Question about The Purge

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Nyarlathotep

Question about The Purge

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:21 pm

The ads for the new purge movie got me thinking.

You ever wonder if every once in a while someone gets confused and begins purging on the wrong night?

Some guy bursts into his neighbors house, hacks up his neighbor with a machete and the guy's wife yells "What the hell are you doing Bob?"

"Hacking up your husband with a machete. It's Purge Night! I can do that tonight."

"That's next Thursday."

"Oh...shit. Uhhhh....sorry. My bad"
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Grammatron

Re: Question about The Purge

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Is the cut-off time a hard line?

Like if you start hacking at 5:36 but the cut-off (ha!) time is 6:00 AM and the person is still alive can you finish them or what?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Well, you know, you probably want to give yourself plenty of time anyway. To get back to your car because you probably parked in a handicapped spot

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:01 am

Came up with a new one while watching the new movie. Nothing to do with anything in the movie (other than possibly the fact that some of the main characters were gangsters) but what about prison? You generally lose your rights while in prison. So on Purge Night is it okay to shank your celly? How about a guard? How about just sitting on your bunk drinking homemade prison hooch? Or did that right go away with the rest of your rights. If it IS still illegal to shank a guard on Purge Night and I was in prison, would I have grounds for a lawsuit?

Oh and as for the movie it was....okay. Somehow I didn't like it as much as the other ones and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe its because each of the previous movies covered different ground. The first one from the POV of a well off suburban family. The second from the POV of the poor, where you found out that the purge was really aimed at culling them. And the third from the POV of government officials bunkered up during the event. But this one kind of went over the same ground as the second and third movie. That was disappointing. And at the end they announced a new Purge TV series, so I suspect this was kind of a stealth pilot.

They did read my mind a bit, though. I have long thought that if the Purge were a real thing, it would be less "Streets filled with roving murder gangs" and more "A lot of drunken assholes looting and committing vandalism" with most people just hunkered down for the night. Mostly because people might WANT to kill each other, but are not so keen on dying themselves. And that last bit would probably be the overriding instinct in such a situation. I know it would for me. And that was how it started off in the movie...I won't go into how that changed without giving away spoilers but I bet you could guess if you thought about it.

Anyway, worst of the series, still an okay movie if this kind of movie is your thing

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am

Never saw them. However, I am reminded of an analysis of the "Nuculer Age" survivalist movement--everyone has a bunker--as feeding the hope you would find the excuse to shoot that neighbor you hated.

Everyone has "A List."

If only it was legal. And not messy. Just a fantasy.

The whole point of the Mad Max films. Whenever you are in traffic.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Sure everyone has "a list". Likewise, everyone is probably on at least one other person's list, more if they are a REAL asshole. And I think most people realize that. Thus, knowing that they are as likely to be found by someone whose list they are on as to find any of the people on their own list, most people would choose to board the doors and windows and stay home, I think.