Get over yourself, Johnny Football

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Cool Hand

Re: Get over yourself, Johnny Football

Postby Cool Hand » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:You sure told him?

No, just happy to see him get his comeuppance. The guy is slippery as hell in the pocket, but Auburn's defense sacked him twice. Them's good eatin'.

CH

Comeuppances for what?

He's a dick, or haven't you heard or read any talk about him as a person? He's sort of the modern day version of Broadway Joe, only with any of the charm or charisma.

CH

That sums up most college athletes in Division I.

The fact that this dude got under your skin is hilarious.

Do you follow college football? If you do, then you should recognize that my reaction to him is mild at best in comparison to most fans around here. College football in these parts is serious business. You may think I'm suggesting that in jest, but I'm not. It's not for nothing that Nick Saban is paid more than $5 mil a year, not to mention his endorsements for Ford, etc.

What I find hilarious is the attention paid to NFL games. You should attend your typical Sunday afternoon NFL game and then attend a typical Saturday afternoon big game in the SEC, particularly at Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia. I've been to all three stadiums, and there's nothing like it. A Titans game in Nashville, by comparison, was almost as tepid an event as watching a high school football game around here on a Friday night. Not to mention that the girl watching (including in the stands) at an SEC football game is spectacular.

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:42 pm

Cool Hand wrote:Do you follow college football? If you do, then you should recognize that my reaction to him is mild at best in comparison to most fans around here. College football in these parts is serious business. You may think I'm suggesting that in jest, but I'm not. It's not for nothing that Nick Saban is paid more than $5 mil a year, not to mention his endorsements for Ford, etc.

I follow college football a bit, nothing crazy but I know who top teams are and some match ups. Other than the controversy in the beginning of the season, the news about Johnny has been quiet. There was the autograph thing he mimed to some player, but once again, that was the beginning of the season and I have not seen him doing similar things since. To me it seems you are singling him out because he is not in Alabama and is in fact a threat to Alabama.

What I find hilarious is the attention paid to NFL games. You should attend your typical Sunday afternoon NFL game and then attend a typical Saturday afternoon big game in the SEC, particularly at Alabama, Auburn, or Georgia. I've been to all three stadiums, and there's nothing like it. A Titans game in Nashville, by comparison, was almost as tepid an event as watching a high school football game around here on a Friday night. Not to mention that the girl watching (including in the stands) at an SEC football game is spectacular.
CH

I've actually never been to an NFL game. There are no NFL teams in LA and the few opportunities I had to watch them in near by cities were too inconvenient at the time.

I have not been to an SEC game, however I have been to area college team games (UCLA and USC). I've also attended a Notre Dame game in Notre Dame. I realize how people feel about these things and I still find it hilarious that this dude got under your skin.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

jacks
Title: double dipshit

Postby jacks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:57 am

You need to sharpen your stick grammy , don't seem to be getting the rise you're after.
Last edited by jacks on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

jacks wrote:You need to sharpen your stick grammy , don't seem to be getting the rise your after.

I am not trolling, if that's what you are implying. Of all the College Football controversies over the years this is the one that made CH create this post. I just find that amusing.

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Grammatron wrote:
jacks wrote:You need to sharpen your stick grammy , don't seem to be getting the rise your after.

I am not trolling, if that's what you are implying. Of all the College Football controversies over the years this is the one that made CH create this post. I just find that amusing.

You misunderstand. It's not whatever controversy you are referencing (is it the autographing thing?). It's his cocky hot shit attitude. He's a poor sport because he gloats and boasts. That's what I don't like about the guy. There's nothing more to it than that.

Compare with Mark Ingram, the running back from Alabama (by way of Michigan) who won the Heisman four years ago. He was awesome on the field and dominated play, but he didn't ever brag or boast, and he always credited his teammates and coaches and the fans in post game interviews. That's a good sport and a gracious winner. The dude cried on national TV when he won the Heisman, and those were genuine tears of joy and humility.

I don't like Johnny Football because he's a dick, nothing more to it than that.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

You misunderstand. It's not whatever controversy you are referencing (is it the autographing thing?). It's his cocky hot shit attitude. He's a poor sport because he gloats and boasts. That's what I don't like about the guy. There's nothing more to it than that.

