The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:35 am

Keeping a list of potential tweaks. I have wanted to add some bit of prop betting--like betting how many coaches get fired. So here be a place to make suggestions.

ThiosyanlysomethingMordre(a)d: Prediction of the number of head coaches that are fired at the end of the regular season (and prior to the end of the Super Bowl) awards X amount of points, with predictions made at the start of the season.

I kind of like that. But I am also thinking of a bonus. If you own a team who gets a coach fired you get X points--maybe 2-5. You also get more if the GM gets fired. This means owning a suck team may pay off.

His Humble MagNIfIcence: That Didn't Happen--each player gets one "do over." You made a bad pick. I am thinking a player can either 1)Pick a different loser at a different time slot 2)Can post a primary and secondary pick.

That one intrigues me. I want to make sure it is not abused.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Captain
Title: Captain

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Post by Captain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:41 am

Any man breaks that rule spends a night in the box.
You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 am

Doctor X wrote:Keeping a list of potential tweaks. I have wanted to add some bit of prop betting--like betting how many coaches get fired. So here be a place to make suggestions.

ThiosyanlysomethingMordre(a)d: Prediction of the number of head coaches that are fired at the end of the regular season (and prior to the end of the Super Bowl) awards X amount of points, with predictions made at the start of the season.

I kind of like that. But I am also thinking of a bonus. If you own a team who gets a coach fired you get X points--maybe 2-5. You also get more if the GM gets fired. This means owning a suck team may pay off.

Another possible avenue is to pick a team to come in dead last at the beginning of the season or, say, by week 5 to lock in their pick, for X number of points. In other words, not a weekly pick to "own" the team but, rather, a bonus point pick similar to the coach firing suggestion. Think about it...at the beginning of this season Houston was pegged as a Super Bowl contender and most talking heads swore that Jacksonville wouldn't win a game.

Doctor X wrote:His Humble MagNIfIcence: That Didn't Happen--each player gets one "do over." You made a bad pick. I am thinking a player can either 1)Pick a different loser at a different time slot 2)Can post a primary and secondary pick.

That one intrigues me. I want to make sure it is not abused.

I'm not sure how it could be abused if everyone only gets an opportunity to use it once. I'd suggest that if you do it, that a person can only call for its use once. As an example, both picks should be made at one time. If the primary pick wins, then you get a shot at the secondary team losing. If the primary team loses, then that's the team you get regardless of what the secondary team does. In the latter scenario you would have used your "do over" even though you didn't need it simply because you called for it.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:40 am

Regarding the "do over" let us say I pick Cleveland to lose against . . . any team. Can then either declare at the time my "2nd Choice" is for Seattle to lose OR I can pick another team provided the game has not started.

If Cleveland loses that is the team I get. My only fear is that I could keep doing this until I lose my first pick. I have to think about that/get other opinions.

Now if Cleveland WINS--stop laughing!--then whether or not my "2nd Choice" wins or loses, that is it!

As for Pick the Loser that could be a prop bet in the beginning.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:05 am

Doctor X wrote:Regarding the "do over" let us say I pick Cleveland to lose against . . . any team. Can then either declare at the time my "2nd Choice" is for Seattle to lose OR I can pick another team provided the game has not started.

If Cleveland loses that is the team I get. My only fear is that I could keep doing this until I lose my first pick. I have to think about that/get other opinions.

Now if Cleveland WINS--stop laughing!--then whether or not my "2nd Choice" wins or loses, that is it!

That's why I'm suggesting that it be a one time only use, whether you benefit from it or not.

Now, you could have someone picking Cleveland for the early game and when that team wins, jumping on here to use their mulligan for one of the later games. Fine.

In a situation where, say, someone knows they won't be able to log in between early and late games OR wants to pick two teams playing at the same time (designating one as primary), I'm saying that if they choose to make a primary and secondary pick, they will burn their mulligan regardless of the outcome.

In other words:

Scenario 1
Primary: Cleveland (wins)
Secondary: Seattle (wins or loses)
Outcome: mulligan is burned, and player picks up Seattle provided they lose. If Seattle wins the player gets nothing.

Scenario 2
Primary: Cleveland (loses)
Outcome: mulligan is burned, and player picks up Cleveland.

This puts a limitation on the "didn't happen" rule, but gives the player the flexibility to use it for teams playing at the same time rather than being limited to whichever teams are available in the late games.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:20 am

Tiosylanyl wrote:In other words:

Scenario 1
Primary: Cleveland (wins)
Outcome: mulligan is burned, and player picks up Seattle provided they lose. If Seattle wins the player gets nothing.

Exactly!

Scenario 2
Primary: Cleveland (loses)
Outcome: mulligan is burned, and player picks up Cleveland.

I was thinking about that. That might force people to "be there" to make their second pick. Not everyone has that ability what with family, jobs, and various sexual improprieties. That may not be "fair" to someone who cannot be online during the games. I am not sure I want the "mulligan" burned.

--J.D.

grayman

Post by grayman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:18 am

How about picking the first team to have a player say or do something controversial? Three parts: pre-season, regular, and post season.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm not sure the "That never happened!" concept can be applied equally. It makes sense if you pick the Browns to lose against the Patriots and the Patriots manage to lose by 30 points. It doesn't make as much sense for evenly-matched teams. You could easily end up with people making two picks every week, in which case the Tiosylanyl Scenario 1 option makes more sense. I think you would have to erase the mulligan or limit it to one mulligan per season.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:39 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I'm not sure the "That never happened!" concept can be applied equally. It makes sense if you pick the Browns to lose against the Patriots and the Patriots manage to lose by 30 points. It doesn't make as much sense for evenly-matched teams. You could easily end up with people making two picks every week, in which case the Tiosylanyl Scenario 1 option makes more sense. I think you would have to erase the mulligan or limit it to one mulligan per season.

