Would Even the LAKER Stoop This Low?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Would Even the LAKER Stoop This Low?

Post by Doctor X » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Lower than paying a rapist mil[Get on with it!--Ed.]

Right, for those who are not bless'd with having been spawn or spat into Obama's America, the LA Clippers are a unique team. They play in the same facility as the Lakers.

They have won nothing. They have been a perfect example of a team the ownership has been happy to just make enough money with a "fuck 'm" attitude to fans. I am unaware of any similar situation where one has such an example of a premier team and "red-headed step-child" in the same sport and city. The Mets have their own stadium--and have won a World Series--fuck you!

The Jets share with the fuck you Giants and did, once, win a Super Bowl. They have made the playoffs often fuck you.

Both the Black White Sox and Cubs had long periods of doom--the "doom" continues for the Cubs--but both teams have made it to playoffs, have devoted fans--whom hate one another.

The Clippers? Why would someone be a Clippers fan? "Because you hate ball-hogging rapists!" Sure . . . but then you have not seen the Clippers play.

The NBA is structured so that the worse teams get the top picks in the draft. The NBA is one sport where "one player" can dominate. This is why teams go in such extreme cycles--see Lebron in Cleveland. Where is Cleveland now? Where was it before? The Thing prequel even made fun of the Cavs. Yet, despite this yearly largess, the Clippers have had one winning season in the last ten years.

Heck, Celtics fans still laugh about sending a Then-Malcontent to the "nunnery" of the Clippers to get broken and lame . . . and stoned . . . Bill Walton who then won the Sixth Man Award.

But now the Clippers are winning games. They have a few good players--more than one. People are starting to take them seriously . . . no, actually, they are not but they have stopped guffawing and other teams have stopped marking their calender's with "Night Off" when they play them.

So, if you are the Clippers, and you have a devoted fan . . . a fan who makes Red Sox Pink Hats and MFY Fans blush at "exuberance" . . . what do you do?

You publicly humiliate him, of course:

Up until this season, fans of the Los Angeles Clippers have had little to root, what with the decades of losing, an owner who paid the largest out-of-court housing discrimination settlement ever (plus a whole lot of other incidents), and a general sense that the team only cared about making money. For 15 years, though, one man has devoted himself to the franchise with a passion that far outstrips his return on investment.

Clipper Darrell, who wears a ridiculously awesome (or awesomely ridiculous) blue-and-red suit and once organized a fan demonstration to woo LeBron James to Staples Center, is quite possibly the loudest and most passionate superfan in the NBA. This year, with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin leading the team to legitimate championship contention, he's finally seeing results on the court.

Most teams, given this situation, would celebrate their good fortune with their biggest fans, and possibly even reward them for years of loyalty. However, the Clippers operate by different rules. And so, in a move that makes very little sense to any observers, they've asked Clipper Darrell to drop the team association from his name and stop doing interviews related to the franchise.

Linkypoo

would even the Jets treat "Fireman Ed" with such disrespect? The Indians That-Guy-with-the-Drum?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Cloverlief

Re: Would Even the LAKER Stoop This Low?

Post by Cloverlief » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 am

I read that article and was appalled, and the guy is still a devoted fan. Even though the team has even released statements that basically paint this guy as only slightly better than a child rapist and during last season sold his seat to someone else. The Clippers are duches.
Chani

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 am

Man, why would anyone root for the Clippers if the owner treats their best fan like that?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:08 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Man, why would anyone root for the Clippers if the owner treats their best fan like that?

And as far as I know, he is not an asshole or something like that. If he was a whack-job--other than being a fan of the Clippers--I could understand. But they clearly encouraged the guy. Let him on the court. Now they want a higher quality fan? Feh!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Donald Sterling is a scumbag. In the decades past he never spent any money on the team. His advertising consisted of "Hey, we play at the same place as the Lakers do. We already get a cut out of all the luxury suites, anything else is just gravy. So fuck you fans." Not sure what happened in the past 5 years, but all of a sudden he cares and actually wants a winning team. They are a good coach and some role-player pieces away from a championship team.

Clipper Darrell is a great and wacky dude. The company I work for owns a luxury suite at Staples Center so I get to go to all the sporting events there. I've been to many, may Clippers games over the past 5 years. Darrell is always there, always loud (his voice can be heard in the whole arena, it's pretty amazing). He's been on local radio and TV stations for the past 10 years or so. His strategy of "branding" himself is nothing new. Especially since Clippers have not been doing anything with their brand until this year.

