So like, Doctor Who is cucked, and a woman is the least of it

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

So like, Doctor Who is cucked, and a woman is the least of it

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Jodie Whittaker was a good choice for the Doctor. She has a good resume, she worked with the current showrunner before on Broadchurch, and she did a fine job on that production.

When she was cast, bitter nerds pitched a fit "oh you are just giving in to whiny SJWs!" and maybe they were right. I shrugged it off with a "whatever, I like Jodie, the showrunner trusts her, and the showrunner needs the wiggle room to succeed".

Doctor Who had gotten progressively more "on the nose" with socjus messaging though. The new Doctor Who was a hit because it was about a man with a dark past trying to forgive himself and looking for redemption. That could easily be a woman as well. However, socjus influence started making itself known.

This season began and I was hopeful though. I wanted to see Jodie succeed. I think a good actor conveys meaning in their lines, but a better actor knows the inspiration beneath and gets the fucking script changed when it embarasses them. (more on this later)

Episode1: the diversity hires

This was a typical "new doctor doesn't know who they are episode". The doctor finds 3 new whacky friends. old white guy, young black guy, and terrorist cop. I call them that because they are pretty 2D and unmemorable. 1 companion works well because you can flesh them out. 3 is... eh... bad showrunning. This is the point where a nitpicking nerd would say "SEE, SJWs RUIN EVERYTHING" because it's confirmation bias. It doesn't help Jodie be the Doctor either to have 3 other people in the Tardis. The duality of the relationship has worked well on the new version of the show.

Episode2: where things actually start going South

Not a bad episode, but the first one where Jodie should have stood up to the script. You are the Doctor, you read lines as the Doctor. At one point, the Doctor gives up hope on her rainbow coalition and goes all "all is lost, we all die, sorry". No "NOT TODAY, IM THE DOCTOR, EVERYONE LIVES!" St Crispins' mini-log. It was completely un-Doctorish. Add to that some very painful on-the-nose anti-gun messaging (what decade is this?) and you are now a bit queasy about this season. On-the-nose messaging is what Nyar would call shoehorning as they do it in gaming.

Episode3: we dare you to criticize Rosa parks

The doctor and her diveristy hires fight a racist from the future where people still care apparently set against Rosa Parks' refusal to move. This is where SJW writing makes things stupid. This could have been really well done. Show injustice so that today's youths don't take it for granted. I'm on board. This episode was actually a labor to watch. It plodded heavily. It also failed at TV 101.

Now. I'm just a random guy on the internet and not a highly paid TV person, but I know when you need an A. plot and a B. plot. This episode needed our two minorities on a B. plot much earlier. The doctor realizes that them walking around loud and proud can fuck up history for every black person in America and orders them back to the Tardis. Their characters carry the idiot ball and say "nuh uh, muh history". And the Doctor says "oh, all right, come on". NOPE. Send them back, be the daddy, then they run into space racist on the way and that's the B plot. womp womp. Space racist also makes no sense. A 2D written alt-right from the future basically.

As much money as they spent, they had no American English coaches and wind up having the UK actors playing Americans drop English localisms. A bus driver has a "rota" instead of a "shift". Minor nags, but the "we want to have some historical accuracy to teach younger people" sounds like a second motive at this point. Seems more like ye olde cynical "holocaust drama and racism drama win awards" formula.

There is more super cringey on-the-nose knife/gun messaging.

And after it all, you are left with a show that just ran 10 minutes too long.

TL;DR: open up the B plot way earlier, and have the racists be racist. Have them say the n-word. Show the ugliness of institutional racism where people have to take shit and smile. Show kids the casual everyday evil as it was. Don't soften it. You aren't teaching anything but a softball version of the civil rights era. You even failed at SOCJUS messaging that everyone agrees with.

Episode4: Unwatchable Crap

A cartoonish billionaire modeled after Trump. Struggling to use the diversity hires for something. On-the-nose environmental/gun messaging. And a confusing "NO DONT KILL IT, OH, WELL, KILL THEM ALL BUT HUMANELY" confusing mess. We nearly turned this episode off 15 minutes before it finished because this is truly a case study in how SJW writing ruins content. They are too busy shoehorning the messaging and forget to make it interesting beyond a giant spider gimmick. Did I just say that? This is probably the worst episode the new Doctor run of shows.

We had the person (I dropped man), with a dark past, having trouble living with themselves, adventuring to try to forget their guilt for a while.

Now we have blatant marxist indoctrination with a thin plot over it full of more holes than Julius Caesar on March 16th. This was like a parody someone else made to show how bad TV is if you let SJWs dictate the content.

At the end, the companions have their "do I stay or do I go now" moments. And without fail they are vacuous. The cop has no sense of duty and wants to go off space adventuring. Young black man is like "it's this or xbox, so this yo". But grieving widower grandpa actually nails his performance and is written with a motivation. He doesn't want to be at home reminded of his wife. That wife would tell him to get on the Tardis too.

Now, here is where I look back and realize the missed opportunity. Jodie isn't mary poppins to the younger two companions nor a maternal figure or even a paternal figure. They fail to establish the dynamic.

