is coming to the emergency room. Yadda Yadda Zombies/Vampires/Magical Girls/ZombieLoliVampires! :hyper:

But no.

It is a poor hospital losing money. The docs all have problems. They cannot afford anything. They cannot keep nurses, so the nurses they have are new and some of the new docs are failures from previous practices. The only patients they have are true "Gomers" ["Get Out of My Emergency Room."--Ed.] and other Space Occupying Lesions that they cannot get rid of. That is, incidentally, a real problem in USA!USA!USA! as well, particularly when said SOL is "undocumented" [Illegal.--Ed.] or, worse, "private pay," [Uninsured and "poor as shit."--Ed.]

Everyone hates one another while depending on one another because despite the situation they still have some sense of humanity and do not want to abandon their patients. A nurse torments weaker nurse who cannot draw blood without turning a Gomer into a pin-cushion.

Then a patient who is nothing but a mass of bandages decides to "go to ground" ["All Gomers go to ground"--Rule of the House of God.--Ed.] and codes. You find out he is a 70% burn victim which makes him about Cleveland-Fan-Level hopeless. During the code one doc mixes up "chloride" with "chlorate" and Empty-Headed-but-Eager-to-Please Nurse dutifully injects the coding patient and, well, that does kill him.

What follows is a fantastic examination of ethics on what to do. Head Nurse wants to report what happened. Most think Empty-Head heard wrong save Torture Nurse who backs her to gain leverage against the doc. Doc confesses he made the mistake.

But.

They guy has been vent-dependent unconscious for three months which means Doris Dumbass has a better prognosis. He has no known family. No known identity. He is "no one." Less a "no one" that the hooker who disappears leaving only "your friendship with Michael Corleone, Senator."

Report it? People lose jobs, what is left of the sinking ship is gone with no one taking the patients.

All of this intrigue and not one Zombie Vampire Loli yet.

Happily absent is "jump scares." The movie teases that, but there are, so far no "ghosts." None of the usual suspects of horror. Sadly, Anax, Empty-Headed nurse and Clueless Disgraced Former Pediatrician have not Danced the Light Fantastic in an elevator which opens to reveal:

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 am

I'll make another pitch for Dark. It's on Netflix. German show set out in a small town in the middle of the woods (might be in the Black Forest, but I don't know). Anyway, it's a small town where the main industry is a nuclear power plant that's going to be decommissioned soon. It's small enough that pretty much everyone knows everyone else, which doesn't mean that they all get along. The kids mostly hate it because it's in the middle of nowhere as far as they are concerned. Kids in the town start disappearing and nobody can figure out why. It's thought to be the work of a serial killer but there are no obvious suspects. There's a spooky cave out in the woods near the nuclear power plant that might have something to do with it though.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:57 am

I will add that to The List!

{The list is correct, Herr Schindler!}

No, not that one!

I fully support Infection. Like the Usual Suspects before everyone learned the twist that Dean Keaton is King Arthur's father, I have to watch it again. It is NOT what you think, which was quite the pleasure.

I was/am a big fan of the Japanese Spanish original [REC]. Fun "Zombie Flick" with a twist. I also liked the second one because it embraced a bit of the cheese: "Zombies come to your wedding!" So I expected, after reading a, "no, really, check this out!" review, it would be like that.

No, it is not even that.

Just pay attention to the reds and the greens.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

These days I go to dystopian scifi or the SCP Foundation for horror.

It's a pretty good shared writing site, not like those hacks at creepypasta.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Speaking of Creepypasta, has anyone been watching Channel Zero on SyFy? Its a series kind of like American Horror Story where each season is a self contained story. Each of those stories is loosely based on a creepypasta story. The first season was "Candle Cove" (aka "The only creepypasta story I ever read that I liked") and it was really good. The second was something called "No End House" and that was okay but not as good as "Candle Cove". They just started season 3, something called "Butchers Block" which deals with disappearances in a town. And I like it because it has kind of a "Lovecraft meets The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" vibe to it.

All of the stories manage to be creepy and weird, even if the episodes themselves are variable in quality. I recommend it.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I've noticed it. May go and look for it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 am

Starting Dark :hyper:

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am

Hope you like it. :)
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 am

I just remembered one other thing from the Horror genre which I saw on Netflix a few months ago.

Based on a novella by Stephen King of the same name.
It was OK, not spectacular, but classic King. So I would say that if you like Stephen King, it's worth a watch.
A little bit predictable, but it has its scary moments. About a farmer out in Kansas in 1922. He has a disagreement with his wife. To say much more about the plot would begin to spoil it, but it's basically a trim hour-and-a-half horror movie that follows a definite story arc with a beginning, middle and a definite end (no leaving loose ends for a sequel).

But to reiterate, it is classic King. It's not The Shining, but it comes from the same well.
Anyone else see it already? Should be on Netflix.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 am

So far . . . so good. It is like a Kraut German Stranger Things in that they seem to introduce interesting characters who clearly have stories rather than "Imma Trophe!"

No tentacles though.

I wanted to Recommend to Nyarl, and, たぶん、お前 [Stop that!--Ed.] the live action of Hell Girl. That series I mentioned on the "Weebo" thread I think. Long story short, if one likes the good old Tales of the Unexpected, Tales from the Crypt-Type series, the live action does a good job. They choose the best stories from the anime while giving homage to the Still-Japanese Original, such as using some of the creepier music. You do not have to see the anime to enjoy it.

I recommend the anime as a good "creepy" series that does demonstrate an interesting over-arching-back-story-thingy-物, but I understand most will not invest the time for a 24-odd episode anime.

It is not "horror" as in "scare you"; it is more "interesting moral dilemmas.

The anime is influential. A series I would have recommended if they stuck with the "Interesting Celtic Mythology" rather than descending into another Teen-with-Angst-Whom-Everyone-Sees-as-a-Leader-Oh-Wait-MAGIC!-Mess-that-Would-Make-You-Chortle: "And you bitch to me about Railgun?" does have a character whose ringtone is いっぺん死んで見る?

In the rain.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:39 am

面白いだ!

--J. "99 . . . Red Balloons" D.

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:45 am

Cool. How many episodes in?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Just the fourth.

I need a score card. It sort of reminds me of a certain anime where, four episodes into it, wait . . . what? Everyone is dead?

The comparisons to Stranger Things are obvious, but for those who have not seen it, it is different. The main comparison is all of the characters have complex backstories which make them that more interesting.

--J. "Time . . . She Flexes Like a Whore" D.

P.S. Up to Episode 8 and I need both a score card and stiff drink.
P.P.S. "David Lynch was a fag!"

AL East Champs!!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 am

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!