The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Re: The NFL "Sorry to Make You Cry" Suggestion Thrad

Postby Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 pm

Doctor X wrote:Image

Clearly.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:59 pm

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:10 pm

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:42 pm

Radrick wrote:Mulligan. You pick a team to lose, but not real confident. So you choose to use your mulligan. You choose a alternate team. At the half your 1st pick is winning. Your mulligan kicks in and at the half your alternate pick is now your pick regardless of the score of alternate pick. Your alternate pick can be the opposing team in your 1st choice or a completely different team.

Having talked with him the idea is to introduce risk to the Mulligan. His example was NE-Denver--say you picked Denver to lose but declare a "mulligan" of . . . I do not know . . . the Pirates against the Cubs. Since Indy is beating NE by 24 points at the half you default to your "mulligan." Whether or not your Mulligan "wins" you do not get "back" Denver.

Or: Doctor X Extra Greedy Bonus: everyone gets, once, a second pick. Yes, you can pick both teams of one team to guarantee points--unless there is a tie! We pick losers, not tiers! Or a riskier player could pick the NE-Denver and SF-Sea games . . . if he "wins" he could get like 24 points rather than 13 . . . or he could get nothing. Obviously that is a one-time. I can add a ⎙ or something to the players and remove when it is taken.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Is his suggestion taking my original premise, but introducing a way to deal with the couchpotatoeswithoutanythngbettertodo that you mentioned earlier?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:19 am

Sort of. I mentioned what you wrote. He would like to keep an element of risk.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:12 am

You mentioned once... and I think it has merit... to have the previous year's champion be able to name the team the Meanie Points center around.

I would ask for tradition's sake that it still be named the ExtraEvidencesDr.XMeaniebonus and Doctor X is a MEANIE Point bonuses.

If we implement that, what of the DoNotJudgeOthersbyYourStandardsCHARLEY_BIGTIMEbonus rule, however?
Last edited by gnome on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 am

Some other random ideas, may be fun, may be dumb:

In the rain bonus: if someone earns points for a game, they get +1 point if it rained at the location of the field during the game. (that way covered stadiums aren't immune).

or, some other reason to give +1 having nothing to do with actual rain. I just like the name of the rule.

Friendship and Ponies bonus: I'm not sure what "n" should be set at, but +2 for owning a team that starts the season at 0-n (losing streak) but makes it to the playoffs anyway. "They could still make it!!!!" should be the idea here. How many games can you lose and still technically have a possible playoff slot?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:34 am

Well, technically, you lose nine games and make the playoffs in that teams have won a division with a 7-9 record. 8-8 is more common. However, given scheduling, a team might just eliminate itself because of loses in the division. For example, if you have an "unbalanced" schedule in that you play the same division team twice prior to Week 8 and lose both, you have to imagine epic collapses to overcome tie-breaker. This is why 10-6/11-5 teams do not make the playoffs some years. So I am not sure "what" number would work.

An NFL historian could probably tell what was the worse opening to make a play-off. The worse record to make a playoff is still the 7-9 Seamen who won their Division! They also won their Wild Card home game to?

The Faints

However:

Using the league alignment and scheduling instituted by the NFL in 2002, it is possible for all four teams in a division to be 3-13; one of them will have to be the winner. In this scenario, each team loses 4 inter-conference games and 6 intra-conference games for 10 total losses. Additionally, each team in the division splits with each other divisional opponent for 3 more losses.

It is also possible to win the division with a 0-10-6 record. Each team must tie in all games with divisional opponents, then lose the rest of their games. One team will win a tie breaker and win the division. It is very unlikely, but theoretically possible. Imagine that, a team makes the playoffs with no wins!

Linkypoo

The various MEANIE points are sort of a tradition. RCC started it to tweak me against the Patriots. He also refused to recognize Thursday games which was, frankly, idiotic given the NFL's attempts to put premier games on Thursday . . . even though they fail. Could you imagine NOT picking on Thanksgiving? Anyways, when I took over I decided to tweak the Squealer fans such as Charley as well as add a balance given I would not pick NE. If you review the games I have tested the the effects of the MP. NOT being able to pick the Pats is a greater detriment than having the Meanie Points.

Let us see what the peasants think.

--J.D.

I could consider letting a winner pick a

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:50 am

Fasciniating stats!

