The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge IX

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Challenge IX

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 am

Well, I finished better than Dr. X, which always makes me feel better.

Thanks Doc!

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 am

Doctor X wrote:I never felt he was, but he was "entering the conversation."

Now?

Nope.

--J.D.

The "Greatest Of All Time" discussion is entirely too subjective and how one can hope to objectively judge this is ill defined IMO. People tend to be biased towards those players that were great in eras when they were growing up, or only focus on something like SB wins. If we're judging purely by the number of SB championships, then Manning absolutely could not be considered the greatest. It would have to be Joe Montana or Terry Bradshaw, closely followed by Tom Brady etc. all of whom were beneficiaries of having very good supporting casts outside of the QB position. Sports like basketball, baseball, and hockey have insanely long seasons that allow players and teams to go through hot and cold spells, and I think it's easier to judge a player's "greatness" by the number of rings they have. In the NFL, yes championships are important, but I think you have to consider the entire body of work given how short the season is by comparison to other sports.

I find it a bit unfair to judge a single person for what is ultimately a team sport. QBs can't play defense and, while certain QBs are better than others of improving the play of surrounding teammates, they are still only as good as their receivers and offensive line. People like to dog Tony Romo for constantly choking, but if he were in the league and the QB of the Patriots in the early 2000's there's a good chance we'd be talking about all of his SB wins and how great he is. The same would god Manning if he was the Patriots QB at the time. If looking at his entire body of work, I would consider him among the greats, as I would Dan Marino. Generally speaking, the teams he's been on were not exactly known for their stellar defenses, nor could one consider his receiving corps stacked like it was this year.

Getting to this SB, Seattle won primarily because of stellar defense and special teams play. Manning had very little time because the offensive line couldn't protect him effectively, and Seattle just completely shut down his receivers. Yes, he had a horrible game. So did the rest of the team.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:50 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:The "Greatest Of All Time" discussion is entirely too subjective and how one can hope to objectively judge this is ill defined IMO. People tend to be biased towards those players that were great in eras when they were growing up, or only focus on something like SB wins.

Exactly. I love Joe Montana. However, other than his SB wins, he had not nearly as good a post-season career as Brady. But did he ever play as badly as Tom did in a SB?

Further, rules change. Players have greater training opportunities and Image "supplements."

Sports like basketball, baseball, and hockey have insanely long seasons that allow players and teams to go through hot and cold spells, and I think it's easier to judge a player's "greatness" by the number of rings they have. In the NFL, yes championships are important, but I think you have to consider the entire body of work given how short the season is by comparison to other sports.

Exactly, exactly. Another major factor is injuries. Sure, injuries can affect MBL around playoffs, but teams have the opportunity to replace a player, or the player may actually recover. With NFL one or two injuries can sink a team.

People like to dog Tony Romo for constantly choking, but if he were in the league and the QB of the Patriots in the early 2000's there's a good chance we'd be talking about all of his SB wins and how great he is. The same would god Manning if he was the Patriots QB at the time.

Eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . . Romo makes some very bad decisions at very, very bad times. Sure all QBs suffer from this, but Romo has made a career of it. However, it is true that His Belichickness' approach to free agents cost the Pats a SB--should have beaten Indy in 2006. If Caldwell could actually catch a ball. . . .

Did Montana have any decent receivers?

Getting to this SB, Seattle won primarily because of stellar defense and special teams play. Manning had very little time because the offensive line couldn't protect him effectively, and Seattle just completely shut down his receivers. Yes, he had a horrible game. So did the rest of the team.

I have to say I have not seen a defense rape an offense like that since . . . well . . . the Pats did it to Indy back when the Pats had a defense. Seriously, though, this was even better. Got to give them credit, they utterly dominated Denver. As one Sports Dude put it, Seattle dominated "all three phases of the game"--offense, defense, special teams. I have been told Peyton set some record for completions. I did not notice.

Denver "choked" in that they started playing as if they were stunned. Okay, a guy tips a ball and you have a pick-6. That sucks for you. But the run-back to begin the second half? I mean . . . really? Not to take away from the returner, but did any of the Denver special teams actually get a hit on him?

The observation "it was not as close as the score implies" rather applies to this game.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

bcurnutte

Postby bcurnutte » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 pm

birds to lose

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Wrong thread, dipshit. Get with the program. :D
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Sports & Recreation”