What are you meatbags playing?

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
mooseypops

Postby mooseypops » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:41 pm

Chaos wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
mooseypops wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I haven't bought a new game in a long time either. I recently pulled out Caesar III, and am playing as Governor Biggus Dickus ("My best fwiend in Wome is cawwed Bigguth Dickuth..."), I tried to get Chani, when she plays, to name her governor Incontinentia, but she just won't go for it.

Caesar III is a great game. I can always find ways to refine my play and improve from previous times, even playing the same cities.

Oh yeah, Casear 3. Did you ever play Casesar 2? I never mastered that, because every single game I played there was a voice telling me over and over "Plebs are needed". Very loud. Very annoying.

Nope, never played Caesar II. That voice sounds like it would be annoying though. Sounds sorta like in the first Gangsters game when you would get a pop up report on your screen anytime anyone saw a rival gangster. It made the game a bitch to manage.

I actually like Pharoah, which is a similar game but set in Egypt (as if you couldn't guess from the title) , better than Caesar III, but alas, my disk got lost.

Zeus is the same for ancient Greece - and it really rocks.

You have seven campaigns:
Zeus and Europa (found the city of Thebes and rescue Europa, who has been abducted by Zeus)
Perseus and Medusa (set in 3000 BC - found the first city in Greece and show the Greeks what they can achieve with cooperation)
Athens through the times (the title kind of speaks for itself - defeat Minos of Knossos, the Persians, and the Spartans)
The travels of Iason (loosely follows the Argonaut saga)
The works of Hercules (support the hero in doing said works)
The war of the Peloponnes (bring Sparta back to a position of power)
The Trojan war (mostly involves the prelude and preparations of that war)

And Pharoah has the Cleopatra expansion, and Zeus has the Poseidon expansion. Poseidon rules, cause it adds in the development of Atlantis! Orichalchum mining is fun. The only complaint I have with Pharoah is my pyramids always take too long to build. But it's a lot of fun other than that. Wasn't there a multiplayer game about china also released?

Prester John

Postby Prester John » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:46 pm

Just reloaded neverwinter nights, think i'll buy the second expansion later this week. Single player and online fun all in one!

Aoidoi

Postby Aoidoi » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:33 pm

Actually, on a lark last night I tried installing some of the "ultimate RPG collection" I've had lying around. Ultima Underworld I & II didn't work, but I got wasteland and Bard's Tale II running. I'll probably get bored with them again pretty quickly, but it's fun to go back and mess with old games sometimes.
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."
- Scott Adams, "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment"

Chaos

Postby Chaos » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:49 pm

Aoidoi wrote:Actually, on a lark last night I tried installing some of the "ultimate RPG collection" I've had lying around. Ultima Underworld I & II didn't work, but I got wasteland and Bard's Tale II running. I'll probably get bored with them again pretty quickly, but it's fun to go back and mess with old games sometimes.

I have that one, too. I´m amazed that even some of the games will run on today´s computers.
Try to get Wizardry Gold running, it´s the best of the package.

And you´re right about the old games. I still have and ancient 386DX/40 computer standing around somewhere, mainly gathering dust - but once in a while I dust it off, to play the really old classics - Colonization, Siege, Might&Magic 3, Ultima 5, X-Wing, XCOM - Enemy Unknown, Populous I+II... *eyes glaze over with nostalgia*
"Woo-woo is as woo-woo does, to paraphrase Forrest Gump."
-Nyarlathotep

"Dreams are merely the cloaks we use when we wish to escape reality for a short time."
-Nigel

I don´t suffer from meglomania. I enjoy it thoroughly.
-Me

LostAngeles

Postby LostAngeles » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:58 pm

Prester John wrote:Just reloaded neverwinter nights, think i'll buy the second expansion later this week. Single player and online fun all in one!

I can't believe how fundamentally fun NWN is. I've tooled about in the second expansion and it's really just kinda... Wow.

Hexxenhammer

Postby Hexxenhammer » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:18 pm

Chaos wrote: And you´re right about the old games. I still have and ancient 386DX/40 computer standing around somewhere, mainly gathering dust - but once in a while I dust it off, to play the really old classics - Colonization, Siege, Might&Magic 3, Ultima 5, X-Wing, XCOM - Enemy Unknown, Populous I+II... *eyes glaze over with nostalgia*

What was great about X-Com (the first two anyway I think) was that I knew how to edit my characters in hexidecimal. So all of my characters would have stats that were higher than they were even supposed to go at maximum. They'd have Snap-shot percentages of like 130%. I figured out how give myself billions of dollars too. Made the game a lot more fun.
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Aoidoi

Postby Aoidoi » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:40 pm

Chaos wrote:I have that one, too. I´m amazed that even some of the games will run on today´s computers.
I'm running XP, and run the games in a command window. IIRC, the command window at this point is literally a DOS emulator, so I think it's pretty much impossible to tell if anything will work in it or not.

btw, installer wouldn't work, had to manually copy files in.