Limiting it to one per season was what I was going for. I'm not sure where the misunderstanding of that came in.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Well, it depends on whether or not one wants to "keep it" if you do not end up using it. Sure, someone could make "two picks a week" until it gets used, but then that is rather like picking low hanging fruit.

Problem with "controversial," grayman, is what defines "controversial?" Does a player who walked off the squad--Miami--count? What about a former player--Minnesota?

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Doctor X wrote:Well, it depends on whether or not one wants to "keep it" if you do not end up using it. Sure, someone could make "two picks a week" until it gets used, but then that is rather like picking low hanging fruit.

I wasn't suggesting that someone could make two picks every week until it gets used. Not at all. I was suggesting that someone could use their mulligan to make two picks before any games start, one as primary (Cleveland), one as secondary (Seattle). If Cleveland loses, the player gets Cleveland REGARDLESS of how the Seattle the game turns out. If Cleveland wins, then the player has a chance to pick up Seattle depending on whether or not Seattle loses. In either case, the player's one and only mulligan is still used and they cannot do it again for the rest of the season. If anything, they risk losing the advantage of the mulligan by doing this.

There are two advantages:

1. Players can use the mulligan and make two picks in advance, especially if they know they won't have an opportunity to log in and use the mulligan prior to the start of the late games.

2. They can pick two teams playing at the same time, again, with the caveat that they need to pick one as primary. This opens up more options for teams to pick.

The one possible exploit I can see with this is that someone could try using the mulligan to pick two teams playing each other, guaranteeing that they get one of the two teams. That said, it would be easy to make the rule that one cannot pick two teams playing one another in a given week.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Tiosylanyl wrote:I wasn't suggesting that someone could make two picks every week until it gets used. Not at all. I was suggesting that someone could use their mulligan to make two picks before any games start, one as primary (Cleveland), one as secondary (Seattle). If Cleveland loses, the player gets Cleveland REGARDLESS of how the Seattle the game turns out. If Cleveland wins, then the player has a chance to pick up Seattle depending on whether or not Seattle loses. In either case, the player's one and only mulligan is still used and they cannot do it again for the rest of the season. If anything, they risk losing the advantage of the mulligan by doing this.

No, that is how I thought you were putting it: you use your "mulligan" you lose your mulligan no matter what the outcome. I am not totally against that concept. My concern is it favors couch potatoes who can sit, watch how their game is going, then declare a mulligan. We have a real example: everyone who picked NE to lose to Denver. For the first half, awesome. Now the only ones who could play the "mulligan" would have been those players actively watching the game OR who just were worried about Denver losing and declared it before-hand.

Anyways, let us see what the peasants think.

The one possible exploit I can see with this is that someone could try using the mulligan to pick two teams playing each other, guaranteeing that they get one of the two teams. That said, it would be easy to make the rule that one cannot pick two teams playing one another in a given week.

I also thought of that. Originally, I was going to suggest that you had to either declare one for a later game and/or declare it during your game. See my problem with forcing players to "sit" watching games. Not everyone can do that every week.

I may very well consider that--force it to be a later game so you cannot just pick both teams to lose. I see the temptation: I would like to pick both the Eagles and NO to lose because who the fuck knows which team will show up to play?

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Okay, I was thinking maybe I wasn't explaining it effectively.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 pm

There are a couple of possibilities. A player who is a Squealers fan has an intriguing idea. I have asked him to e-mail me so I do not get it wrong. One of the scenarios we were thinking of is NE-Denver at NE and, say, Seattle-SF at SF. Whom do you pick? If you have saved your Mulligan, then you may be guaranteed points . . . unless you pick completely wrong on both!

Now if you risk losing your Mulligan if your first team "wins by losing" that puts a lot of risk. His is more complicated so I will let him write it up.

He also liked the idea of getting points for loss of a coach. ACTUALLY, this year would have been fantastic since a team fired their coach during the season--say 3-5 points--THEN fired the interim coach on Black Monday--say 2 points. I would have no problem with a dude getting that for that case. I am thinking something like:

Coach/GM fired before Week 8: 3-5
    Coach/GM fired by Black Friday--or that Week: 2-4

and rather than PICK the coach I would suggest you have to have the team before hand. That may allow an incentive to pick up bottom feeders.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Doctor X wrote:He also liked the idea of getting points for loss of a coach. ACTUALLY, this year would have been fantastic since a team fired their coach during the season--say 3-5 points--THEN fired the interim coach on Black Monday--say 2 points. I would have no problem with a dude getting that for that case. I am thinking something like:

Coach/GM fired before Week 8: 3-5
    Coach/GM fired by Black Friday--or that Week: 2-4

and rather than PICK the coach I would suggest you have to have the team before hand. That may allow an incentive to pick up bottom feeders.

I rather like that idea rather than my original suggestion, though I think it's a bit more complex to maintain. I would suggest the following tweaks though:

1. Keep it to head coaches.
2. If the coach is fired during the regular season 3-5 points
3. If the coach is fired between the conclusion of week 17 and the Super Bowl 2-4 points

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Other suggestions to make bottom feeders more attractive is to award X points for the following:

1. Owning the team with the worst total offense (in yards) through week 17.
2. Owning the team with the worst total defense (in yards allowed) through week 17.
3. Owning the team with the fewest total points scored through week 17.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:33 pm

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Tiosylanyl

Post by Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46 pm

By the way, what is a Thrad?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

A common misspelling done by t3h k00l kidz of the intert00bez.

N00B!!!11!!

--J.D.