Compare with Mark Ingram, the running back from Alabama (by way of Michigan) who won the Heisman four years ago. He was awesome on the field and dominated play, but he didn't ever brag or boast, and he always credited his teammates and coaches and the fans in post game interviews. That's a good sport and a gracious winner. The dude cried on national TV when he won the Heisman, and those were genuine tears of joy and humility.

CH

Maybe you have not come across many college level and professional athletes. The cocky, hot-shit, worship me attitude is average (if not overwhelming). Which is why I do not know why you are singling him out. Is it just because he played Alabama and lost?

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

CH

Maybe you have not come across many college level and professional athletes. The cocky, hot-shit, worship me attitude is average (if not overwhelming). Which is why I do not know why you are singling him out. Is it just because he played Alabama and lost?

Ah, you are not familiar with Alabama football then. The players at Alabama are definitely not cut from the cocky, hot-shit, worship me cloth. They are not allowed to behave like that and play at Alabama. Guys that do that get booted or do not play. The head coaches have enforced that code since Bear Bryant took over in 1958. Saban is like that too. He doesn't put up with players' bullshit. He wouldn't have Johnny Football in his program if he behaved like that, even if it cost his a game or three.

At Alabama, it is drilled into their heads every day and twice on Sunday that every play is a team effort. No points for showboating. Play for your teammates. Keep your head in the game because your teammates are counting on you.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

CH

Ah, you are not familiar with Alabama football then. The players at Alabama are definitely not cut from the cocky, hot-shit, worship me cloth. They are not allowed to behave like that and play at Alabama. Guys that do that get booted or do not play. The head coaches have enforced that code since Bear Bryant took over in 1958. Saban is like that too. He doesn't put up with players' bullshit. He wouldn't have Johnny Football in his program if he behaved like that, even if it cost his a game or three.

At Alabama, it is drilled into their heads every day and twice on Sunday that every play is a team effort. No points for showboating. Play for your teammates. Keep your head in the game because your teammates are counting on you.

CH

It's something that's not really seen here, either. Granted, it's been awhile since OU has won a championship, and the Big 12 as a whole looks like shit this year, but Stoops does not put up with such things from his players, either. Every now and then you hear of a player getting in trouble in Norman (I don't know why a player would think they could get away with ANYTHING in Norman, those cops are the biggest pricks on the face of the planet), and every time those players are dealt with. Recently a player got in trouble and arrested for jacking it in public. Stoops immediately and indefinitely removed him from the program (translation--that player's OU career is done).

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Manziel has probably shot his future NFL career in the foot. Dumbass.

On yesterday's Jumbotron at the Texas A&M game, they showed excerpts from an interview with Johnny Manziel in which he reveals he would like to "party" with Charlie Sheen, Tiger Woods, and Rob Gronkowski. So?

So, that's not really smart if you're trying to impress NFL scouts who are looking at you to be a professional quarterback they are paying tens of millions of dollars for. What they likely hear in that statement and attitude is that you care more about being a rock star than a professional football player whose job it is to show up each Sunday afternoon to win games. Think of that in the context of something you might say in a job interview. Think that impresses the interviewer?

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9888636

I repeat. He's an asshole.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 am

Cool Hand wrote:Manziel has probably shot his future NFL career in the foot. Dumbass.

On yesterday's Jumbotron at the Texas A&M game, they showed excerpts from an interview with Johnny Manziel in which he reveals he would like to "party" with Charlie Sheen, Tiger Woods, and Rob Gronkowski. So?

So, that's not really smart if you're trying to impress NFL scouts who are looking at you to be a professional quarterback they are paying tens of millions of dollars for. What they likely hear in that statement and attitude is that you care more about being a rock star than a professional football player whose job it is to show up each Sunday afternoon to win games. Think of that in the context of something you might say in a job interview. Think that impresses the interviewer?

CH

See CH, this is exactly my point. If you honestly think every organization in NFL would pass on him strictly because he said that, you can't possibly be any more wrong. The organization who need a quality position players will overlook everything up to murder allegation. Hanging out with Tiger Woods and Charlie Sheen? Hell, that might be a positive for some recruiters.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 am

Well, to be fair, that the Oakland Raiders would sign him is not exactly an "endorsement for excellence."

