Remember "Bewitched"? You know, with Darren and other Darren?

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Remember "Bewitched"? You know, with Darren and other Darren?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

‘Bewitched’ Reboot With Interracial Family From Kenya Barris & Yamara Taylor Set At ABC With Big Commitment Via ABC Studios, Sony TV & Davis Entertainment
Deadline Hollywood
... In Bewitched, written by Barris and Taylor, Samantha, a hardworking black single mom who happens to be a witch, marries Darren, a white mortal who happens to be a bit of a slacker. They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America. ...
If it were my job to "colorize" Bewitched with a black and white couple, I'd do it different.

Darren would be an African American no-nonsense hard scientist, cool and handsome along the lines of a younger Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Samantha would be a stunningly gorgeous blonde airhead Wiccan.

And this time the gimmick would be that magic doesn't really work. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Re: Remember "Bewitched"? You know, with Darren and other Darren?

Post by Witness » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:32 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm
Darren would be an African American no-nonsense hard scientist, cool and handsome along the lines of a younger Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
Just could be the model:

If I remember well, Gould wrote about him.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 am

IIRC Gould said something fatuous about him being like Jack Johnson.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 am

The original was before my time, and I didn't watch the reruns either. I doubt I'll watch the reboot.

In the last paragraph it mentions that CBS is going to reboot Magnum P.I., which I was a fan of back in the 80s. I might check that out.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 am

I am trying to think of a remake that worked/s.

Some shows, like All in the Family, were successful but rather loose adaptations of Japanese Limey Originals. Not sure those count. Most attempts to adapt successful foreign shows, such as Red Dwarf, Absolutely Fabulous, Rake, The Streets of San Francisco, and, of course The Office, failed miserably.

Bewitched was before my time as well. When I saw reruns I though "meh." Typical A-B sticom with a laugh-track that had no point.

Many actually successful "sitcoms" of the 70s--like All in the Family or its various successful spinoffs--can you name all of them?
  • 1. Maud
    2. The Jeffersons
    3. Yeah . . . yeah . . . "Archie's Place" but . . . no . . . like Railgun and True Detective II and even Terra Formas that never happened
    4. ? Guess!
    Spoiler:
    4. Goodtimes
you could not do today without resulting in major riots and MSNBC imploding upon itself into a singularity of self-righteous virtue signaling.

What then? Remake M*A*S*H? A series that I have felt dirty laughing at as a Wee Spud after I saw the Japanese Original? Loretta Switt cannot hold Sally Kellerman's g-string?

Airwolf?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:43 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:44 am
I am trying to think of a remake that worked/s.
Battlestar Galactica. The original did not age well, but I thought the reboot was quite good.
Granted, the ending was stupid, but it was pretty good up until they started with the magical plot twists.
Some shows, like All in the Family, were successful but rather loose adaptations of Japanese Limey Originals. Not sure those count. Most attempts to adapt successful foreign shows, such as Red Dwarf, Absolutely Fabulous, Rake, The Streets of San Francisco, and, of course The Office, failed miserably.

Bewitched was before my time as well. When I saw reruns I though "meh." Typical A-B sticom with a laugh-track that had no point.

Many actually successful "sitcoms" of the 70s--like All in the Family or its various successful spinoffs--can you name all of them?
  • 1. Maud
    2. The Jeffersons
    3. Yeah . . . yeah . . . "Archie's Place" but . . . no . . . like Railgun and True Detective II and even Terra Formas that never happened
    4. ? Guess!
    Spoiler:
    4. Goodtimes
you could not do today without resulting in major riots and MSNBC imploding upon itself into a singularity of self-righteous virtue signaling.

What then? Remake M*A*S*H? A series that I have felt dirty laughing at as a Wee Spud after I saw the Japanese Original? Loretta Switt cannot hold Sally Kellerman's g-string?
I didn't realize that The Jeffersons was a spinoff of All in the Family. Back in the day, I liked M*A*S*H the TV show. I saw the movie later, and I don't think I cared for it much. In the TV show they never sing the lyrics to the song "Suicide is Painless." They just kept the music without the lyrics. Probably a good choice.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 am

Battlestar was so different it is almost like two different series. Sort of like John Carpenter's The Thing and the source novella and first movie.

I will not totally "dog" the M*A*S*H series, but it was basically a "harem anime" whereas the movie followed the original book and the insanity of the whole Korea conflict with residents sucked into it. Funnily enough, the series got better when they dumped attempts to refer to the source material "in a wacky way" by getting rid of Stevenson's character, the useless Trapper John, and let Switt move beyond "Hot Lips." Larry Linville was pretty much beloved and was a wonderful Frank Burns and, frankly, kept the show alive. He knew that his character had gone far enough. Bringing in Potter, Charles Emerson Winchester--the third--and B.J. opened up the comedy, but it never had the nihilistic look at war the source material had.

"Too many yucks."

Some good ones though. I loved Col. "The Wind" Flagg and That Guy from the Quartermasters:

Though still too many "laugh-track yucks."

--J. "The Wind Just Broke His Leg!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:47 pm

You remember shows that, right after they jumped the shark, had one of the leads breaking into song? Or doing some sctick that they were known for or was a hopeless caricature of some other thing that was part of their character? I think of the desperately unfunny Laverne and Shirley where some stereotypical Italian goomba breaks into song apropos of nothing.

With MASH it was the pretty unfunny Hawkeye doing a grotesque Groucho impersonation. Jesus, how did they let that happen. I still wince when I think of it. Only thing that Hawkeye was good at was as that crooked senator in The Aviator.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:11 pm

It's disappointing to read people subjectively badmouthing TV shows that I loved to watch. All you are doing is revealing your own prejudices and biases.

On the other hand, now I know what I sound like when I do the same to TV shows that other people enjoy watching.

So thanks for that. :P

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:16 pm

But you'd watch the new Bewitched if they did it my way, wouldn't you? 8)