And that's where I think the problem comes in. Now that they have some semblance of a marketing department/person in their front office, they don't want anyone to dilute the brand. Unfortunately the brand's message to the fans has been nothing but "Fuck you pay me." I'm certain this public action against their most die hard fan does nothing to dispel that notion.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Ronin

Post by Ronin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 pm

The only reason I'm even remotely interested in the Clippers is Blake Griffin, a born and bred Okie. I don't really pay attention to the rest of the team. Thunder up.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 am

The Clippers are finally having a good year. In a first for the team, they have clinched their division, while it's not clear whether the Lakers will even make the playoffs this year.

Judging from his blog it seems that Clipper Darrell is still a fan.

http://clipperdarrell.com/

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/sport ... .html?_r=0
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 am

William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 am

I was wondering about starting a thread on it, but I had "things to do."

I am also "speechless" over the malignancy of this.

Well, guess I cannot root for the Clippers.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 am

If Marge Schott could be drummed out of baseball for saying racist things I don't see why this fuckhead can't be drummed out of basketball.
He was never even a good owner as far as trying to put together a competitive team anyway. I guess in recent years they finally became good enough to make the playoffs, but for the first three decades under his ownership they never were. He just wanted to pay his players the league minimum and take his share of the collective profits. Trying to win was never a goal of his.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:47 am

From what I was able to determine he has a history of discrimination--from his real estate, such as law suits galore over not renting to minorities, et cetera--so this is not a surprise. The stupidity is shocking, of course. However, I am hearing calls for a year's suspension and forced selling of the team.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:21 am

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z303MEfDvZ

The Los Angeles chapter of the National Assn. for the Advancement of Colored People had been scheduled to give Sterling the group's lifetime achievement award at its May 15 banquet.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... z303Mi5f4V

:lol:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:24 am

This is like a very, very bad joke.

Apparently his wife is suing his girlfriend and Sterling is claiming . . . that these are taken out of context and do not reflect his true feelings. As one black Sports Dude put it, at least Marge Schott was open about her racism to the point of displaying her Nazi memorabilia to the press.

This Cunt merits the:

ImageImageImage
Epic Face Palm

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 am

Apparently Bette Midler tweeted that Sterling should be stripped of his championship rings: "All zero of them." :)

--J.D.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 pm

corplinx wrote:http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

Kareem shames everyone.

Not really, he rushes in without facts like all those he criticizes.

For one, this conversation was taped with the knowledge of both parties, so there was nothing illegal in that record.
The other is that the previous lawsuits against him were settled, so while it was suspected Donald Sterling was a bigoted piece of shit there was no smoking gun like we have now.

I will agree that lynching Sterling in public before the tape is authenticated is not the healthiest thing for our society, but considering the lack of denial and outrage from Sterling's camp we can assume it's more real than not.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:23 am

The new commissioner hit a grand slam with his first at bat.

Buh-bye Cunt.

Not that anyone expects the owners to NOT go along with the force sale of the franchise, but whether or not they do does not alter the power of the commissioner to levy the life-time ban.

Good on you, Commish, and up yours David Stern who took more interest in protecting corrupt officiating.

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri May 02, 2014 10:39 am

I kept wondering how a guy like this gets awards from the NAACP.

(Newser) – The NAACP president who planned to honor Clippers owner Donald Sterling with a lifetime achievement award—and said the organization could forgive his racist remarks—has decided to step down. "The legacy, history and reputation of the NAACP is more important to me than the presidency," Leon Jenkins said in a statement explaining his resignation as president of the Los Angeles chapter. The chapter, which plans to return $45,000 it received in donations for Sterling, honored him with a similar award in 2009, USA Today notes. The national NAACP says it is now "developing guidelines for its branches to help them in their award selection process."
http://www.newser.com/story/186252/naac ... honor.html

They sell their awards. 'Cept now they have guidelines.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 02, 2014 3:11 pm

The Stephen A. Smith rant on this: "How do you get two 'life-time achievement awards?!'" is hilarious and apt. In it he "takes my people to task" on this very issue since the racism of Sterling was not exactly a well-kept secret in the business community. The sad truth of this is an organization like . . . well . . . The NAACP should have been on the forefront of this years ago.

I liked his response to a Boston Sports Dudes' "Are you going to get blow-back from this?"

Smith: Yes. And when I care I will give you a call.

:)

--J.D.

Harikrish
BANNED

Post by Harikrish » Sat May 03, 2014 2:23 am

Doctor X wrote:The new commissioner hit a grand slam with his first at bat.

Buh-bye Cunt.

Not that anyone expects the owners to NOT go along with the force sale of the franchise, but whether or not they do does not alter the power of the commissioner to levy the life-time ban.

Good on you, Commish, and up yours David Stern who took more interest in protecting corrupt officiating.

--J.D.

You got to be kidding. The sport is basketball not baseball, no bats involved You blind fuck.