I mean . . . they have been inquiring about the possibility for parole on Aaron Hernandez and Rae Carruth. . . .

--J. "Just WIN Baby!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 am

Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:Manziel has probably shot his future NFL career in the foot. Dumbass.

CH

See CH, this is exactly my point. If you honestly think every organization in NFL would pass on him strictly because he said that, you can't possibly be any more wrong. The organization who need a quality position players will overlook everything up to murder allegation. Hanging out with Tiger Woods and Charlie Sheen? Hell, that might be a positive for some recruiters.

Well, you obviously didn't watch the video in which two former marquis college quarterbacks essentially said the same thing I did.

I'll grant you that maybe there are some NFL scouts that might be willing to overlook his party proclivities, but chances are he's just cost himself millions of dollars in the future. Why? Because at least some of those scouts willing to engage in a bidding war over him are likely turned off by his priorities and are not willing to commit tens of millions of their organization's dollars to a guy who seems less than committed to being a pro QB and more committed to living the life of a rock star.

Here's some contrast for some perspective. Take Nick Saban, a man with a Herculean work ethic. When the guy is not coaching, he's out recruiting high school prospects to come play for him. He's also a dad to minor children.

Earlier last week, Gary Danielson and Vern Lundquist, long time CBS sports broadcasters and former football players, spent some time with Nick in Tuscaloosa before Alabama played (and clobbered) Tennessee this Saturday. They asked Nick about next week's bye week before Alabama plays LSU and how the timing was perfect to allow Nick to go trick or treating with his kids on Thursday night.

His answer? "Sorry, guys, but I'll be on the road recruiting."

That's the kind of work ethic that produces a world class football team. It's not magic. It's his dedication and work ethic than wins. Johnny Football is winning at Texas A&M on pure talent and ability right now. He lacks the same work ethic Saban has, and that point is not lost on NFL scouts and general managers. Also, he's lying his ass off about his height, claiming to be 6 feet tall. Bullshit. That guy is maybe 5'9", 5'10" at best, and about 180-185 lbs. He's not big enough for the NFL in 2014.

You're wrong, again, Grammy.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Cool Hand wrote:
Well, you obviously didn't watch the video in which two former marquis college quarterbacks essentially said the same thing I did.

No need to, my point would remain the same.
I'll grant you that maybe there are some NFL scouts that might be willing to overlook his party proclivities, but chances are he's just cost himself millions of dollars in the future. Why? Because at least some of those scouts willing to engage in a bidding war over him are likely turned off by his priorities and are not willing to commit tens of millions of their organization's dollars to a guy who seems less than committed to being a pro QB and more committed to living the life of a rock star.

Because an NFL team has to win games. St. Louis Rams tried to get Farve to come back to QB the team because the availability of solid QBs is incredibly slim. If Manziel can show that he can play in the NFL system there will be a "bidding war" over him, and most of his short comings and frailties will be overlooked.
Here's some contrast for some perspective. Take Nick Saban, a man with a Herculean work ethic. When the guy is not coaching, he's out recruiting high school prospects to come play for him. He's also a dad to minor children.

K.
Earlier last week, Gary Danielson and Vern Lundquist, long time CBS sports broadcasters and former football players, spent some time with Nick in Tuscaloosa before Alabama played (and clobbered) Tennessee this Saturday. They asked Nick about next week's bye week before Alabama plays LSU and how the timing was perfect to allow Nick to go trick or treating with his kids on Thursday night.

His answer? "Sorry, guys, but I'll be on the road recruiting."

K
That's the kind of work ethic that produces a world class football team. It's not magic. It's his dedication and work ethic than wins. Johnny Football is winning at Texas A&M on pure talent and ability right now. He lacks the same work ethic Saban has, and that point is not lost on NFL scouts and general managers. Also, he's lying his ass off about his height, claiming to be 6 feet tall. Bullshit. That guy is maybe 5'9", 5'10" at best, and about 180-185 lbs. He's not big enough for the NFL in 2014.

That last part (about the height) sounds like petty bullshit and without evidence it makes your points less valid.
You're wrong, again, Grammy.

