Ghost Stories (2018)

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Ghost Stories (2018)

Post by ed » Sun May 20, 2018 11:31 am

<sigh>

Flick got pretty good reviews "a ode to british horror of the 50's" lies like that. This from Rotton Tomatoes is typical:
Ghost Stories offers a well-crafted, skillfully told horror anthology that cleverly toys with genre tropes while adding a few devilishly frightful twists.
Bullshit.

Starred Martin Freeman, whom I like.

Major spoilers are below
Spoiler:
Thing is that it is of the "it's all in your head genre. The fucker who is the protagonist is in a "vegetative state" and is imagining the whole thing. The mirror (that they artlessly call attention to) that lets him "see" at 45deg rather than up at the ceiling provides a segue between episodes. Fucking tiresome. The workers in the hosp. are the people he works into his stupid fantasies. God in a machine writ large.
I really like ghost stories but this is not worth anyones time, sadly.

MR James could do it. Read this snippit
there was the lady who, on locking her bedroom door in a strange house, heard a thin voice among the bed-curtains say, “Now we’re shut in for the night.”
I find that sentence horrifying. Why oh why is there nothing but dreck? We have been invaded by agents of the GEoJ and still there is nothing.

Worse yet, I asked my son to join us to watch. He sat dutifully and then gave me a pitying glace at the end. AND I paid $7.50 ... AMERICAN!!!!! :x :x

Sad.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!