Widower white pensioner should have been the only companion. He is old, skeptical, and has a moral compass, but major reservations too. He is one the Tardis to escape his grief. _BUT_, as it's revealed in episode 7, he kind of hopes these high risk adventures will kill him so he can be with his wife. So he runs from the grief with a glimmer of hope to be reunited. Now _that_, is motivation. And the turnabout could be at the moment of his ascension into infinity, he is forced to choose immortality to save mankind. Be with her, or save everyone. The viewers would all know he's going to save everyone as that is the fabric of the man, but it is the turmoil they are watching for. "I'm sorry Nan, I tried. I really did. <sobs> We'll never see each other again, and I wish you were here to ask forgiveness for that. <stiffens up> Right. Now, which one of these switches saves the world again."

So many missed opportunities here, real shame. And poor Jodie is walking wide-eyed through most of it squandering her talent. Here is an idea, make older widower black if you are worried about two white mains. Fine. Okay. But work on his motivation and the dramatic tension with the younger but more wise Doctor who he naturally tries to feel paternal for but can't since the doctor is only young in appearance. Heck, make him an Archie Bunker that despite some retrograde thinking the audience sympathizes with instead of shuns (hey, why can't they remember this now versus throwing molotovs? empathize and enlighten)

So yeah, the doctor is cucked. The butthurt nerds were right and they will be saying "told you so" forever now. That's the real crime.

At this point, Jodie's doctor has forgiven themselves for the Time War. What is the Doctor? Why is the Doctor doing this? You are no longer the brooding man who can't forgive himself for X. What is the doctor's motivation now? Jodie has been dealt a bad hand. "You just fly around in a ship and solve mysteries like scooby doo".

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: So like, Doctor Who is cucked, and a woman is the least of it

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:28 pm

tl;dr

Stop whining and watch something else. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Well yeah, I'm not watching any more now. Episode 4 was my "nope, we're done here" moment.

The show isn't even worth hate-watching for fun now.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:11 pm

corplinx wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm
What is the doctor's motivation now? Jodie has been dealt a bad hand. "You just fly around in a ship and solve mysteries like scooby doo".
That merely represents a return to form. The Time War was a 2005 invention, from 1963 until 2005, "Flying around in a ship and solving mysteries like Scooby Doo" was pretty much all The Doctor did. Save for a brief period in the 70s where they took away the ship and he just solved mysteries while stuck on Earth.

Also, The Doctor being kind of weird about violence is an old tradition too. The Fourth Doctor (the one with the enormously long scarf and the beaky nose, who is the one most older Americans think of when they think "Doctor Who") had an opportunity to kill off the Daleks at the time of their creation. He declined, citing that he didn't feel right about it. Then the 7th Doctor (the one in the 80s who looked like Al from Quantum Leap) destroyed their homeworld. It's never been consistent.

Overall, I am liking the show. I don't care why the the companions were hired, I like them (though I think they could ditch the younger ones, keep the older one and not have killed off his wife in episode 1. They were far more interesting as a couple than the others). I am not going to bitch because they are not all white anyway. I am just glad that it isn't yet another pretty woman who wants to be the Doctor's girlfriend.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 pm

The old series is dead. This is the new one.

It's easy to justify any bad screenwriting based off the original series.

Peter Capaldi's scripts were train wrecks but at least pacing was good.

This is just bad TV for the modern era. That last episode was bad, bad, bad and it doesn't matter if the Doctor's companions are pink, alien, robots, or an obvious human diversity play. Bad writing is bad writing.

Continuity between seasons has always been a joke among Who fans, we get that already.

"Don't shoot the spider!" "didn't you just lock them all in a room to die, and they are a cannibal species, sooooo"

Jodie will take the blame for this. She will be remembered as a bad doctor through no fault of her own.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm

corplinx wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:23 pm
The old series is dead. This is the new one.

It's easy to justify any bad screenwriting based off the original series.

Peter Capaldi's scripts were train wrecks but at least pacing was good.

This is just bad TV for the modern era. That last episode was bad, bad, bad and it doesn't matter if the Doctor's companions are pink, alien, robots, or an obvious human diversity play. Bad writing is bad writing.

Continuity between seasons has always been a joke among Who fans, we get that already.

"Don't shoot the spider!" "didn't you just lock them all in a room to die, and they are a cannibal species, sooooo"

Jodie will take the blame for this. She will be remembered as a bad doctor through no fault of her own.

It's all the same series. It's all considered the same continuity, such as it is.

I will agree that the Spider episode was not the high point of the series so far, but they can't all be winners. My favorite of the "modern" run of the show was Capaldi's final season, but there were a couple of clunkers in there too. The one with the lost Roman Legion, for instance. And seriously, was the Spider episode any worse than the one where the Moon turned out to be an egg. Or the fact that through most of the Matt Smith episodes you had a lesbian Lizard woman, her human wife, and a butler that looked like Mr. Potato Head living in London and no one cared?

I don't know that Jodie will be remembered as a Bad Doctor either. So far, the new season has been doing well and the Doctors who are generally thought of as "bad doctors" are the ones who seemed to be at risk of killing the show or who actually did so (6 and 7)
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!