Try to get Wizardry Gold running, it´s the best of the package.
odd, back when I tried it (and was running Wi 95 or 98) it was actually my least favorite. Combat took forever to resolve, the mix of sci-fi and fantasy didn't work for me, and the dozens of classes available made putting a party together a complete act of guesswork. Didn't get very far into it, either. Just didn't work for me. :?

Colonization, Siege, Might&Magic 3, Ultima 5, X-Wing, XCOM - Enemy Unknown, Populous I+II... *eyes glaze over with nostalgia*
Hmmm... Ultima 5 I missed, it was the one with the shard things, right? Played a lot of the other ultimas, up through 7. 8 was awful, and I heard such bad things about 9 I didn't try it. M&M 3 was good, also have World of Xeen and whatever, which are passable if not as good. Played a lot of X-wing. X-Com were great, though the 2nd one (underwater one) got HARD. Man, those little floaty spaceship looking guys that blew up when you killed them (unless you used a vibroblade), the brain guys that take over your guys, I always gave up before I actually got to the final base. But it was fun :P
Last edited by Aoidoi on Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Skeptics," he said, "suffer from the skeptics' disease-- the problem of being right too often."

ManfredVonRichthoffen

Postby ManfredVonRichthoffen » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:01 pm

I dusted off return to castle wolfenstein recently. It made me laugh that after you got shot, you ate a turkey dinner to heal yourself.

Aoidoi

Postby Aoidoi » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:54 pm

Turkey, the sovereign remedy. ;)

Chaos

Postby Chaos » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:10 am

Hexxenhammer wrote:
Chaos wrote: And you´re right about the old games. I still have and ancient 386DX/40 computer standing around somewhere, mainly gathering dust - but once in a while I dust it off, to play the really old classics - Colonization, Siege, Might&Magic 3, Ultima 5, X-Wing, XCOM - Enemy Unknown, Populous I+II... *eyes glaze over with nostalgia*

What was great about X-Com (the first two anyway I think) was that I knew how to edit my characters in hexidecimal. So all of my characters would have stats that were higher than they were even supposed to go at maximum. They'd have Snap-shot percentages of like 130%. I figured out how give myself billions of dollars too. Made the game a lot more fun.

Cheater! :P

I finished the first and third XCOM without cheating, and even with cheating I only got halfway through the second.

odd, back when I tried it (and was running Wi 95 or 9 it was actually my least favorite. Combat took forever to resolve, the mix of sci-fi and fantasy didn't work for me, and the dozens of classes available made putting a party together a complete act of guesswork. Didn't get very far into it, either. Just didn't work for me.

I only ever got to the caves beneath Murkatos´ chambers in Orkogre Castle. And it still was lots of fun.
Try the following party:
Human Lord
Felpurr Samurai
Gnome Ninja
Dwarf Monk
Human Priest
Elf Wizard

You have
6 out of 6 characters with spellcaster abilities (although only Priest and Wizard can use them right away)
4 out of 4 kinds of magic covered
2 characters with Hide ability
3 character with Critical Hit ability
and you can use practically any item you find (except that for Valkyries, unless your Lord or Samurai are female)
"Woo-woo is as woo-woo does, to paraphrase Forrest Gump."

-Nyarlathotep

"Dreams are merely the cloaks we use when we wish to escape reality for a short time."

-Nigel

I don´t suffer from meglomania. I enjoy it thoroughly.

-Me

Faustina

Postby Faustina » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:33 pm

mooseypops wrote:And Pharoah has the Cleopatra expansion, and Zeus has the Poseidon expansion. Poseidon rules, cause it adds in the development of Atlantis! Orichalchum mining is fun. The only complaint I have with Pharoah is my pyramids always take too long to build. But it's a lot of fun other than that. Wasn't there a multiplayer game about china also released?

Yep, that was Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom. All the Sierra/Impressions city building games rock, hubby and I have played 'em all through several times. I haven't played the multiplayer Emperor though, as I am cursed with dial-up.

For some reason, I really get a kick out of creating the little goats and sheep in Zeus.

mooseypops

Postby mooseypops » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:31 am

Faustina wrote:
mooseypops wrote:And Pharoah has the Cleopatra expansion, and Zeus has the Poseidon expansion. Poseidon rules, cause it adds in the development of Atlantis! Orichalchum mining is fun. The only complaint I have with Pharoah is my pyramids always take too long to build. But it's a lot of fun other than that. Wasn't there a multiplayer game about china also released?

Yep, that was Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom. All the Sierra/Impressions city building games rock, hubby and I have played 'em all through several times. I haven't played the multiplayer Emperor though, as I am cursed with dial-up.

For some reason, I really get a kick out of creating the little goats and sheep in Zeus.

Wow, I just love right clicking and seeing the names and hearing what people have to say. I *loved* the actors names in Caesar 3! Wow, what a great series.

Tell you another game I *loved* was Theme Park when Bullfrog released it back in '95. That was another great game where one of the features was that you could "ride" the ride. Haven't seen that done since.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”