CH

Maybe, but we will see not too long from now during the NFL draft.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

/peanut gallery/
IIRC AFAIK in high school and college sports, nobody likes a hot dog. If a player is talented enough and charismatic enough and has sufficient leadership skills he might be able to get the rest of the team to "play along," so to speak. If he's talented and has charisma but has the leadership skills of a garden slug, he may find himself at the mercy of the opposing team's defensive linemen, because his blockers might decide to educate him about the importance of teamwork by not protecting his hot dog ass.

I haven't watched any Johnny Football in action so I have no idea if he's a hot dog or not. I'm just talking general principles here, Boss.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Pyrrho wrote:/peanut gallery/
IIRC AFAIK in high school and college sports, nobody likes a hot dog. If a player is talented enough and charismatic enough and has sufficient leadership skills he might be able to get the rest of the team to "play along," so to speak. If he's talented and has charisma but has the leadership skills of a garden slug, he may find himself at the mercy of the opposing team's defensive linemen, because his blockers might decide to educate him about the importance of teamwork by not protecting his hot dog ass.

I haven't watched any Johnny Football in action so I have no idea if he's a hot dog or not. I'm just talking general principles here, Boss.

I can't disagree with that.

Johnny Football is getting all this attention because he is the only freshman to win the Heisman Trophy and he got in trouble for selling autographs and subsequently miming signing to an opposing player. However, I have not see him throw his team under the bus nor suggest he is the team and he is carrying the rest of them.

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:

No need to, my point would remain the same.

Dude, that's why I put this link to the video in there. I got the idea from them. They made the point that it showed really bad judgment on Manziel's part to say those things in the first place if he's hoping to have a career in the NFL, and it was incredibly stupid of the PR folks at A&M to allow those quotes to be displayed on the Jumbotron at their own home stadium during a televised home game.

They also said that those kind of things tend to turn off NFL scouts and GMs. I didn't make that shit up. The inference I added is that I think the reason those things might turn off scouts and GMs is because they don't want to commit to a multi-year contract for tens of millions of dollars for a marquis quarterback who just wants to be a rock star and not a workhorse committed to playing the game and winning. Are you not getting that point?

Because an NFL team has to win games. St. Louis Rams tried to get Farve to come back to QB the team because the availability of solid QBs is incredibly slim. If Manziel can show that he can play in the NFL system there will be a "bidding war" over him, and most of his short comings and frailties will be overlooked.

Well, that's the whole rub, isn't it? Can he play in the NFL system? With the caliber of athleticism in the NFL today, I contend that you can't be partying with Charlie Sheen on Friday or Saturday night and playing top notch football on Sunday every week. They are mutually incompatible. So the question is really, "Is Manziel serious about committing to playing NFL level football, or does he care more to be like his idol Charlie Tiger Blood Sheen and hang out with supermodels on his arm?"

Sure, Tom Brady married a supermodel, but he shows up and does the work and has won three Super Bowl rings. Manziel hasn't earned that right yet.

That last part (about the height) sounds like petty bullshit and without evidence it makes your points less valid.

It's not petty bullshit. It's directly relevant to whether or not he can play in the NFL. I'm sure you've noticed the trend among QBs is to be taller and bigger than ever. They have to be these days in order to see over the O-line and defenders to their receivers down field. Also, they need to be big because defensive ends and linemen are fucking huge and will kill little guys, even ones who scramble like nobody's business, as he does.

Evidence on his height? Watch any televised game and compare him to other players on the field. Also, look at Manziel's head in relation to Nick Saban's head while they are standing next to each other in the pic in the first post. Saban is 5'9" and 170 lbs. There is no fucking way Manziel is taller than him by more than an inch, if that. Manziel is too small to play QB the NFL. Is that being petty about his character? Hell no. It has nothing to do with it. It does have everything to do with his prospects as a QB in the NFL, however, which is the context in which I brought it up. I didn't do it to be petty; I did it because it is relevant to whether he has a future in the NFL. Obviously he recognized its relevance too, or he wouldn't be lying about his height. He claims to be 6 feet tall. Again, look at the photo with 5'9" Saban and tell me with a straight face that Manziel is 3 inches taller than him.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Cool Hand wrote:Evidence on his height? Watch any televised game and compare him to other players on the field. Also, look at Manziel's head in relation to Nick Saban's head while they are standing next to each other in the pic in the first post. Saban is 5'9" and 170 lbs. There is no fucking way Manziel is taller than him by more than an inch, if that. Manziel is too small to play QB the NFL. Is that being petty about his character? Hell no. It has nothing to do with it. It does have everything to do with his prospects as a QB in the NFL, however, which is the context in which I brought it up. I didn't do it to be petty; I did it because it is relevant to whether he has a future in the NFL. Obviously he recognized its relevance too, or he wouldn't be lying about his height. He claims to be 6 feet tall. Again, look at the photo with 5'9" Saban and tell me with a straight face that Manziel is 3 inches taller than him.

