Welcome to the WORLD OF TOMMORROW!! The 20th Century!

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Welcome to the WORLD OF TOMMORROW!! The 20th Century!

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:43 am

MLB wants to expand replay to include fair-or-foul calls, "whether a fly ball or line drive was trapped" and fan interference all around the ballpark. Umpires still must give their approval and it's uncertain whether the extra replay will be in place by opening day.

Linklypoo
Welcome MLB! We have compact disks! We have music video! Cable television!! Spray cheese!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Evolver

Re: Welcome to the WORLD OF TOMMORROW!! The 20th Century!

Post by Evolver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Oh great. More long waits while the umps go into the dugout, watch the replay for a few seconds, then go to the Beckett Buffet for a bit of refreshments.
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 pm

As opposed to the waits where the manager waddles out to argue with the Other Fat Man for five minutes until he is ejected or, if the Collective of Fat Men decide to overturn What Everyone Knows with HD Replay on the Television and in the Stadium--if allowed--about five minutes ago, the extra-waits as the opposing manager waddles out to argue with the Collective of Fat Men until he is thrown out.

Hardly facetious. In The Game 6 [PBUI--Ed.], consider how much time it took for Terry Francona to walk out and argue that Belhorn's home run was a home run. While he argued, replay showed clearly it was. So the Fat Men gathered . . . time passes . . . they give the home run. So, of course, Joe Torre has to plod out to scream and rant a good minute or two.

Then see the subsequent McSlappy Play. Again, within SECONDS everyone in America who was NOT in the Toilet Bowl knew A-Fraud interfered with the play. Not only did they waste more than ten minutes with argument, the stadium full of felons, pedophiles, and, worst, New York Democrats exploded into a temper-tantrum that require riot police to calm down.

You can watch all of this on the DVDs of the game. It is all there. In . . . long . . . long . . . long detail.

MLB did not allow the Toilet Bowl to show the replay--MLB forbids showing replay of questionable plays because it might just show everyone the umpire was wrong, and he is not allowed to reverse based on replay.

So as far as the child raping lovers of Celine Dion and Al Sharpton and John "Manny Ortiz" Kerry were concerned, they were screwed not once but twice by the umps.

Granted. the child beating Ted Kennedy loving drunken RS fan everywhere chortled in utter glee until they had to change their underwear if it was not actually on their heads.

Since that time, I have paid particular attention to the time it takes to argue a play. Rarely do the umps reverse properly. In EVERY case the correct answer is available to the viewing audience immediately. Same feed that would be available to to umps.

Come to the 20th century . . . we have pie!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Umpires might be startled to find out that laser eye correction is available as well.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC

Post by RCC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 pm

If they want to open this box I think they should go whole hog and both use questech type tech for balls and strikes and also use replay for safe or out calls. Cricket does this.

Give each side something like three challenges per game, they only lose a challenge if they are wrong.

Hell, I'd go so far as to eliminate the duty of a home plate umpire to call balls and strikes and just use questech. Red light strike, green light ball. Baseball has very few true judgement calls compared to other sports, like fouls in basketball, holding in football, etc. You are out or safe. Ball or strike. Foul or fair. The human element could be almost eliminated.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:02 pm

There really is no justification for keeping in the "human element." The "human element" translates into "fuck it, we need a job!"

However, a few umpires have quietly and not so quietly sided with having replay since it removes the possibility of "becoming the next Don Denkinger."

One umpire was involved in the history of the game for the simple reason someone had to come to a decision. Competence was unnecessary, they often played favorites--or even feared getting their ass kicked by a team or the crowds--they were a product of necessity.

As it became clear one poor slob of questionable experience standing behind a catcher was not enough, they added umpires.

What do they do during playoff games? They add umpires. MLB admits they need "more eyes" on the field. Therefore, during the regular season, they have "less eyes" on the field. "Back in the day" you had no practical alternative.

We do now.

The eschatalogical proclamations of the Professional Luddites that replay on home runs would "slow down the game . . . forEVERs!!" has proven wrong. On the contrary, near nightly examples of missed calls that affect the game play on ESPN.

Now, once again, MLB could hide in the lack of technology. Viewers may know the call was botched, but not those in the stadium since questionable calls are not allowed to appear on "the big screens" that now adorn stadiums.

But now we have t3h WiFi with people able to watch the replay in the stands!

Times change, and we change with them.

--J.D.

RCC

Post by RCC » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm somewhat of a luddite. I think bad calls are part of the charm of the game, but I figure if you are going to do it go whole hog.

My only problem with it is something like this:

Nobody out, runner on first. Fly ball to left. Runner, as is SOP, goes half-way to second. Left fielder makes a diving attempt at the ball obscuring runner's view. Umpire signals safe. Runner goes to second.

Replay then shows the fielder caught the ball.

So, is the play wound back and considered dead at the time of the catch (as it would be in cricket) or do we allow the fielding team to pick off the runner for leaving early?

If the former, what about if at the same time a runner was on third and tagged up? Is he wound back?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Failure is never charming, though those with low expectations do not mind if they are robbed of higher achievement.

The same situation occurs if after a meeting of umpires after a LONG protest, the calling umpire is convinced the guy actually caught the ball. Not sure what the problem is. Nevertheless, had the runner observed the catch, one would rather presume he would quickly return to first. If not, he would be out. Thus he goes back to first.

One can make the simple complicated.

No one argues for perfection, we merely expect the better that is not only possible but practicable.

--J.D.

Evolver

Post by Evolver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I applaud the addition of more replays in baseball. But there should be a mechanism on the field for the umps to look at the video. Like in football. Having the entire officiating crew walk off the field just stops everything dead for those minutes. At least when the manager is yelling and screaming, something is happening on the field.
2016 & 2018 NFL "Sorry To Make You Cry" Challenge Champion

"Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there would be no religious people." - Dr. Gregory House

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm

There has been an unspoken realization that there is a lot of bad umpiring. To be fair, it is EASY to call a game in retrospect with multiple angles and slow motion. Back to football, you see critics taking apart a hit in slow motion an arguing about whether or not the defensive player led with his elbow or not. The play happens in real time ONCE.

In the old days, plays happened once. They were not televised. People at the stadium could CLAIM they saw something different, but where were the evidences?

Thanks.

Times change.

However, just as NFL replay does not involve dissecting EVERY down to see if there was holding, replay in MLB does not have to involve "balls and strikes." It can also be limited--one per team. If he gets it wrong, he gets no more. There will be complaints that managers may use it to get more time--to warm up a relief pitcher for example. This can be dealt with.

And it will not be perfect. It will take tweaking. But that is progress! Do not fear it! We have recordable video equipment!!

--J.D.

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm

RCC wrote:I'm somewhat of a luddite. I think bad calls are part of the charm of the game, but I figure if you are going to do it go whole hog.

My only problem with it is something like this:

Nobody out, runner on first. Fly ball to left. Runner, as is SOP, goes half-way to second. Left fielder makes a diving attempt at the ball obscuring runner's view. Umpire signals safe. Runner goes to second.

Replay then shows the fielder caught the ball.

So, is the play wound back and considered dead at the time of the catch (as it would be in cricket) or do we allow the fielding team to pick off the runner for leaving early?

If the former, what about if at the same time a runner was on third and tagged up? Is he wound back?
Solution I like: No replays if runners are on base.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:31 pm

No, replay will not remove gay and black people.

--J.D.