As far as the potential value of "n" I would settle on something that is rare but achievable. If it never, ever happens except that one time, it's not much use putting it in. In my mind I see something that occurs maybe one in three years.
--Soldier, TF2

Malfie Henpox

Postby Malfie Henpox » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am

[picture]

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:04 pm

I could certainly institute a My Coward Bitch Siobhán Bonus where every time a player makes him cry and wet himself we all get a point.

--J.D.

Malfie Henpox

Postby Malfie Henpox » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:07 pm

Pffft. NFL players couldn't even make a whoopsy cry.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Everyone gets a point!

A RIVER to my people!

--J.D.

Malfie Henpox

Postby Malfie Henpox » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:56 pm

And another! I must have a bladder like a traction engine!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

But then, I would need an extra-pair of hands to count up all of the points every time I sent My Bitch into an incontinent tantrum.

Never mind. Too much math.

--J.D.

Malfie Henpox

Postby Malfie Henpox » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:38 am

Got me on ignore yet, treacle toes? Soon. X

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 am

So now that My Bitch is crying over multiple threads, returning to the business at hand we have:

Mulligan: see various forms above.

Tiosyde Bonus: if your team has a coach and/or GM fired by Brack Fliday . . . sorry . . . "Japanese Original" . . . Black Friday you get 1-2 points. Before the "Mid-Point"--arbitrarily Week 8-9--3-5 points. Exact points to be discussed. Resignation does not count. I would count what happened with the Texans: fire a coach then fire the interim coach as separate events worth t3h pointage! :hyper:

Doctor X The Humble Yet [Get on with it!--Ed.] Greedy Bonus: once during the regular season you may pick two games. Perhaps the same game twice to guarantee a win. Of course, as "smart player" who gets two great teams basically picks up tons of points! :eager:

To the Victor Goes the MEANIES I like the MEANIE points for NE and then Steelers. People have asked about players also having a MEANIE team. I thought of letting the winner not only pick the theme but pick a team that EITHER gains him a point if you pick against it--like My MEANIE POINTS--which are mine--OR like the Charley/NE where beating the Steelers/NE gives you an extra point.

The only problem with that is it may give the really good player an extra advantage.

--J.D.

Tiosylanyl

Postby Tiosylanyl » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 am

Doctor X wrote:
Tiosyde Bonus: if your team has a coach and/or GM fired by Brack Fliday . . . sorry . . . "Japanese Original" . . . Black Friday you get 1-2 points. Before the "Mid-Point"--arbitrarily Week 8-9--3-5 points. Exact points to be discussed. Resignation does not count. I would count what happened with the Texans: fire a coach then fire the interim coach as separate events worth t3h pointage! :hyper:

The only problem I have with the "mid-point" is that coach firings at any point during the regular season tend to be pretty rare, usually limited to teams that are eliminated from playoff contention really early. Most firings tend to take place on the day following the conclusion of Week 17, which is why I think the 3-5 points should apply to any firings that occur during the full regular season, with the 1-2 points being awarded for firings occurring from the conclusion of the final game of the regular season through the end of the Super Bowl.

If you insist a mid-point in the regular season I would then suggest week 13 as that usually serves as the end of the "regular" season for Fantasy Football.

Doctor X wrote:Doctor X The Humble Yet [Get on with it!--Ed.] Greedy Bonus: once during the regular season you may pick two games. Perhaps the same game twice to guarantee a win. Of course, as "smart player" who gets two great teams basically picks up tons of points! :eager:

I'd do this OR the mulligan, but not both. I actually like this better.

Doctor X wrote:To the Victor Goes the MEANIES I like the MEANIE points for NE and then Steelers. People have asked about players also having a MEANIE team. I thought of letting the winner not only pick the theme but pick a team that EITHER gains him a point if you pick against it--like My MEANIE POINTS--which are mine--OR like the Charley/NE where beating the Steelers/NE gives you an extra point.

The only problem with that is it may give the really good player an extra advantage.

If you were to implement this as a feature, I'd say that the person shouldn't be able to pick up the team generating their MEANIE POINTS, in the same manner as you with NE.

My concern with this is if it is YOU who wins [Boo Hiss!--Ed.] you would then have two teams that generate MEANIE POINTS for you.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”