CH

Seriously? You want to use video and photographs of unknown perspective and manipulation as evidence? Disappointing.

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:/peanut gallery/

I can't disagree with that.

Johnny Football is getting all this attention because he is the only freshman to win the Heisman Trophy and he got in trouble for selling autographs and subsequently miming signing to an opposing player. However, I have not see him throw his team under the bus nor suggest he is the team and he is carrying the rest of them.

He is getting all this attention (the same that he got last year, Grammy) because he is so fucking good on the field. I've watched world class college football all my life, and I've never seen anyone as quick as him or with the kind of sixth sense about how to break tackles and know everything that is going on down field.

It is true that winning the Heisman as a freshman increases his stock and the interest in him, but let me tell you buddy, he was getting tons of attention from the college football world last year, especially after he and his team (although largely it was him) beat Alabama last November.

He deserves the attention for his skills and talent. I've never questioned his ability or prowess. He's phenomenal.

He has suggested he's not a team player. It was well publicized earlier this summer that he had Tweeted that he hated playing at College Station and couldn't wait to get out of there. Not cool to bite the hand that feeds you, at least not publicly.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9392987/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-tweets-wait-leave-college-station

he Twitter account of Texas A&M Aggies sophomore quarterback Johnny Manziel has made news before. Early Sunday morning, a deleted tweet caused a bit of a stir.

According to a Dallas Morning News report, Manziel tweeted, "Bulls--- like tonight is a reason why I can't wait to leave college station...whenever it may be.

While we don't know why Johnny Football decided to tweet his frustrations to his 360,000-plus followers, maybe it's time for Manziel to lay low until August rolls around, Edward Aschoff writes.

The post was deleted shortly thereafter but was followed up by what appeared to be a related tweet. It read, "Don't ever forget that I love A&M with all of my heart, but please please walk a day in my shoes."

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Cool Hand

Postby Cool Hand » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Cool Hand wrote:Evidence on his height? Watch any televised game and compare him to other players on the field. Also, look at Manziel's head in relation to Nick Saban's head while they are standing next to each other in the pic in the first post. Saban is 5'9" and 170 lbs. There is no fucking way Manziel is taller than him by more than an inch, if that. Manziel is too small to play QB the NFL. Is that being petty about his character? Hell no. It has nothing to do with it. It does have everything to do with his prospects as a QB in the NFL, however, which is the context in which I brought it up. I didn't do it to be petty; I did it because it is relevant to whether he has a future in the NFL. Obviously he recognized its relevance too, or he wouldn't be lying about his height. He claims to be 6 feet tall. Again, look at the photo with 5'9" Saban and tell me with a straight face that Manziel is 3 inches taller than him.

CH

Seriously? You want to use video and photographs of unknown perspective and manipulation as evidence? Disappointing.

Oh, for fuck's sake, Grammy, have you even watched the guy play live on television? I have, and after a couple of dozen hours of live, unmanipulated TV video watching, it's clear he's much shorter than he claims.

CH

"Time" -- Pink Floyd

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Cool Hand wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

CH

Oh, for fuck's sake, Grammy, have you even watched the guy play live on television? I have, and after a couple of dozen hours of live, unmanipulated TV video watching, it's clear he's much shorter than he claims.

CH

The only way to show his height is go up to him with a ruler. Everything else is speculation.

The whole height thing and being good in the NFL is not something I entirely agree with personally, but that's a different conversation all together.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”