Tombstone

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Tombstone

Post by ed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 am

I was thinking about this flic today. Saw it back in '93. It was memorable for a couple of reasons. First is that I happened to visit the real Tombstone when they were still putting the film together and visited the Birdcage Theater which figured in the film.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Cage_Theatre

The original was locked up for years and so was pretty much untouched. We then went to the "Old Tucson Film Studio" where many iconic films and tv shows were shot and saw the Birdcage used in the film. Perfect repro except new and shiny. It reminds me of the Opera House in Arcadia Florida, actually.

Anyway, Val Kilmer's accent is evidentially spot on. A number of people who have some expertise in such things say that he nailed the southern educated thing.

There is an excellent book on the events around the Gunfight at the OK corral (still there, btw)

The movie's version of the gunfight was an almost exact depiction of the description in the book.

Anyway, a movie worthy of another look.

Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Tombstone

Post by ed » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Sorta funny and sad...

Seems they have an evnt in the real Tombstone .. the annual Doc-holli-days (!).

first one was last year and Kilmer showed up. This year he was supposed to be there again and on his facebook page he was all gung ho "See you this weekend" and so on.

You guessed it, he bagged it on the day he was supposed to be there. But his "people" were there selling crap.

Asshole.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm
Sorta funny and sad...

Seems they have an evnt in the real Tombstone .. the annual Doc-holli-days (!).

first one was last year and Kilmer showed up. This year he was supposed to be there again and on his facebook page he was all gung ho "See you this weekend" and so on.

You guessed it, he bagged it on the day he was supposed to be there. But his "people" were there selling crap.

Asshole.
How can you blame him for being unapologetically capitalist? Doc Holliday was always about conspicuous consumption.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 pm

He has not even begun to defile himself.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!